Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So Ive been looking to buy a supra for a while now but have decided to save some more to get a TT instead of an NA.

Anyways to make things concise I've been looking on CL for a while now as well as checking auctions a few times a week and I have to say that I'm becoming sick of the chase. I don't often see these things come up for sale locally and when I do they're usualy hack jobs, the one color I don't want or auto :(

Anyways I'm at the point where I just want to buy one and I've heard some good stories about guys getting their rides from dealers in Japan. So my big question is do any of you know of some good, tried and tested dealers in Japan. If so I would greatly appreciate the info.

PS If anyone localy is selling a RZ/RZ-S 6SP.. Please send me a PM.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Hi,

Without a doubt, the BEST JDM dealer in Toronto is Right Drive. They helped me buy my car and surpassed my expectations. Email [email protected] and tell him i sent you there (Ryan, red Supra)

You will not be disappointed. I was in the same situation as you are now 2 years ago. I did not find a good condition Supra around and chose this route. Be aware that insurance is not easy to find so you should look into that first. Also educate yourself on what model you want. RZ is top of the line and will have all the goodies you need (big brakes, lsd etc) RZ-S had lots of good parts optional so you might get them or not. GZ were only in the early years and has leather seats. SZ and SZR are NA Supras. 1993 to 1996.4 are series 1 Supras, 96.5 to 2002 are series 2 Supras. You can get up to 1999 models now with the 15 year rule that have updated interior, headlights and taillights. 1999 models will also have the VVTI 2JZ also that is a nice upgrade.

The process goes like this - You sign up for a portal and you pick what color you want and what specs. The start looking for cars in the auction and at dealers. Then they send you the portal finds with the matched criteria daily till you like one. If you do, they get you more pictures and information about that car. Underbody pictures etc.. Right Drive have people in Japan to view the car in person and this helps alot. Especially the cars going through auction since they do not give you very detailed pictures.

If you want to go ahead and do the import yourself, these are a few of the best dealers in Japan for a Supra - www.king-buyer.co.jp / www.gtnet.co.jp You can also view the cars going through auction every Wednesday at www.japan-partner.com

Let me know if you have any questions..

Ryan

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hey guys,

so ive been looking to buy a supra for a while now but have decided to save some more to get a tt instead of an na.

Anyways to make things concise i've been looking on cl for a while now as well as checking auctions a few times a week and i have to say that i'm becoming sick of the chase. I don't often see these things come up for sale locally and when i do they're usualy hack jobs, the one color i don't want or auto :(

anyways i'm at the point where i just want to buy one and i've heard some good stories about guys getting their rides from dealers in japan. So my big question is do any of you know of some good, tried and tested dealers in japan. If so i would greatly appreciate the info.

Ps if anyone localy is selling a rz/rz-s 6sp.. Please send me a pm.

Thanks guys
. "vancouver area"

·
Registered
1,318 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
How about Tyee Imports in BC? or JDM Connection out in Winnipeg? They are significantly cheaper then RightDrive and in my experience offer the an equal level of customer service.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Rightdrive I'm sure is the lest sketchy and best JDM importer however they tend to charge upwards of twice as much for the same car as other JDM dealers. I don't doubt that they are buying better quality cars but if a car from a regular importer is 10k, expect to pay 20k at rightdrive.

Despite being on the other side of the country, I do have one non-favorable experience with TYEE. An army buck that got posted here had purchased a yellow r32 gtr with a big single turbo on it. Shortly after purchasing it, the car blew up and a friend of mine ended up repairing it. It was running a big single, with aftermarket fuel on a stock ecu and to say the least, the build was not well done. Tyee did pay to send a new long block to attempt to get the car running again as it was, big turbo and all. In the end, I think tyee ended up working out a deal for another car or giving the guy his money back. I'm not 100% sure.

I used to rav about JDM Montreal, even though they are a sketchy Montreal dealer, they really weren't that bad at all. My friends and I dealt with them on multiple occasions. I think the same people are now running JDM Ottawa, but I don't know for sure. Used to always deal with Nasar.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Truly if you are going to spend the time and import a car I don’t understand why you would not take the time and buy a car that is worthy of the investment. Dealers such as Tyee, are a large part as to why the “JDM” cars have such a stigma of being garbage or a poor man’s car. They are yes often cheaper than their LHD counter part but 25K for a 15+ year old car is not cheap still by most standards. There are some right hand drive jdm cars that are in better condition and quality then some of the Canadian equivalents on the road, the problem is there are not many that fit into this mold being imported.

Not to say Tyee is all terrible, from a service or general knowledge of the import process they can be great and I have never actually bought a car from them (for my own reasons). They may have changed since the last time I looked into their stock or process, but from the cars I have seen them import most are exactly what you expect for that price, accident repaired (sometimes multi accident), molested cars that are not even worth the low prices they charge. When I was importing and looking at auctions daily there would be a car I would not even think about touching with a 20 foot pool and it would be in their inventory a week later.

The truth is they are not the only ones that do this, not even close, there is a lot of crap in Japan to sift through till you find a gem. You also have to be willing to pay a premium to get a good solid car with no accident history, not repainted in a barn or molested with a rolled back odometer.

When I was importing car’s for personal use and sale, I had rules such as it must be an original no accident car, no repainting, verified service records, ownership records, and verified odometer and an inspection by my broker in Japan before auction. You are taking risks shipping a car halfway around the world that you can’t see other then in pictures, why add to that with something that may cost you more than it’s worth just to make legal and get on the road.

Look into dealers such as; http://www.zenautoworks.ca/ or others that are quality over quantity that are willing to be a broker and find the exact car you want in good condition. The extra you pay with be worth it in the end. I'm sure there are also private dealers in the Vancouver area that you will be able to deal with, they should all be able to do this but find someone you trust and be willing to pay for a quality car.

The best thing you can do is find someone you trust and deal directly with them and get exactly what you want.Good luck!

That is my 2 cents.

Andrew-

·
Registered
150 Posts
I used to rav about JDM Montreal, even though they are a sketchy Montreal dealer, they really weren't that bad at all. My friends and I dealt with them on multiple occasions. I think the same people are now running JDM Ottawa, but I don't know for sure. Used to always deal with Nasar.
Me and my father each bought a st205 gt4 off JDM Montreal/Ottawa 5 years ago. Both daily driven now with over 200,000km and barely anything done besides regular maintenance. They imported some nice cars.
Any importer will get you what you want. If you want a Grade 4-A car you are going to pay the money.
I personally haven't had any bad experiences with any besides RightDrive's mechanics, who were pretty disappointing. However their parts and car purchasing departments are very good.

·
Registered
15 Posts
JDMricer I believe JDM Ottawa is run by a GTA company, since they never answer their "Ottawa" phone # or have an office and their stuff comes from the GTA. Jdm Montreal moved to Texas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I would not waste my time with Right Drive. Way too costly and not the most honest dealership out there. I have experiences with trying to get a car inspected by them followed by trying to purchase a Supra in Japan.

I would only deal with Mark at Brave Auto - http://www.braveautointernational.jp/

Exceptional cars at great prices. You can also check http://jdmvip.com/ for great advice on importing.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
90 Posts
B-pro auto, Brian is an amazing guy to deal with.
Very trust worthy easy to contact and gets back you to right away.

I live an hour away from Tyee imports and there is a reason why I didn't deal with them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
B-pro auto, Brian is an amazing guy to deal with.
Very trust worthy easy to contact and gets back you to right away.

I live an hour away from Tyee imports and there is a reason why I didn't deal with them.
Hmm.. This is good to know. I enjoy feedback that stems from collective experience. Maybe Ill check them out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Stay away from Tyee...heard nothing but horror stories from them. Right Drive in Vancouver seemed to be a pretty legit guy...talked to him over the phone back when I was about to replace my supra ...seemed to wanted to work with me and answered emails fairly fast. Not sure about the others one...

·
Registered
216 Posts
Look into dealers such as; http://www.zenautoworks.ca/ or others that are quality over quantity that are willing to be a broker and find the exact car you want in good condition. The extra you pay with be worth it in the end. I'm sure there are also private dealers in the Vancouver area that you will be able to deal with, they should all be able to do this but find someone you trust and be willing to pay for a quality car.
I would only deal with Mark at Brave Auto - http://www.braveautointernational.jp/
Best two recommendations in this thread. I've been working with Brave Auto since 2008 to bring cars in and I've been extremely happy every time. Sean at Zen works exclusively with Mark at Brave Auto.

Pacific Coast and JDMconnection are pretty good too. Hell, I don't mind helping you out as well. I spend lots of time looking at Japanese auctions :D

You also really need to figure out how much work you want to do yourself. If you want to be completely hands off (use an importer), you won't have as many options. Using an exporter where you have to do some leg work on this end will save you some money, but it will cost you time.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I imported mine through Will at JDM Connection, would recommend him hands down. He was easy to deal with, blunt about the details, and got me exactly what I wanted.

You could also talk to Abbotsford Japan Auto. I know a couple people who have bought from them. They don't usually do request cars though, mostly bring over vehicles and sell them off the lot IIRC.

I'd avoid Tyee, personally. I actually tried them first, and over the course of a few weeks, couldn't get ahold of them at all. That's a red flag in my books.

-Matt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Dayum that looks clean!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts