Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been breaking in the new rebuild. The factory tach won't work, but I'm guessing the RPM is about 2000 under load. The car just stumbles and wants to die. It accelerates very smooth and then drastically stumbles untill you back off the gas. I am getting a code 32, which is AFM, but the hesitation is so bad that I don't believe that is the problem. In neutral the car will rev higher no problem but will begin to hesitate at about 3500RPM. The idle is very smooth and the problem is so consistent in every gear I am a bit stumped. The fuel pump is good. Also I don't have the boost guage installed yet, but it feels like it happens at about 0 psi, right when minor boost should start. BTW: Did a search, nothing found this specific. Any advice appreciated, Thanks, Justin

·
Canada, Eh?
2,397 Posts
well, fix the problems you know about. if you have a freind with a supra, borrow their AFM, see if it fixes the problem. if its not that, start checking the other things: air, fuel, spark. air is fairly easy, check for boost and/or vaccuum leaks. have you checked your timing? if i recall correctly, it should be at 10 degrees base at idle with the jumper set.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
I remember reading something from Dr. Jonez, maybe(?) about how you need to remove a resistor behind the tach for the NA unit to work with the turbo motor. Did you get a turbo gauge panel?
As for the hesitation- did you replace the fuel pump with a turbo fuel pump? I'm not sure how well the NA pump works with the turbo's needs...

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
NA/turbo fuel pumps are the same. that said, you should replace it since its over 15 yrs old....

the tachs are diff, you need to see my write up on my site.

the hesitation is certainly your AFM. think about it- the car has no idea how much air is coming in.....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking...The AFM controls so much that the engine is never going to run right until that problem is fixed. I've heard that the AFM's are different throughout the years, so untill I get that fixed with the right year AFM I can't do too much else. And the point about the fuel pump is a good one. It feels as if the fuel just shuts off at a certain RPM or boost, but since it's pressure regulated I guess fuel pump pressure is the next test. I don't think that is the problem, but man it feels like it. Thanks a lot for the input. I'll post back with the results. P.S... The spark plugs are Bosch, yea, I've read in these posts that these plugs are garbage in the GTE. Justin

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OKAY! Months later I finally found an AFM to borrow from an 88. The problem is solved! Boosted for the first time today. Iiiyy liiike it!! It was the AFM the whole time. Time to move onto the next problem!

·
Stormcock approves
1,859 Posts
Bosche plugs are garbage? How's that? My Bosche plats work fine...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bosch plugs work okay.. but I have to say, my car ran a bit smoother after switching to the OEM style NGK plugs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts