Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been thinking about this tranny for a while....who is running it? What is involved in getting it to work correctly? Is there anyone that makes an install kit for it? The 2speed isnt a problem, the GV OD kit will solve that problem.

Jason

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
I've been running a glide for a while. I used adapter plate stuff where you keep the GM bellhousing and converter. Using this setup you need to thump the tunnel a little for clearance, but you can also use a Ultrabell bellhousing or a Dedenbear case which are SFI approved. I made a small adapter for the rear trans support, and then you need to make a driveshaft, and mount a shifter (I used a quarterstick).

·
Registered
558 Posts
I ran it behind my 2jzgte...which a couple of companies make adapters for it so installation is straightforward and the same as installing a Turbo 400 or Turbo 350 tranny.

Personally, I did not like the Glide at all because I liked to drive on the street and the glides first gear is so High (numerically low) it is less then ideal for around town driving and often requires a higher stall converter then would be necessary in a turbo400 or 350, thus more slipping of the tranny, more heat, more wear etc. As far as at the track, it was fine.

If I could do it over I would go with a Turbo400 or Turbo350, unless your goal is drag race only, but you stated you were going to use an overdrive which indicates you intend a fair amount of street driving.

Just my 02...

Dave

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave,
Thanks for the reply. By the term "thumping" the tunnel...exactly where, do the above mentioned case's keep from having to do this? Also, will the standard TH350/400 adapter work for the glide also? As far as building a glide for our cars, do you have any reccomended specs? How do I spec out a driveshaft...sorry for so many questions Dave.
Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW,
do you use a hybrid converter...or do you have a GM flexplate also?
Jason

·
Registered
558 Posts
You can use a standard off the shelf GM converter with the flexplate I had(which I think I got from Bullish Racing as I recall)

The adapter plate I just fabricated myself out of 1/2 inch aluminum, as, at the time, companies were charging about 800 dollars for the same thing. I guess they've come down in price a lot.

Dave

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
"fast automatic" runs a glide and drives it daily. pm him or maybe he'll chime.

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
Jason, if you plan on doing much street driving at all, I suggest a th350 or 400.
You only have 2 gears with the glide, and 2nd is a 1:1 ratio(same with th350-400). What that means is you will have to have a large stall(especially for a turbo 6 banger) and that will create heat and lots of it.
Turbohatch(mike, with the TT 351 stroker) asked the same q, and even though he is making a LOT more tq down low, IIRC everyone even recommended he go with a 3 speed auto also

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
slither said:
Jason, if you plan on doing much street driving at all, I suggest a th350 or 400.
You only have 2 gears with the glide, and 2nd is a 1:1 ratio(same with th350-400). What that means is you will have to have a large stall(especially for a turbo 6 banger) and that will create heat and lots of it.
Turbohatch(mike, with the TT 351 stroker) asked the same q, and even though he is making a LOT more tq down low, IIRC everyone even recommended he go with a 3 speed auto also
If I do this, I plan on getting the GV OD unit for it, so technically it will be a 4-speed :bigthumb:

·
Registered
558 Posts
But, won't that only effect the upper gear? It won't effect 1st will it, or am I mistaken? First gear is the "problem", that makes street driving rather sluggish(unless leaving on the transbrake with boost...lol) with its approximately 1.76 ratio...

Dave

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
turbodg said:
But, won't that only effect the upper gear? It won't effect 1st will it, or am I mistaken? First gear is the "problem", that makes street driving rather sluggish(unless leaving on the transbrake with boost...lol) with its approximately 1.76 ratio...

Dave
The GV has a 1st OD and a 2nd OD so I guess you are right about that one.

Jason

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
More info:

"The GEAR VENDORS in a combination with the Powerglide is an affordable, reliable, and very efficient package. This is a superior alternative for most cars looking to go to a 3-speed. The GEAR VENDORS .78 to 1 ratio allows you to go to a numerically higher rear gear to improve your 60ft. times and get it all back with the overdrive. The reciprocal of our ratio is 1.28 so a car that currently runs a 4.56 rear could go to a 5.84 without loss of top end. You will have these improvements with reduced cost, greater reliability, and lower parasitic losses when compared to 3-speeds. Using a lower rear end ratio also lets you keep a close ratio spread on your glide for more power at the 1-2 shift. Most cars with 1200hp or less will also find benefit in using 1st-over which will net a really nice 4spd spread of 1.76, 1.33, 1.00, 0.78.

The overdrive is switched on with 12-volts and so is easily adapted to steering wheel buttons or automated through our Auto-Shift sequencer. The product is ideally suited in stock form for cars with 1200hp or less and in this case is virtually indestructible, literally running for seasons of use without maintenance other than fluid. Cars with more than 1200+ horsepower can be accommodated but you should call the factory so hydraulic issues dealing with clutch ramp timing can be properly adjusted for your application weight and hp."

-directly from the GV site

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
I would assume(you know what that does!) that even with the 1st gear OD, you still will need a high stall due to the fact that you have the inline 6

·
Registered
9,760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
slither said:
I would assume(you know what that does!) that even with the 1st gear OD, you still will need a high stall due to the fact that you have the inline 6
cant get much higher than I have now, LOL :bigthumb:

·
Registered
6,780 Posts
HotSoup said:
cant get much higher than I have now, LOL :bigthumb:
LOL, trust me it can. Right now your first gear is steeper than that of a glide, which means you can get away with the smaller stall due to more gear in 1st.

·
Registered
4,697 Posts
If you still have the TRAC, put the fuse in, select MANU mode, and take off in 2nd. That is close to what the glide will feel like taking off!

The best option for the Powerglide for street use is to switch the the NA 4.27 gear. Then you can use the GV overdrive and go thru all 4 gears at the track. The final drive on the street would work out to be 3.33 in OD, not too bad.

Al

·
Boost Junkie
12,694 Posts
That seems like a lot of work and expense and I don't believe the GV kit has been proven with high hp applications at the track has it? Personally I would go with a TH400. You'll have 2 gears before you get to the 1/1 gear (vs only 1 with the glide) and you can run a lower stall, which will give you more top end for the street. Plus these trannies have been proven over and over again to be very reliable. If/When I blow up my BL trans I'll probably switch over to a 400.

Steve K.

·
!black
4,622 Posts
Evill Supra said:
That seems like a lot of work and expense and I don't believe the GV kit has been proven with high hp applications at the track has it?
The GV OD is rated around 1200hp, with a beefier version available. I watched a torque monster 526" hemi run stupid-fast times and still drive home w/ OD.

·
Registered
558 Posts
T6Rocket said:
If you still have the TRAC, put the fuse in, select MANU mode, and take off in 2nd. That is close to what the glide will feel like taking off!
Actually, its nearly identical to taking off in 3rd gear not second on your six speed! 3rd gear on a Six speed is a 1.68 ratio whereas the powerglides first
gear is in the 1.70 range!

Thats why I disliked my Powerglide for street driving, it was sluggish as hell around town, unless one is on the transbrake at everylight leaving at 5000rpm under boost!

Yeah, you can drive it on the street, but, I sure didn't like it! A Turbo400 or 350 would have been a lot more zippy around town! Imagine having to drive your Supra around starting in Third Gear from Every stop you make! Can you say slippage and dog!

Dave

·
!black
4,622 Posts
turbodg said:
Actually, its nearly identical to taking off in 3rd gear not second on your six speed! 3rd gear on a Six speed is a 1.68 ratio whereas the powerglides first
gear is in the 1.70 range!

Thats why I disliked my Powerglide for street driving, it was sluggish as hell around town, unless one is on the transbrake at everylight leaving at 5000rpm under boost!

Yeah, you can drive it on the street, but, I sure didn't like it! A Turbo400 or 350 would have been a lot more zippy around town! Imagine having to drive your Supra around starting in Third Gear from Every stop you make! Can you say slippage and dog!

Dave

I couldn't see using a PG w/ a 3.13 rear end :eek:

4.27 NA + OD + 28" tires = ~3K @75 (+/- how much rpm raise by the converter type).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts