Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
powered by
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to build up a spare engine I have laying around and wanted to know if there was a prefered brand of pistons. I know wiesco, ross and JE all have made some for the 7m's, just wondered if one brand was better than the others. I am also courious as to what rings those with forged pistons are running. I have heard good things about sealed power rings, but not from supra guys. Thanks-Eric

·
what will the future hold
916 Posts
Hey Eric,

You can't go wrong with either you named! I went with wiseco and to date haven't had any problems. I bet most people go with JE's because they have there name out there but truth be told I bet they are all about the same. Just my opinion. Hey did you go to the meet.

Will

·
powered by
998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't get to make it on Saturday. I actually planned on stopping by, but completely forgot about it until it was too late. I am hoping on going to Texas, but still don't know for sure yet, should know more in a few weeks.I'm thinking about going with weisco since you seem to be having such good luck with them.--Eric

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
I have the Wiseco pistons too. Also have Total Seal rings so far so good. Still in break in mode @ about 1000 miles.

F

·
0 Posts
all of the above are good just look for the best price possible. Try race engineering they always have a set of rods or pistons in stock for the 7m's.ross would be on the top of my list though.

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
Ross Toyota All Six Cylinder
Flat Top 75-11 $469.98
Dome Top 75-21 $537.78
Reverse Dome 75-32 $537.78

JE Pistons $785

Wiseco (for 2jz, 86.5mm/87mm, but 7m might be similar) $595/kit complete

thats what i found.....

C

·
0 Posts
I have a set of custon Wiscoe's that I have ceramic coated tops and dry film sides. With the coatings they top a grand if I recall correctly!

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have JE's and they have worked out very well. I have a spare set of 20 over JE's with 5k Miles on them. they are teflon and ceramic top coated. $450.00 for the set of 6.

:) :)

S

·
0 Posts
totle sealed suck had bad exspriece with them 5 times use hasting rings much better

·
Fuzz E. Guy
853 Posts
I have JE's and they have worked out very well. I have a spare set of 20 over JE's with 5k Miles on them. they are teflon and ceramic top coated. $450.00 for the set of 6.

Do the pistons come with the pins and retainers? What happend that you replaced them after 1000 miles?

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes, pins and retainer are included. Long story short - first rebuild was no good - bad head job. Didn't want to wait, so had a second set made, hence first set is for sale.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I just took delivery of a set of 0.020" over JE pistons a couple of weeks ago. Machine work is very impressive. I have read some articles in the manufacturing engineering trade magazines that highlighted the inspection methods that JE used - they are top notch. I suspect the other high end companies are as well too though - for me I used what my engine machinest was most comfortable with. It took me forever to get the pistons though - I guess they are supposed to stock them, but apparently when I ordered they were all out. It took about 7 weeks to get them and the cost was $800 for the set of 6. I also ordered the ringset from JE as well on the recommendation of my machinest - I'm not quite sure who manufactures them though.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Interested in the JE's for 450, ill email you for details!

M

·
0 Posts
JE and Ross are 2 premiere companies when it comes to custom and race oriented pistons. I love Ross mainly for the tech support they have provided us over the years. We worked with RC of Ross (now with NHRA) to develope the 7M and 3S pistons. The Ross pistons feature 1.5mm, 1.5mm, 4mm ring spacing. We haven't been able to collapse a ring yet. I am not 100% on the the ring spacing of the JE pistons.

As for Total Seal Rings, there are several types available please note the block hone grit and ring set used when problems or success acured. Who file fit your rings and to what gap?

I like the TS Classic Moly Rings with 220 hone grit.

Chris
Maxx Autoworks

·
***ified?
1,087 Posts
I effed up

My stupid ass decided to reassemble my engine when I was tired. Here is the formula for ring gap from JE : Bore x .006. That is for the TOP ring. NOTE TO SELF: the second compression ring needs to be Bore x .0045. It should not be the same as the top ring. It would be different If i filed the ring to small, but too big? That just plain blows ass. I WAS SSOOOOOOOOOOO PISSSEDDD OFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!!.:mad:

B

·
0 Posts
So if I need to order a set of 20 over pistons, what would be the bore measurement?? And I'm gonna go with the Ross set. I've heard they are good, plus I found em for 489 with rings and wrist pins.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts