Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
*******UPDATE of Aug. 9, 2006***********

Well things are NOT looking too good right now.

Of those who posted earlier in this thread, we have several "no can do now" replies and still three who have not replied to my PM or recently posted here to confirm one way or another.

So far we only have 3 firm: me, jam98tt, and VicTT. If we don't have anybody else join in, I don't see how this could happen.

I'll PM the two other "firm" guys and see what we can make of it before directly contacting Ben again.

If anybody else wants in, please speak up now.

*******UPDATE of Aug. 5, 2006***********

I sent each of you a PM today with location, cost, etc. Please reply back asap. Thanks.

If you are like me and just won't have your Supra ready to be tuned by Tuning Concepts / Clint in their upcoming tuning sessions, and if you need your MAP ECU tuned by probably the worlds foremost expert on that device, I am trying to see how much interest I can drum up to have Obiwan flown in, lodged, etc., dyno rentals and tuning, his fees, etc. Obviously the more people to defray costs, the better for everybody who participates.

TIME
At this point, my car won't be done until after mid July. So I need something after that date, but quite flexible otherwise. The sooner the better after mid July.

To be determined pending availability of suitable dyno facility. I am willing to travel maybe even a couple hours, but I imagine between PA, New Jersey, Southern NY, DE, MD ...a central location would fit best.

I already emailed Obiwan and he is definitely interested if we can give him more details.

Thanks for considering this offer.
Nick

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Vic. I'm letting this thread ride for a while to see how many MAP ECU people we can interest, hopefully at least a few more. I'll keep anyone who posts in this thread appraised of the plans as we all agree on them and I bounce it off Obiwan.

· Registered
600 Posts
i am in... my car should finally be done this weekend... one thing, though, my car sits real low so we need a dyno that is flush in the ground... let me know the time, place, and price...

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool. I hope we can get more people interested.

If anybody knows anybody with a MAP ECU that needs better tuning, this is a rare opportunity so let them know.

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not thinking of any day or place yet, but I hope we can conveniently accomodate as many people as possible. I'll let this float another week or so and then contact Obiwan again to see what his schedule looks like and get a better idea of cost based on the number of people interested.

· Registered
445 Posts
I will throw Nitto's name into the hat as he needs MAP tuning for his big twins. Maybe we could give Power Trip a call and see if they want to host it.

What are you getting done to your car Nick?

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aaron,
all the times we were at Powertrip were so pleasant and all went so well that I think of that place whenever "dyno" comes up. I was hoping to drum up more interest so if Nitto is on, that would be great and help defray expenses not to mention everybody gets a great tune.

My car is up and being worked on now. With Erven's huge help locally, the PHR Stg 1 turbo is installed, I don't know if you caught the pics, it's on a nice Induction Motorsports cast manifold that has an HKS 60mm GT wastegate on it and it's moded and ported for that larger wastegate flow ...creep issues supposedly with small wastegate... plus I got a PHR Stg 2 fuel system but using twin Denso pumps (I've talked to Henri about one of his pump hangers and hope to nail that today), plus the MAP ECU of course, plus a gforce ECU with raised rev limit and the other tweeks they put on it, a little fuel map changes but still stock timing; today I got my FJO wideband; I'll almost certainly do an Aquamist meth/water injection so I can run high 20 psi's all day on crappy 93oct pump... I guess that's about it for now, I'm sure I forgot something.

· Registered
445 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
Aaron,
all the times we were at Powertrip were so pleasant and all went so well that I think of that place whenever "dyno" comes up. I was hoping to drum up more interest so if Nitto is on, that would be great and help defray expenses not to mention everybody gets a great tune.

My car is up and being worked on now. With Erven's huge help locally, the PHR Stg 1 turbo is installed, I don't know if you caught the pics, it's on a nice Induction Motorsports cast manifold that has an HKS 60mm GT wastegate on it and it's moded and ported for that larger wastegate flow ...creep issues supposedly with small wastegate... plus I got a PHR Stg 2 fuel system but using twin Denso pumps (I've talked to Henri about one of his pump hangers and hope to nail that today), plus the MAP ECU of course, plus a gforce ECU with raised rev limit and the other tweeks they put on it, a little fuel map changes but still stock timing; today I got my FJO wideband; I'll almost certainly do an Aquamist meth/water injection so I can run high 20 psi's all day on crappy 93oct pump... I guess that's about it for now, I'm sure I forgot something.
WOW, look at you. I thought you were going to hang on to the twins forever. I thought you and Dave Bien might be the last two holdouts. Where your twins starting to let go? Is the turbo a 60mm?

I talked to Nitto last night and depending on price he would be in. If the dyno was close I would be in too as I have not had my car on the dyno with the W/M injection. I also just ordered a 10psi pulley so I want to see what that gives me. I am always up for hanging out at a dyno.

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Aaron,
I kept delaying further mods since the twins were still working so well and I was having too much fun with them. But I suppose I got tired of everything going well and nothing to worry about, not to mention it can't hurt to have a couple hundred more horses to play with especially when a couple of the guys that I've been at Pocono with upgraded their power or have new more competitive cars and my edge became somewhat tenuous or totally vaporized.

I hate to hit you with a link on the turbo size question, but as you know PHR does not give out exact sizing of their turbos so all I know is that the PHR1 appears to fit in just above a typical T61 ....see the chart here http://moreboost.org/turbos.htm

Remind Nitto that if he cheaps out and doesn't step up and get a damn good tune, he'll be making excuses and wishing he did for a long time. And of course you're more than welcomed to dyno and/or tune, too.

· Registered
445 Posts
I probably should not mention it now since you have already purchased the turbo but I think you will be upgrading it within a year. I put a 60mm on my car for a day and it was small. I would say a 63/64 would be better but once again, why am I saying that after you already purchased it.

As for Nitto you are right, he needs a good tune very badly. Do you know what the overall charge will be to get Obiwan out here? If you want you can private message me the estimated cost.

· Registered
344 Posts
Nick,

I might be interested too. Just depends on where you do the dyno/tune session. I am way north in Rochester, NY so it will be a tad of a drive for me but I still may do it. Keep us up to date on where and when and price.

Thanks,
Mike

· Registered
2,198 Posts
does this have to be strictly MAP ecus? Right now I'm considering purchasing a V-Pro and then I see this thread. It's almost like fate or something. Don't count me in or anything because I have not even purchased it yet but I'm curious.

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I had the money and listened to Obiwan Ben Phillips' advise I would have the HKS V-pro since it's an awesome piece, superiour to the MAP ECU as far as I can tell.

Look into it yourself if you don't already know, but I believe you could hardly find anybody better than Ben to tune that piece.

· Registered
2,198 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
If I had the money and listened to Obiwan Ben Phillips' advise I would have the HKS V-pro since it's an awesome piece, superiour to the MAP ECU as far as I can tell.

Look into it yourself if you don't already know, but I believe you could hardly find anybody better than Ben to tune that piece.

No doubt but what I'm really asking is if this MAP ECU tuning session goes through would there be any problems with having him do a V-Pro as well? Or would this be limited to only MAP ECUs? I'd guess there wouldn't be a problem with that but figured I'd ask.

I've been eyeing the V-Pro for some time now. And I think I'm going to just pull the trigger on it. I've contacted Ben on it recently to get pricing. I'll tell you though it sure isn't cheap. You get what you pay for I suppose.

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I can't speak for Ben, but I'll email him an update on this thread tonight and specifically ask him that question ...but I'm quite sure there will be no problem and he'll be ready to tune a V-pro if you're in on the tuning session. Maybe it'll convince a few more of us to go with that setup ;)

Matt,
yes ...well actually still going ;) The installation is being done right now but won't be done for at least another week or maybe a tad more ....unless I get a quickie divorce this weekend and somebody adopts my kids, then I could be done before end of next week.

· Registered
2,198 Posts
Nick 95 6sp said:
I can't speak for Ben, but I'll email him an update on this thread tonight and specifically ask him that question ...but I'm quite sure there will be no problem and he'll be ready to tune a V-pro if you're in on the tuning session. Maybe it'll convince a few more of us to go with that setup ;)
Yea I don't think he would have a problem with that either but always safe to check. I'd assume my case might be different then the rest though since he will need time to install and tune it so I might have to pay a little extra but thats understandable. I sent Ben a email just a few minutes ago with some questions and I asked him about this so I'll see what he has to say as well.

As for my car convincing others to go with the setup I'm not sure if my car is the best candidate yet for that. It's a 97 black 6spd with BPU+ parts so it wouldn't be anything spectacular like some of you guys with singles but its a work in progress and I'm sure it would be interesting none the less. The EMS is actually the first step I'm going to take towards the future single setup.

I'll let you know if I do purchase the V-Pro and want ot get in on the tuning session. I'll be watching for specifics like pricing, location, etc. Also I'm in South Jersey in case you need to know.

· Registered
13,982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got a email from Ben in reply to my questions about this tuning session. He will be busy until after the end of July, which suits me fine. So how about early in August for all of you guys?

I will PM each of you with some more info and we'll try to pull this together asap. If you know anybody else interested, please tell them to get in now or they'll miss out.

I still don't have the dyno location nailed down, I'll contact ones mentioned above and also a couple others to see what they say.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.