Supra Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed new KYB GR-2 to replace the rear-drivers blown GR-2 that was already in there. I had a problem getting the top center nut on the shock (the one that holds the top mount thing on). Whenever I turned the nut, the piston would turn as well. I used an air tool and it tightened it down decently (so I thought). So, now whenever I hit a bump I hear a clunking. I took off the cover and when I push down on the car I can see the nut rising and then clunking back down.

I did some searching and some people said to use washers to put more space under the nut to allow it to tighten easier because there are not enough threads. I think that would work, however, I can not loosen to nut because when I turn it, the piston of the strut turns as well. I don't want to use vice grips on the piston because I don't want to ruin my strut. Is there a better way to do this? The top of the piston is angled, is there some kind of wrench or someting i can buy to hold the piston in place? Thanks guys

·
Acceleration
3,833 Posts
Some people have used vice grips with rags and some kind of protectant to hold it still.

Searching won't really find an answer

I have the same problem and have read pretty much every thread covering the topic.

The main answers are just either that the strut cap is worn so that's why it won't tighten or people say just to put washers like you mentioned. I imagine both ways work and fix the problem, I figured I'd just deal with the clunking noise since it's not worth the all the work to me, I stopped noticing it after the 2nd day or so, and yes it still does it.

hth :bigthumb:

·
This Is Why I'm Hot.....
1,985 Posts
The upper shock mounts normally have a D shaped hole. When that hole gets deformed, and it is easy to do, it will no longer hold the shock rod in place to tighten the nut. Solution? Raise car body, vice grips at top of rod through the spring, tighten nut, done. Or live with a clunk that is most definitely an unacceptable safety hazard.

Since torque value for that nut is a mere 20 ft-lbs, I'd seriously advise against the continued use of air tools for this fastener.

Good luck.

·
Registered
596 Posts
AGlobalThreat said:
Some people have used vice grips with rags and some kind of protectant to hold it still.

Searching won't really find an answer

I have the same problem and have read pretty much every thread covering the topic.

The main answers are just either that the strut cap is worn so that's why it won't tighten or people say just to put washers like you mentioned. I imagine both ways work and fix the problem, I figured I'd just deal with the clunking noise since it's not worth the all the work to me, I stopped noticing it after the 2nd day or so, and yes it still does it.

hth :bigthumb:

that is what i did to solve my problem, but be very careful, as i fucked up once, and ruined my shock. but it led to me getting coilovers :sadance:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts