Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Prices went up on PT turbos as of May by $220 IIRC. I think it's bullshit, anybody else care to put in their $0.02?

Regards,
Kevin
 

·
I CAN HAS WELFARE
Joined
·
3,413 Posts
You pay for what you get...PTE Is simply thebest around.
 

·
LexusTico
Joined
·
3,172 Posts
whoa I'm glad I got mine when I did... in fact maybe I should get a few more and sell them for a profit but still cheaper than PT :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,427 Posts
I would buy from the owner of the circus aka Garrett. No need to be paying $200 extra for the not-improved-turbo.

All of a sudden the Garrett GTxxxx turbos are more appealing, even the BB ones.

I do currently have a PTE turbo, I wonder what caused the price increase? popularity? dramatic sales increase?

PTE turbos were the best priced Garrett clones on the market.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,460 Posts
Grumpy said:
I would buy from the owner of the circus aka Garrett. No need to be paying $200 extra for the not-improved-turbo.

All of a sudden the Garrett GTxxxx turbos are more appealing, even the BB ones.

I do currently have a PTE turbo, I wonder what caused the price increase? popularity? dramatic sales increase?

PTE turbos were the best priced Garrett clones on the market.
Garrett has been inceasing their wholesale prices I believe a significant amount, leading to PTE's increase.
 

·
Official SF BS Detector
Joined
·
177 Posts
Grumpy said:
I would buy from the owner of the circus aka Garrett. No need to be paying $200 extra for the not-improved-turbo.

All of a sudden the Garrett GTxxxx turbos are more appealing, even the BB ones.

I do currently have a PTE turbo, I wonder what caused the price increase? popularity? dramatic sales increase?

PTE turbos were the best priced Garrett clones on the market.
Can you explain your views? PTE uses Garrett components for their turbos. They are not "clones" of the Garrett. They are either full Garett turbos or turbos they get from Garrett that are then modified to work better for high performance applications instead of diesel trucks. PTE casts quick spool turbine housings that allow our small motors to spool these turbos. They modify compressor covers so they fit our cars. They combine various Garrett wheels and components along with PTE housings to provide a turbo that WORKS. Is it wrong to get paid to research and develop and manufacture a turbo line that works so well? Maybe you have the tools to take apart and rebuild and ballance a turbo in your basement, but nobody I know does.

I think what you stated is quite unfair.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
Can you explain your views? PTE uses Garrett components for their turbos. They are not "clones" of the Garrett. They are either full Garett turbos or turbos they get from Garrett that are then modified to work better for high performance applications instead of diesel trucks. PTE casts quick spool turbine housings that allow our small motors to spool these turbos. They modify compressor covers so they fit our cars. They combine various Garrett wheels and components along with PTE housings to provide a turbo that WORKS. Is it wrong to get paid to research and develop and manufacture a turbo line that works so well? Maybe you have the tools to take apart and rebuild and ballance a turbo in your basement, but nobody I know does.

I think what you stated is quite unfair.
PTE 70mm and 76mm w/ the anti-compressor cover... thats a HKS T51R knockoff if I've ever seen one :lol: Face it they do clone other turbo's out there. I'd expect sales to drop :) IMO the only reason these turbo's became so popular is due to their price.. take that away and people will start finding alternatives..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
679 Posts
Chucky Doll said:
PTE 70mm and 76mm w/ the anti-compressor cover... thats a HKS T51R knockoff if I've ever seen one :lol: Face it they do clone other turbo's out there. I'd expect sales to drop :) IMO the only reason these turbo's became so popular is due to their price.. take that away and people will start finding alternatives..

agreed... simple supply and demand, once the demand on these turbos drop so will the prices
 

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
Joined
·
3,333 Posts
Garrett has increased their wholesale prices since the end of last year. PTE has been absorbing the cost for a while and they are just now raising their prices.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,460 Posts
racing fan said:
Garrett has increased their wholesale prices since the end of last year. PTE has been absorbing the cost for a while and they are just now raising their prices.
Exactly. If the alternative to a PTE turbo is a Garrett turbo, than your already expecting to pay more right off the bat. PTE makes modifications and custom turbines using Garrett based technology and whatever works. Thier product is a top notch product and worth the premium in price.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,981 Posts
onelove said:
Exactly. If the alternative to a PTE turbo is a Garrett turbo, than your already expecting to pay more right off the bat. PTE makes modifications and custom turbines using Garrett based technology and whatever works. Thier product is a top notch product and worth the premium in price.

I don't think anyone will argue that they're quality turbo's (I'm running a garret based turbo myself)... But people will start to look at alternatives. I wonder if they raised the cost of rebuilding too :dunno:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
racing fan said:
Garrett has increased their wholesale prices since the end of last year. PTE has been absorbing the cost for a while and they are just now raising their prices.
Ahh, I understand now. I thought PTE was just being greedy but it's a good reason.

Regards,
Kevin
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top