Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Stock turbos have 84k on them. Starting to expect death whine anytime. I have a back up set of stockers ready to go, but am not sure I will use them. I have read the new turbo guide. I know the T04 and SP63 are the most popular small singles. What are usual prices on these kits new and used? I would want to keep almost everything else stock, until I had the money to slowly upgrade other parts. I would want small trim, like .58. Stock fuel, MAF, IC, ECU. Is it possible to keep all these parts stock? 1000 for vpc, 1200 FMIC, those things really add up. Can you even keep the MAF after going single? I would be happy with any where from 400 to 450 rwhp, I'm not greedy. Also, how much to install usually. I have a guy that I know pretty well who would probly not rape me on install price, but still, ballpark? Just starting to get some plans together here.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and how would this compare to sending stock twins out for rebuild, then having them reinstalled? I have heard people that have gone single say that reinstalling the stock twins would be 100 times harder than installing the single. I heard toyo charges 800 for labor alone.??????

·
Proud Owner
83 Posts
Is it just me, or is just BPUing the car good for 400rwhp?
450 I'm sure could be had for a little more money, but nothing huge like a single turbo is needed for the goals you're trying to attain.

Now, if you start getting greedy :) and want something like 500-600rwhp, then you'll probably have to go with a small single like an SP60 or T-61.

I think with an SP63 you'd be pushing the limit of the fuel system at high boost, because the turbo could easily make 600+rwhp.

Decisions, decisions....

- Steve

S

·
0 Posts
Give SP a call at 630.893.5002. They now can get 57mm turbos (SP57) that meet your needs. I'm afraid you'll get more than 400 to 450 rwhp though... ;-)

Z

·
0 Posts
I think you can keep most of the parts stock but I would definitely get a bigger FMIC (assuming you are BPU already). Stock MAF and ECU should do fine as long as you keep low boost around max 16psi? after that I think you will need additional injector/larger fuel pump and electronic to fine tune which is gonna be expansive. VPC, AIC, AFR, GCC etc... BTW, we called Apexi and they are working on their famous Power FC for our supra turbos so if I were you I would wait cuz that single unit will be able to control most of the crap I mentioned above.
I am actually thinking of doing the same thing as you, get a small single which will still be better than stock twin, less problems, more predictable, and of course more reliable. HP should be planty to kill most street racers/V8s but once you loose a race on a single, you know you'll wanna up the boost.

Jonas

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'd look at one of the small turbo kits from the online retailers. WOTM has a single here in town that runs on stock fuel just fine.

If you do go with the RPS kit, there's only a couple mods needed to retain the MAF sensor. I know this because my VPC was shipped without the pressure sensor so I had to wait for it and run with the MAF for a while. I'm sure the other kits would be just as easy to modify for use with a MAF....

Hint, you have to route the IAC(Idle air control) into the inlet pipe or it'll act like it has a HUGE intake leak and won't idle at all...

·
Registered
658 Posts
I looked into this recently PHR has a new upgrade for stock twins single custom kit keep stock maf fuel etc farily complete kit they want around 4000 ( plus installation) I believe Sp has a similar kit for around 3800. I just recondition a rear turbo cost for recondition 380 plus cost of the turbo( 150) Toyota cahrges 1000 parts and labor to R&R the stock turbos I did not want ot do it myself although I have heard it is time consuming but not rocket science. The cost for the gasket kit is 117.00 I found out that the repair time CD's mechanic use estimate 6 hours for the job Around here that is about 40 hr find alocl shop you trust and look over their shoulder while they do it cost to R& rear turbo this method is 530 per turbo reconditioned with a 1 year gurantee fig 200 bucks parts 300 labor or about 1000 installed or 1500 depending on one or two turbos. Also consider I did a thread a while back on resale of singles the consenus was they are fun but you won't get your money back at resale if that is importent to you. i know a lot of people will chime in I'm never going to sell my dawg.... yeah right.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Ii have a small single (T-62) on stock fuel, ic, and maf. It runs a little bit better than BPU at 17 psi. If you are interested in this kit, I may sell it, and go to a SP66 kit. This kit is not the least bit laggy (full boost at 3600 in 3rd gear), and will run 115-119 traps all day long.

Tim
'94 T-62

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
basupra said:
Ii have a small single (T-62) on stock fuel, ic, and maf. It runs a little bit better than BPU at 17 psi. If you are interested in this kit, I may sell it, and go to a SP66 kit. This kit is not the least bit laggy (full boost at 3600 in 3rd gear), and will run 115-119 traps all day long.

Tim
'94 T-62
How much would you be selling your T-62 for? I just started to look at singles and might be interested. I'm tired of being at BPU+. Do you have any pictures of the kit on and off the car. How long has it been on the car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts