Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious if anyone knew of anyone who made pre 89 solid mounts. Looking for square ones, can't find anything about them. Thanks,
Matt

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
thats fine and dandy, but the square mounts are far superior to the round mounts and i have yet to see one break. itd be easier if you took your mounts to a welder and have him weld the upper shell to the lower half with a 1/2" piece of flat steel and spend 10 bucks... then youll have instant solid mounts.

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
flubyux2 said:
thats fine and dandy, but the square mounts are far superior to the round mounts and i have yet to see one break. itd be easier if you took your mounts to a welder and have him weld the upper shell to the lower half with a 1/2" piece of flat steel and spend 10 bucks... then youll have instant solid mounts.
I have seen three [3] separate sets of early motor mounts torn where the rubber attaches to the metal. They may appear more reliable than the liquid-filled mounts, but are subject to failure like any other part on the car.

BTW: Solid mounts suck, unless you like vibration & odd harmonics. Mine are slated for removal.

·
Banned
1,731 Posts
Agreed. My semi solid ones suck. I would rather replace mounts yearly than put up with the vibrations.

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
hmm, interesting. i thought there was something inside like a flanged piece of the motormount shell that kept the mount from tearing completely in two and coming apart. my old roommate said he broke one of the early mounts on the dyno but i thought he was just full of shit, cuz he usually is.

i put full solid mounts in when i did the 1jz car and it vibrates alot and when the clutch chatters, you can feel it in the whole car. at night you can see the light flicker as the headlights vibrate. its crazy really...

replacing motor mounts yearly is one way to keep a smooth driving car... but the money it costs to do that is what worries me.

i wonder if 2j mounts could be retrofitted...

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I just use the solid mounts. I love the vibration... makes the car feel like a performance car rather than a luxury landbarge. Plus, I don't have to watch the tach anymore, I can feel what the RPMs are at. :)

As for solid early style mounts, JBL makes them.

http://www.jblmk3.com/

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,984 Posts
Mike 92LX said:
Agreed. My semi solid ones suck. I would rather replace mounts yearly than put up with the vibrations.
Shi+, I was actually going to try the semi-solid before going back to OEM. Thnx for saving me the extra work.
;)
I'm less concerned about comfort, than reliability. The vibration that solid mounts add to the chassis feel bad. Bad in the same vein that a recent post/thread mentioned with regard to engine block flexing & the need for a flexible mount to compensate.
YMMV.

Take care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts