Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would say yes, unless its somehow super clean with a great service history. That's a ton of miles....

·
iSPOOL
1,349 Posts
Depends on the condition of the car and engine.
280k is really high so I hope parts have been replaced due to wear and age.

·
iSPOOL
1,349 Posts
You have to provide more details. Is is a rustbucket that's been run into the ground with no proper services and 24 year old parts.
Or is it been fully restored vehicle, immaculate paint with full interior with no accidents.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seems like it’s been decently kept with regular maintenance. 1 accident, minor, with front bumper replaced. I have not actually seen it, only spoken with the owner. He used it as a daily and it’s still his daily. He said it has no oil leaks and he has full maintenance records back to when he bought it new. I have not seen those records to ask what major items have been replaced, if any. Interior looks to be about 8/10, exterior about the same.

·
iSPOOL
1,349 Posts
Well if the asking price is $40k, personally I would start there and begin deducting for every part that I would think needs to be replaced due to the mileage. That 280k is a bit concerning but not a deal breaker.

Others may give you a more definitive number but for me it depends. I wouldn't go past $35k.

·
Registered
507 Posts
+1 sounds about right. Post pics if you have them.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Rejoined
71 Posts
Will you be able to see the car before you spend money? I wonder what compression test numbers the owner can give you. With 280k miles, you wonder what money might need to be spent on engine refresh/rebuild, and also transmission. Any aftermarket parts, on bone stock? Not to offend the owner, but $30k might be generous. +1 on pics too.

·
Super Moderator
10,075 Posts
Price wise there's basically no difference between 140k miles and 280k miles. Condition is everything at that point. Factory TT Original owner is a big plus. Stock or near stock is a big plus.

If the body and interior are in good or better condition that's 99% of the battle. Rust is a concern depending on the region.

If it's a rust free car with all of its original VIN tags in near-stock condition but with the usual seat wear, paint chips, etc for a car with that kind of mileage, I could see mid 30's. You're buying a driver not a collector's car. If the car is in truly outstanding condition and a rare color like Jewel Green, I could see that creeping towards 40k. Good pictures will tell the story.

Engine parts and transmissions are stupid easy and relatively inexpensive compared to solving condition problems with the body, subframes, and interior. There's basically an endless supply of A340E auto transmissions that have been pulled for 6spd conversions and off of Aristo engine sets.

·
Registered
Rejoined
71 Posts
^ Those are good points. What part of the country the car is from (road salt) and as a daily driver I'm sure it saw its share of rain. Wreckless, at what point (mileage) do you think the engine would need a rebuild? I thought compression numbers might be nice, as the rebuild could cost some depending on parts used, and labor. A single owner (obviously cared about the car) is a definite plus.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback. The car is located in the Midwest. Bone stock. The owner said he has done all the required maintenance including timing belt. I will be able to see it prior to purchase (it’s 8 hours away from me, but worth the drive) and I can look at the maintenance records too. I’ve request a video of the motor running and he said he’d get that over to me.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I realize there are no pics of the driver side. He said it shows very little wear and he would get me a pic of it too.

·
Registered
Rejoined
71 Posts
That looks nice, and I'm glad you'll see it in the flesh before getting. Did he ever say why after all these years, he is selling it now? This is exciting. I remember when I got my Supra, it was pretty cool.

Reactions: Mr.Gill

·
Registered
Rejoined
71 Posts
To me, and I'll defer to those with more expertise, that sounds like a higher pitched "ticking" or "tapping" noise. It might be from the valve train. I'll have to research more, but I'm sure Wreckless, Shady2JZ, or others may know.

·
Registered
868 Posts
better lock up your deal or this car will be gone. original TT left hand drive. I would not think twice about the miles

·
Registered
198 Posts
In 7 hours there is a clean auto LHD turbo car selling on ebay. Car looks clean with a long service history. Black on black.

Price is 37k as of now. I would guess it will go for somewhere around 45k, I would definitely be on it but a certain member of my family will murder me if I get one more car....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’ve been watching that one on eBay too! Waiting until the end though because bidding at this point would be a waste of time.

·
I Can Has EBT?
3,299 Posts
96, I believe TT cars only came in auto. Given the market, I guess 40k seems like a bargain.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts