Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, so im installing gauges in my 97 TT, and this is my first time. I found a handy write up (https://www.supraforums.com/threads/gauges-wb-made-easy-writeup-included.521301/) using a relay and terminal. I liked this because it allowed me to manage things better than tapping my radio, clock, and the cig lighter. Im just a tad confused on how to get direct power from the battery to power the relay. Do I have to tap my wiring harness? I saw these battery terminals where I can run an 8 gauge wire from it and connect it to my relay. And then, from the relay, I run to ground, 12v switch from add a fuse, and 12v switch power to the terminal. Or am I getting this whole thing wrong and am I not supposed to run direct power from the battery to the fuse.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If it's just for gauges you don't need 8ga. You'll be fine with 12-16 on a ring terminal.
And just connect the ring terminal to the battery clamp? I feel like it would look cleaner with a new battery terminal and run a large gauge wire. Unless you just can't run 8 gauge.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
For gauges, since they are low amp devices, just power them from the add-a-fuse, and put the add-a-fuse on one of the fuses in the interior driver's kick panel fuse box. You don't need to run more heavy wire from the battery, and you don't need another relay.

How many gauges are you installing?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For gauges, since they are low amp devices, just power them from the add-a-fuse, and put the add-a-fuse on one of the fuses in the interior driver's kick panel fuse box. You don't need to run more heavy wire from the battery, and you don't need another relay.

Im installing 3 AEM gauges. I thought it was a cool idea to do the terminal idea. The power from the battery is for the relay. Then you connect the add a fuse to the relay. I like the idea of doing the terminal because I can add any accessories I acquire.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I was using this pinout made by slither. I liked the idea and thought it would work well for my application.

Attachments

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
Understood about slither's diagram, but I'm telling you that the Seat Heater fuse is already switched by a relay and can handle your gauges plus a lot more. Run the add-a-fuse from the Seat Heater fuse to the terminal block (or a Wago lever-nut, also mentioned in that thread).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood about slither's diagram, but I'm telling you that the Seat Heater fuse is already switched by a relay and can handle your gauges plus a lot more. Run the add-a-fuse from the Seat Heater fuse to the terminal block (or a Wago lever-nut, also mentioned in that thread).
Thanks, that's a lot simpler than what I was about to take on. Thank you for helping me. I'll run the add a fuse to my terminal.

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
^ Watch out for those terminals...if you're setting one up for + voltage, you'll need to protect it from getting hit with tools, loose wires, etc.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
^ Watch out for those terminals...if you're setting one up for + voltage, you'll need to protect it from getting hit with tools, loose wires, etc.
They come with a plastic cover im sure that's enough protection if not ill get the lever nut ones. Also, do you know exactly which fuse is the seat heater in the kick panel?

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,233 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts