Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done a few searches and couldn't come up with much information on Powermist. Has anyone had any experience with this fuel? I've read on here that others swear by it, but has any MKIV owners used this fuel on high-boost applications?

A local dealer told me Powermist TO134 is hands down better than C-16. He says he sells both, but Powermist is cheaper because shipping is included in the costs.

On the Powermist website, it says TO 134 is a oxygenated fuel rated at 113 motor octane. Specific gravity is .722 and it has 2% oxygen. I can get this stuff for around $9/gallon.

I'm no expert with race fuel.. I stuck with c12 last summer and it worked well for me. Does anyone know the difference with running an oxygenated fuel? I read it makes more power, but you also have to adjust the fuel curve. Is there any drawbacks to an oxygenated fuel? And when adjusting the fuel curve, should I take out or add fuel?

I'd appreciate any input,

Mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
more oxygen in fuel = more oxygen in the chemical reaction. This means that if you're intaking X units of oxygen through the turbo and the fuel has Y units of oxygen in it, you have X+Y units of oxygen in the combustion chamber for that reaction. This means that if Y is really large due to oxygenation that you need more fuel to account for that extra oxygen. Oxygen essentially displaces fuel in the gasoline. It's usually not THAT big a deal if you're tuned for it on a conservative map.

~Tim

·
Registered
13,581 Posts

·
The need for speed
1,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Nick, I looked through that thread in my search but couldn't find anything specific to the "TO134". Although it is nice to hear that people have had good luck with it. I plan to use this for high boost applications, and wasn't too sure how the oxygenated fuel was going to affect my tuning.

Timdog: Thanks for the input, very helpful! I usually run a conservative tune (11.2 at WOT) so I'll make sure I keep it there on higher boost levels.

I've read that with C16/VP Import you can pretty much throw tons of timing at the car and not worry about detonation. Hopefully this will be similar with TO134, I'll let everyone know how I make out with it.

-mike

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yeah, timing and compression ratio (if you're building an engine from scratch) are two of the biggest gains when it comes to race fuel because the increased cylinder pressures help break the more complex chemical bonds in the higher octane fuels. The fuel less readily explodes because it is more complex, so it can withstands higher loads of heat, pressure, and temperature (which is different than heat input in an Int. Comb. engine).

Boost can go up quite a bit with added octane for the same reason, however, adding boost is kind of burning the wick at both ends since generally speaking on anything but an extreme setup, more boost = more heat, so you're adding pressure and heat at once instead of just pressure with the timing.

Anyway, enough. Sounds like good stuff, definately worth a shot!

~Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts