Supra Forums banner

Problem: drive home check engine light and Trac off lights came on!!!

2K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  oddsupra1 
#1 ·
Today i changed my plugs and cleaned my engine bay using a foamy engine cleaner because it had sat at the body shop and got an inch of dust on the entire thing. I used to have the NGK 3330 plugs gaped at how they came. Now i just put in the 6097 plugs gapped at .028 and it ran like shit. It would bog and miss as soon as you hit the gas. So i re-gaped them at .033 and that took care of that. But it still did not pull as hard as it used to before i changed them. It was still slow. Im BPU with a front mount. Anyways i went to dinner tonight and on the way there the trac off light and abs light came on for about 2 seconds. Then went off. Got there and eat. On the way home the trac off light and engine light have came on and are still on. I got home a minute ago and turned the car off. Then turned it back on hoping that it would be gone. NO luck. Here is the funny thing. It ran like crap before the lights came on. I took it on a back road and floored it. Its faster than ever!!! But why would it be that that with those lights on now?? Was it the trac. control that mad it feel like it was pulling timing as a floored it with the new plugs or what? Any help guys? Ill check the code in a hour or so and get back to you on that. Thanks in advance.

#10 ·
I think a better description is in order! Dont you have a "trac" off switch? What do you mean by "engine" light is on? Are you refering to the CEL? What year is your car? Could be possible you got that foamy crap in a electrical connector and is causing a fault.

Try a little better job explaining each problem, because I see more than one.

#13 ·
TRD94JZA80TT said:
i would stop guessing and go to a shop that has a scan tool or borrow one or just look up the blinking code
seeing as how he already pulled code 71 (EGR) then why go to shop?

it's possible your modulator has gone bad -- how many miles do you have on the car?

This might be the perfect excuse to buy the block-off plates & a 10k ohm, 1/2 watt resistor.

Also, check your vacum hoses, as others have suggested.

When my modulator went bad, it dumped exhaust into the intake, creating a rather rough idle.

#14 ·
Yeah the ideal has been rough. So why has the trac off light came on? Is it becuase the engine light came on? It will not turn off by the trac button. Could i have got water in a eletrical place and if so i have drove it enough that the water would have dried way before this has happened. Could that have shorted something out maybe? I will check the hoses as i bought new different plugs as these ones are running like crap.

#18 ·
MDBlackTT said:
Yeah those broke when i did my spark plugs i pluged them all in tight but they still are broke so i will be getting them. I checked the EGR and the hose on the bottom is broke in half! Would that be why it is running like crap?
one of the hoses going to the EGR system broke in half, and you're pulling a code 71 (for the EGR system)

Yeah, I'd say replacing that hose is a good start :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.