Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I can either afford a set of CCW's with R Compound rubber, or a 4 wheel set of Rotora brakes.

The car currently sits on JIC FLT-A2, Titan Sway Bars, Poly bushes, 265/35/18 PS2 F & 295/35/18 PS2 Rears. Brakes are DBA Rotors with Carbotech 1108 front & rear, RBF 600 fluid. This is a full weight street car which sees the circuit probably once a Month for 20 Min sessions.

All advice greatly appreciated

·
Registered
531 Posts
Each modification has its merits. I would probably do the rims and tires first you will get more bang for your buck. The r compounds will get you faster times and even help you to stop faster with stock brakes. The r compounds are also safer on the track example I was doing 105 into turn 1 at streets of willow and the guy in front of me drops a wheel in the dirt throwing dirt all over the track in my line. I thought oh shit here I go off road at 105 but the hoosiers held through the rocks and dirt it was amazeing. You could also do brake ducts they are a very inexpensive mod and will help your stock brakes stay cool.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bart.

If I do the CCW track package, will they fit over the Rotora's at a later stage?

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have stoptech big fronts they fit don't know about rotora check with them especially on rear fitment.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
its catch 22 IMO. without R compounds, you probably won't need the big brakes. If you are fast on R compounds, and go to brake intensive tracks, you'll then need the brakes. :lol: And so goes the slippery slope of builing a track car. :D

What about putting r compounds on other wheels you may already have and still buying the brakes? CCW's are nice, but a slightly smaller set of R compounds and better brakes would be the ticket if it was my money...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have thought about that but I really want a set of road wheels too. I also want to try and get 200 mph out of the car this year and specifically bought the PS2's for this. I need a decent rolling radius to help this.

Are there any R compounds out there which are even remotely ok in the wet?

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
Pilot Sport Cups are great wet tires.

·
www.ziptieracing.com
1,785 Posts
surferdudeca111 said:
I think hoosiers are probably the best.
you did read he is specifically looking for rain tires right? Have you actually used Hoosier Rains?

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'd go wheels/tires hands down. You'll gain a lot more speed from them than you will from a brake upgrade. However, depending on how much experience you have, you might want to hold off. Street tires are a much better learning tool than R compounds. They generally break away more progressively, give more feedback and don't hide bad technique as well relative to R compounds.

Full tread Toyo RA1s work well in the rain.

·
Registered
3,569 Posts
Full tread RA1s are probably the best bang for the buck and the most consistent. Used by most club racers on a budget.

Regards,
James R

1 - 12 of 12 Posts