Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i cleaned my engine yesterday and everything was fine i drove it around, its all good. this morning i go and start it and the engine rev's up to 2300 rpm then drops to 1200 rpm then back up. it keeps doing that and wont stop.

I went and check to see if i knocked of a vac line or some thing i didn't see anything obvious. I thought it might be the TPS so i unplugged it and when i started it went up to 3000 rpm and stayed there.. I don't know if that's whats supposed to happen?

So I'm out of ideas and i could use some help.

Thanks!

· Registered
1,374 Posts
this happened to metwo days ago except i didnt spray my motor down.....what had happened was that there was a bolt in the intercooler piping and it sucked it into the throttle body...my motor shot up to 7000 on startup which pissed me off and scared the shit outta me.....sooo i left it all night without turning it on and it started fine the next morning......i think it tripped the computer or something.......like said up top yu probably got water in the spark plugs..

· Banned
5,915 Posts
You don't spray the engine. Never.

All you need to do is spray the firewall and shock towers. You should never point a water hose to the engine itself.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you probable filled the spark access holes with water and are not shorting out the spark plugs. You need to remove value cover 3 and dry out those holes
Well got it running right. There was water/oil mix in the valley (I'm going to replace my valve cover gaskets on my next day off) I sucked most of it out. I replaced the ISC with a used one and some cracked hoses. That did the trick it seems to be running fine now.

Thanks for your help!:)

· *SNICKER SNICKER*
981 Posts
The erratic idle (bouncing between 1200-2500) has nothing to do with the water/oil in your spark plug wells people. If this was the issue, it would perhaps mis-fire badly but it would still idle at one constant speed. Yes you need to get the water and oil out but, this is not the cause of your symptom.

You got water in your ISC valve when you washed your engine and it stuck. When they go, and get stuck, this is what happens.

I've seen this problem too many times and I know this is the issue. You are lucky the problem went away on its own! That part new from Toyota is IIRC over 300 bux! Next time, you might not get so lucky, and they are so much FUN to replace while in the car! If the part fails down the road and your idle starts jumping around again, you know why now!

· Registered
32 Posts
The erratic idle (bouncing between 1200-2500) has nothing to do with the water/oil in your spark plug wells people. If this was the issue, it would perhaps mis-fire badly but it would still idle at one constant speed. Yes you need to get the water and oil out but, this is not the cause of your symptom.

You got water in your ISC valve when you washed your engine and it stuck. When they go, and get stuck, this is what happens.

I've seen this problem too many times and I know this is the issue. You are lucky the problem went away on its own! That part new from Toyota is IIRC over 300 bux! Next time, you might not get so lucky, and they are so much FUN to replace while in the car! If the part fails down the road and your idle starts jumping around again, you know why now!
thank you... i was just about to say this until i read your post. my isc valve wiring got messed up because of how old it was so the engine would rev to like 3000 and drop and rev and drop. so i had to clip the connector off and wire each wire in to the plug separately with small female wire connectors. not fun, especially in the ymca parking lot, but that was the only thing i could do. but back to topic, it was definitley the isc valve, not water in the plug galley.

· "Yeah! Take the lemons.."
1,022 Posts
What if your engine is covered in 3/4th's of layered and aged mucky oil. Everywhere from below the cam covers to the drive shaft.

It's still not okay to spray the engine directly? There's no way I can get it all by hand w/o tearing it down.

I'm removing it with the tranny anyway and swapping in a clean 50k 7mgte but I'm just curious if it weren't for the swap.

· Registered
229 Posts
What if your engine is covered in 3/4th's of layered and aged mucky oil. Everywhere from below the cam covers to the drive shaft.

It's still not okay to spray the engine directly? There's no way I can get it all by hand w/o tearing it down.

I'm removing it with the tranny anyway and swapping in a clean 50k 7mgte but I'm just curious if it weren't for the swap.
take everything that is electrical off and then dry it off once u spray it and u'll be fine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.