Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this just sounds insaine, if they blew that easily they woulda been recalled from toyota. Nissan RB's have the same ceramic design turbos, and they have no problem goin 20+psi.

For ppl that blew stock turbos, please post, maybe we can find something common your doing that makes em blow. Personally i run 20psi on them every day of the week i drive 100mi a day, and not one prob for over 6 months.

What was your setup when they blown?
Auto tranny, manual tranny? Stock exhaust, modded exhaust(include dp, ypipe, cats, mufflers, etc)? Stock BOV, aftermarket BOV? Stock SMIC, aftermarket FMIC? Thermostat, no thermostat? Average water temp?

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
they're just 10-15 years old and people start to beat on them, they just give out.. thats my opinion.. I seriously think its probably overspinning the turbos.. some last some dont.. just like ct26s.. eventually they die.. toyota just sucks at making turbos.. were as Nissans use well made garretts..

I dont think the Rb turbos are ceramic??

·
i <3 supra
1,254 Posts
not true, my friends stock turbo on his sr20 240 blew when he was running 14-17 psi, and then he fried his engine cause the turbo starved the motor of oil.........

·
Akai Suisei - &#36196;&#12356;&#24407;&#26143;
10,376 Posts
They're old ticking time bombs. Some last longer than others, but they all seem to go eventually whether they're run at high boost or stock.

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
SupraSpeed-1jz said:
not true, my friends stock turbo on his sr20 240 blew when he was running 14-17 psi, and then he fried his engine cause the turbo starved the motor of oil.........
I didn't mean they never blow..

probably the best factory turbo has to be mistu turbos though.. they take one hell of a beating and still keep going!

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,992 Posts
I've claimed 4 sets, all on diffrent settings

First 2 sets were on an auto tranny, 16psi, Blitz Nur spec, with a safc tune. Exploded the same night I ran a 13.4 Cracked blades, and soaked in oil., and the others were seal related

The 2nd two sets I was 5 speed BPU, 440s, y pipe, dp, intake, exhaust, rough SAFC tune. I claimed the life of them both ~1.1 bar. They started getting sloppy.. and pretty soon I was boosting 7psi and blowing smoke.

·
67mm of pleasure
852 Posts
I drive a ton on my car every day, it sees pulls everyday @19psi, 3'' turbo back w/ hiflo cat and bpu mods, nothing here (knock on wood)

Also, that 19psi is in MO weather, which is 90* in the mornings, 90+ humidity, and blistering sun. All on stock fmic, pipes, bov,etc.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I dont run a thermstat in my car.. runs 160-175 tops. I think heat has everything to do with them blowing since OEM water temp is in the 210+ range.

·
Former 1.5jz-Powered MKIV
649 Posts
I was running 5 speed BPU; y pipe/dp combo with a 3" high flow cat(needed because my turbos did smoke after the swap, so it was a ticking timebomb),HKS megaflow intake, HKS Catback Hi power exhaust and HKS SLD. I was just boosting just under 1.1 bar. But here's another thing too, I was downshifting like crazy the day before(racing an STI), and all day Sunday until the late afternoon when they finally blew. My turbos had 30K miles on them when I got the front clip, so they were definitly abuse by the previous owner in Japan.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My motor had 35k miles on it from the swap.. OEM timimg belt still in good condition was the proof. Turbos had a tad of oil in them, but its been 6+ months and they work better then ever. It must be a downshift/sudden change of boost thing with manual tranny cars

·
Former 1.5jz-Powered MKIV
649 Posts
VJ RC51 said:
It must be a downshift/sudden change of boost thing with manual tranny cars

I was thinking about that too, cause I was really working it, and not to metion that it's been hot as hell down here in socal, 105 degree weather....I can normal push 14lbs on a cool day, but when I blew them up I was only doing 11 lbs cause of the humidity outside....

·
Akai Suisei - &#36196;&#12356;&#24407;&#26143;
10,376 Posts
oi

I heard that. the weather down here is terrible. heat soak is a BITCH

·
Not so boring anymore
7,085 Posts
maybe bov then?

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A turbo XS RFL BOV with the hose flange for an evo 8 is a direct replacement for the OEM bov. Its what i run. My stock BOV wasnt even working.... compressor surge with a 1JZ sounds just like a BOV.... something to keep in mind.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
well, it is possible that the engine is seeing a rapid temperature swing on engine braking and downshifting... after a hard pull, then dropping throttle and downshifting. when you drop throttle, the fuel is completely shut off... so your engine just turns into a huge air pump. so what if it starts pumping cool uncombusted air thru the turbines and the temperature swing shocks the turbnie and makes micro crackes. then, over time, high shaft RPM w/ these microcracks is just what it needs to blow apart?

btw, Nissan turbos use plastic compressor wheels too. i want to say the RB25's do. my friend had a D16 single cam EK hatch w/ a nice turbo setup. they used one of the turbos from the RB25... plastic compressor, ceramic turbine.

·
MKIV SUPRA FREAK
1,738 Posts
mine blew at 20psi. ran it for two months. than stored the car for the winter. following spring i brought her out and was just cruisin and before i knew it..black smoke everywhere. i was going 25mph just cruisin.

·
I'll nevAr go single!
994 Posts
VJ RC51 said:
if they blew that easily they woulda been recalled from toyota

I think the same question has been asked about the 7M's headgasket's......

In both cases, old cars. Think about it, most people get theirs from a JZA70, which ran what, maybe till '93 tops I believe? Just because they mite be low on miles dosnt mean they where not driven hard, and they are old, and I doubt many people baby their 1JZ swap on a daily basis, more like abuse them, even if just slightly :D

·
Local Tire Destroyer
1,008 Posts
you know what... i'd rather blow a ct12 from overspinning than blow an RB26DETT from over-revving

i've done both
the toyota was an easy fix

1 - 20 of 29 Posts