Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
It never ends...
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey some help witht his would be good.

When I turn the wheel whether my car is moving or not it is far more difficult than it shoulld be/used to be.

It also makes a whining noise... Not high pitched but a low drone.

I checked my PS fluid and it's good...

Is my PS unit just shot?

Thanks for the help!

- Kevin

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Do you have a belt on the power steering pulley? If you don't know which is which just follow the lines from the resoviour and it will lead to the pump with a pulley on the other side, there should be a belt on it going to the main crank.

·
It never ends...
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AGlobalThreat said:
Do you have a belt on the power steering pulley? If you don't know which is which just follow the lines from the resoviour and it will lead to the pump with a pulley on the other side, there should be a belt on it going to the main crank.
Yeah, I checked and the belt is there. Any other ideas?

Is there any way to check and see if my PS unit is good?

Thanks,

- Kevin

·
Registered
432 Posts
It may be the teeth in the unit have gone bad. Or it could be your steering mechanism from the steering wheel to the rack that may be your problem. If it was a leak it would be a little easier to figure out. Well mabey your pump is dead or your lines could be clogged up. That would cause you fluid to stay level but none may be circulating through.

·
It never ends...
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I failed to mention that the PS unit has 300K on it...

It's not leaking at all... As far as I can tell.

Is my best option replacing the whole unit?

Thanks,

- K

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Try bleeding the thing first. If there's a bit of air (or anything else besides oil) in the system, you will have a hard time turning the wheel also.

I guess it steers just fine when you rev the engine to about 2k rpm ?

·
It never ends...
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
C44 said:
Try bleeding the thing first. If there's a bit of air (or anything else besides oil) in the system, you will have a hard time turning the wheel also.

I guess it steers just fine when you rev the engine to about 2k rpm ?
I've tried that already... I still have the same problem.

Sometimes it will start to smoothly turn... Then get difficult... Then got back to smooth... And it takes quite a bit of physical force to turn the wheel a most of the time.

Anyone else?

·
It never ends...
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone here replaced a PS unit? Anyone have a link to a walk-through or anything?

Or is it really straight forward?

Thanks.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I had the same thing, made horrible sounds when turning, the pump was gone.
Not really hard to do, but easier with 2 ppl. The hardest part was getting the stupid banjo bolt from the pump itself....but the whole thing should not take u more than a couple of hours tops.

Andriy

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Do it yourself.

My mom wanted to fix my PS for my birthday... I said no... and she/everyone here talked me into getting it fixed. Figured it would be a few hundred dollars...

Total bill of sale: Over $1400

gg powersteering... my mom got fucking :urowned:

·
Registered
391 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
Do it yourself.

My mom wanted to fix my PS for my birthday... I said no... and she/everyone here talked me into getting it fixed. Figured it would be a few hundred dollars...

Total bill of sale: Over $1400

gg powersteering... my mom got fucking :urowned:
did they charge u for a new pump? cause dealership prices are crazy high for parts....it's like $1200+ for a new AFM and $1000 for a new dp from Toyota lol

Andriy

·
HottoMotto
968 Posts
make sure to check this little screen in the lines. mine was making the same whining noise. so i took mine to the dealership to have it looked at, and it seems that my screen got clogged. simple fix, and now my ps is fine.

·
Project Sleepra
279 Posts
make sure the belt isn't slipping

I know thats my problem with my power steering right now... whenever I turn the wheel, the belt starts to slip. The tensioner mechanism over there is pretty retarded and mine is seized up pretty good. gonna have to wedge a crowbar in there or something to get the tension on the belt up high enough

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
I am having trouble properly tensioning that bitch too. Even tried pushing on it with a crowbar and then tightening it, but it's still far too loose. I get a nice deafening squeal on cold starts now and then.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts