Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went over to Hecubus' today to do the block test, put the the on, and I don't think we'd let enough coolant out of the radiator, and coolant went into it instead of gases. Then my car started puffin white smoke after I turned it off and turned it back on...
didn't really quit till I left and got going.
My clutch is fine though, if anyone was reading about that and wondering, I think I had gotten my carpet jammed up in there and it wasn't going down all the way.

SO.
It looks like I am going to just have to replace the gaskets and what not, and in the meantime I need to retorque my headbolts i think. Because it is my DD and I drive out to redmond for work about 5 days of 7. So my first question is who would like to give me a hand with this that has the tools and space? I don't really have the tools nesscary, or knowledge once I get my 3000 and covers off.
Secondly, I'm thinking that I will have someone do the HG job for me while I am Europe at the beginning of August, I'm just hoping I'll be able to afford it....So if anyone would do it for me for cheap, and/or has some hookups/knows where I can get a cheap HG set, yet good, that would be great. Let me know guys.

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
YOu can always go with a stock head gasket...

Also, I haven't talked to the guy in a long time but a guy @ nix 99 used to (a year or so ago) do full top end tear down/ block prep/ MHG and ARP's... He was charging 700... You just drop off the engine or the car minus your mods so they don't get jizacked.

I would give them a call.. Seems to be the best deal if you don't have time/space to deal w/ it.

However, I did mine by myself... costs around 500 $ and car was down for almost 2 months... Probably not the best idea since the supra is your daily.

If you want to talk more about it; give me a call.
~Kyle

·
I Love Lamp...
2,184 Posts
Sucks to hear... i know of a semi-old timer who might be interested in doing a hg job... had a pretty successful MK3 for its time.

I'd offer to do it for you, but i just dont have the time... i can always help though.

Tim

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
im down to help as well, i could do it no problem, but no time heh :/ maybe we can get a meet going while your away and knock it out in a weekend :dunno:

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha thanks guys. I understand with time, I dont have much either!
Tim, hit that old man up for me! :)

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE:
No BHG.
Took it to Eddie(master of toyota knowledge) tonight and he determined it is my old ass turbo sucking the coolant in and pumping it out my exhaust because my seals on my turbo are going out.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
suck it.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
haha.
He popped the hood, had me explain was going on, smelled my exhaust and told me it was my turbo seals. haha.
He said you can smell it when it's BHG apparently?
I dunno, he's owned multiple supra's, read 12039537820958 of books, and knows a hell of a lot, and I trust him on this.

·
Offical MkIII Pushman
1,797 Posts
kylefoto said:
haha.
He popped the hood, had me explain was going on, smelled my exhaust and told me it was my turbo seals. haha.
He said you can smell it when it's BHG apparently?
I dunno, he's owned multiple supra's, read 12039537820958 of books, and knows a hell of a lot, and I trust him on this.

you trust a guy that zip ties just about every damn thing you can think of?

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
I have the exact same problem..

If the car has been boosted at all; and I come to an idle for 20 seconds + then the car starts smoking really bad. It's coolant I know; and it isn't a BHG because I have done my HG.

Therefore, it is the turbo.

I have no clue how exactly it is setup but there has to be some sort of seal inside the turbo that the coolant flows through, and it has to be the turbo because before when my car ran perfectly it never smoked, but now the turbo is blown and making the death whine sound and it's sucking up coolant and smoking after I go boost around.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Glad someone agrees haha.
Yeah, Eddie said it has to do with the vaccumming of the system that causes the smoke. Mine does it when I idle for awhile.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
You have a BHG.

When turbo seals leak, what leaks out is oil. There are no seals that hold the coolant back. It's just circulated in a small cast iron jacket which makes it pretty much impossible to exit through the exhaust via the turbo. IF that CT26 is leaking coolant then it's from a crack. And a crack would fill the engine bay with steam.

If he knows how, have him do a compression test.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Disced said:
Also, I haven't talked to the guy in a long time but a guy @ nix 99 used to (a year or so ago) do full top end tear down/ block prep/ MHG and ARP's... He was charging 700... You just drop off the engine or the car minus your mods so they don't get jizacked.

Thread jack ---

I'd like to meet this guy ;)

I don't ever recall anyone there,working that cheap,especialy with a MHG.

<---overpriced,yet overbooked Head Supra nut at Nix99 :1poke:

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
It was a year ago.

You work at nix 99?

Like I said, I don't really recall who it was but my dad had told me he met someone there who did it "on the side" and gave me his phone #. I don't think he has it anymore...

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
Wade said:
You have a BHG.

When turbo seals leak, what leaks out is oil. There are no seals that hold the coolant back. It's just circulated in a small cast iron jacket which makes it pretty much impossible to exit through the exhaust via the turbo. IF that CT26 is leaking coolant then it's from a crack. And a crack would fill the engine bay with steam.

If he knows how, have him do a compression test.

How much would you like to bet sir?

How about a new upgraded turbo, since mine is fucked.

I don't see how you can't understand?

My turbo was fine, I never smoked.

My turbo is making the death whine, it doesn't ever smoke at idle (warming up).

It has almost 1/8 inch shaft play. If I go and boost it, then come to a stop; after about 30 seconds it starts smoking. Smells like coolant. As soon as I rev the car, the smoke goes away.

So, when I pull off the turbo and put a new one on and the smoke stops; what does that mean?

Thank you for your opinion.

·
The Radiator Man
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Disced said:
How much would you like to bet sir?

How about a new upgraded turbo, since mine is fucked.

I don't see how you can't understand?

My turbo was fine, I never smoked.

My turbo is making the death whine, it doesn't ever smoke at idle (warming up).

It has almost 1/8 inch shaft play. If I go and boost it, then come to a stop; after about 30 seconds it starts smoking. Smells like coolant. As soon as I rev the car, the smoke goes away.

So, when I pull off the turbo and put a new one on and the smoke stops; what does that mean?

Thank you for your opinion.
:bowdown:
haha.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts