Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i cleaned my headlights the other night (http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=4220542#post4220542) and i thought that i could clean it more detailed so today i went out and cleaned it again. This time, i put water on the lights and started sanding it (but i didnt last time) and this time i accidentally got some of the meguiars x scratch remover on my paint which wont come off now and my headlights are even more clouded up now. i was wondering if anybody can tell me how to get rid of this stuff off of my paint and how can i clear my headlights again. any help will be GREATLY appreciated.

this is what my right headlight looks like after i cleaned it...as you can see its even blurrier than before

this is the left

this is the blotch on my paint that was left by the Meguiars Scratch remover

this is another picture of the stain left by the Scratch remover

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I guarantee that you can fix this using Megs Paint Cleaner. In fact, that is what you should have used on the lights instead of what is widely recommended on this forum.

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
that isnt rubbing out of the paint or washing out? i dunno why as ive never used the megs, but I dont think it should "stain" What grit sandpaper did you use? I always polish the lights up with some rubbing compound after i sand them. Come out perfectly fine even by hand.

the paint cleaner would only get rid of the foggy, or cloudy look. If you wanted to get scratches out and small chips you would need to do some sanding for sure.

Alex

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Alx2785 said:
that isnt rubbing out of the paint or washing out? i dunno why as ive never used the megs, but I dont think it should "stain" What grit sandpaper did you use? I always polish the lights up with some rubbing compound after i sand them. Come out perfectly fine even by hand.

the paint cleaner would only get rid of the foggy, or cloudy look. If you wanted to get scratches out and small chips you would need to do some sanding for sure.

Alex
True, I wasn't thinking he had chips in the plastic. Bottom line, more elbow grease with finer grade materials will get you back to normal. Next time, remove the lights to clean.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used 2000 grit paper and mtfujisupra what do you think i should have used instead of what the forums recommend?

·
iSketch Master!
9,044 Posts
oh im not saying he did have knicks and stuff, i was just saying generally if he did. You can buff those back out by hand as they sit right now. Just get some fine rubbing compound. I use 3M stuff and polish with a terry cloth. Should look fine

Alex

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did use 3m plastic cleaner.... bleh it didnt really help at all. I dont know what else im missing but do you guys think i can just sand it out (say with 2000 grit sandpaper) and rinse with water? or will that hurt the plastic?

·
Never narc'd on nobody
3,246 Posts
You already sanded it, so sanding it more is just going to dull it more.....now you're going to have to polish it back up to shine. In very basic terms, you're going to need some polishing compound and then some wax.....a buffer would be ideal, but you can do it be hand too. Some light-cut polish followed by some wax should bring your lights up and get rid of that paint mark.

If you've got some wax laying around, give it a shot, you can't hurt anything with just wax.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thanks a lot everyone

Guys you have been helpful to the max. I appreciate what you've all done and i will try to help any one of u guys out as much as i can if i can. Man it feels good to have this fixed. well here are some pictures of the results. much better than before right :bigthumb:
oh yea mtfujisupra ur right i used the meg paint cleaner and it really got rid of everything. thanks man.

-David

picture of the right light

here is one of the left

and here is the area where there used to be an ugly blotch on my paint but now its GONE!

i can sleep at night again! :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts