Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just installed the thing and it holds power great BUT it is SUPPOSED to be a great daily driver clutch. Mine has about 1/3 inch engagement and is right at the top of the pedal motion. i.e. all I have to do to change gear is touch the clutch pedal. Nice at the track LOUSY in traffic (actually almost impossible.) Is it posssible to adjust these characteristics or is it just the wrong clutch for me?

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
i have the rps carbon/carbon pro, and as much id like to beleive that its a great daily driver clutch, i wouldnt go that far... now that im used to it, yes it is a easy clutch to drive with, however it does make all kinds of noises. whenever my frends hop in my car, they always stall it. its just a matter of you getting used to it.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

I really appreciate all the feedback. It is pretty much what I supsected. The adjustments helped out a lot in terms of the location of the engagement point. And I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who has stalled the car with this clutch. I have begun to get to used to it but I wonder if I would have been happier with the Tilton. Dusty at MVP was so insistant that the RPS was THE clutch that I went with his opinion. But I think that a lot of people that own this clutch are more geared toward the track and strip. I street drive 95% of the time. I have entirely too much money into my car to hate driving it because of the clutch. At this point I havent driven it for two weeks because I have to sit in traffic on the way to work and its just too much stress trying to find the 1/3 inch engagement point for an hour! I hate to say it but I am ready to consider trying the Tilton if it will allow me to enjoy driving my car again--even if it costs me $4000!

·
Registered
97 Posts
i have the rps c/c in mine as well. rps has been somewhat shady about their marketing of this product. the clutch has undergone many changes throughout its life. this is why some will praise its daily driveability and others hate it. they probably dont have the same clutch!!!!

evidently they upped the clamping force on their pressure plate right before i bought mine. my initial impressions were that this is not a "stock feeling" clutch, and anyone who said it was had never driven a stock clutch. however, not to long after installing it, i had the chance to try the rps c/c in ryan hoskin's car. it felt incredibly stock. we bought them around the same time and through the same source. i guess he got one before they upped the clamping force :dunno:

evidently some were having some slipping issues at the 1000+hp levels and rps upped the clamping force so it would still be "the ultimate clutch".

my biggest complaint is not the engagement or the driveability, but rather how rps has changed their clutch and never relayed it to the customer. anyone who pays this much $$$ for a clutch should at least know what their getting. i assumed i was getting a clutch that would hold 800 rwhp+ and be a great driver. i guess rps thought i would be better served w/ a clutch that could reverse the rotation of the earth. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
i had the same problem as you except with the exedy.
I wound up going to a single disc setup. I dont like the multi disc clutches.
My next clutch will be the HPF Bronze. Ive heard nothing but positive things about it, You may want to do a search on it, you may be supprised with what comes up.

·
Senior Spooler
1,206 Posts
vettetwinturbo said:
I really appreciate all the feedback. It is pretty much what I supsected. The adjustments helped out a lot in terms of the location of the engagement point. And I am glad to know that I'm not the only one who has stalled the car with this clutch. I have begun to get to used to it but I wonder if I would have been happier with the Tilton. Dusty at MVP was so insistant that the RPS was THE clutch that I went with his opinion. But I think that a lot of people that own this clutch are more geared toward the track and strip. I street drive 95% of the time. I have entirely too much money into my car to hate driving it because of the clutch. At this point I havent driven it for two weeks because I have to sit in traffic on the way to work and its just too much stress trying to find the 1/3 inch engagement point for an hour! I hate to say it but I am ready to consider trying the Tilton if it will allow me to enjoy driving my car again--even if it costs me $4000!
Mine was hell to drive for the initail 1k miles or so, now its really nice. I would say its pedal pressure is stock like but, its a grippy MF'er when cold ! Once it heats up a little its fine. I have the LWFW too.
I know most people don't take enough time to get used to them. I'd keep it in there for at least 1k miles, I felt EXACTLY like you do now! I was scared to drive the car anywhere but it does get better, much better.
I kept thinking about taking it out for the newer version and bite the bullet but it did get better and more and more slippable. It also seems like I have more pedal now too.
I'd say wait a while get used to it at least a 1k miles or so......slip it alot while driving too.
Hope that helps and hopefully it gets better like mine did.

·
6 speed
1,318 Posts
I agree, the pedal pressure is NO WHERE near that of stock. I remember alot of people saying that the pedal pressure was simular to stock. I however did get the most recent one, rps carbon/carbon PRO version. It does get alot better after you break it in though. Maybe you can try putting in the HKS clutch cylinder slave rod thing in?

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
How heavy is a stock clutch pedal on a Supra TT? Mine feels pretty hefty and I have no idea if the clutch has been replaced or not. I was under the impression that my car had a stock clutch, but it requires more effort then my '01 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed to shove in. Maybe somebody upgraded it? My car was bought BPU'ed.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
hmm you guys that say the pedal pressure is no where near stock is shocking. My RPS C/C is pretty close to stock with the pedal pressure. My main complaint about the clutch is the squeal i get randomly. It seems to squeal more when slipped and when its spuealing its very grabby. Compared to my other RPS stage 3 clutch this is really a night and day difference in drivablity. Other than that I like the clutch but I wish I would have gotten the heavy flywheel

·
Fabatini is in the house!
686 Posts
I have one in my 800hp dialy driven 300zx, all I can say is the thing is softer then stock!!!!!! engages right at the bottom. I love it

·
Registered
952 Posts
i think i saw red when I open that cover up. The guy who I bought the car from told me that its RPS C/C clutch in there. Just want to make sure. I mean it grabs great and isn't that stiff compare to my friend's RPS 3 puck clutch. I'll check it this weekend when I check my tranny fluid.

·
Will work for Supra parts
624 Posts
I plan to open it up sometime soon, when I can get the car on jack stands. What color is the stock pressure plate? Black too I assume?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts