Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi y’all! I purchased an 89 turbo as a fathers gift to myself and I received only one key from the previous owner. The key has some flex to it when I use it to unlock the rear hatch and doors, and I’m a bit worried about breaking it. Was looking to purchase some key blanks from Toyota, but am having trouble figuring out the correct code. Does anyone know if it’s 9099900085 or 9099900212? 212 appears to have the black top identical to the key I’m in possession of where 085 is all silver. Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Both will fit. 085 is an older blank and is all metal. This design was around in the 1970s. The older key blank will fit the MKIII if you choose to use it. 212 is a newer key design (by 80's standards) and has the black top like our keys do. Check the part numbers on Toyota Parts Deal's website. They show actual pictures for some parts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both will fit. 085 is an older blank and is all metal. This design was around in the 1970s. The older key blank will fit the MKIII if you choose to use it. 212 is a newer key design (by 80's standards) and has the black top like our keys do. Check the part numbers on Toyota Parts Deal's website. They show actual pictures for some parts.
Thanks for confirming! Going to order a few of the 212s and go with those.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heads up, some older key blanks are a harder steel and most key shops won't cut steel anymore as it dulls the cutting tools. So be sure to call a few shops before you head out as some will not.
Appreciate the tip! I believe the shop near me should be able to cut em. If not, I’m sure you’re be of the Toyota dealerships near me can handle it (hopefully)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a code on the driver's side lock cylinder for making new keys. You have to take off the door panel to get to it. Just a VIN may not be enough, so bring that lock code as well. It's a few digits.
Man, kinda don’t want to pop the door panel off. This interior is cherry and I’d hate to wreck it lol. Could I alternatively just bring my current key, or you think it may be too worn to be as effective as providing the actual key code?

·
Registered
520 Posts
You may want to call ahead and see what they can do. Taking the door panel off is easy, but, of course, it's even easier if you don't have to. With the code, their machine can cut a brand new key from scratch, or at least they used to be able to. I'd like to know if a Toyota dealer can still do that for such an old car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You may want to call ahead and see what they can do. Taking the door panel off is easy, but, of course, it's even easier if you don't have to. With the code, their machine can cut a brand new key from scratch, or at least they used to be able to. I'd like to know if a Toyota dealer can still do that for such an old car.
I’ll give a few calls to dealerships near me and update this thread with any info I get. Thanks again for the tip

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, called around to a few dealerships near me. I will in fact need that key code u less I want to bring the entire lock cylinder in. Now to figure out how to pop the door panel off without breaking anything and locating the code.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi y’all! I purchased an 89 turbo as a fathers gift to myself and I received only one key from the previous owner. The key has some flex to it when I use it to unlock the rear hatch and doors, and I’m a bit worried about breaking it. Was looking to purchase some key blanks from Toyota, but am having trouble figuring out the correct code. Does anyone know if it’s 9099900085 or 9099900212? 212 appears to have the black top identical to the key I’m in possession of where 085 is all silver. Any help in figuring this out would be greatly appreciated.
Coincidentally I just recently purchased a replacement key for my 1990 just to have a backup. I ordered part # 90999-00174 and had my local hardware cut it today. Fired right up without any trouble. Just another tidbit for consideration.

·
92 TURBO
1,554 Posts
So, called around to a few dealerships near me. I will in fact need that key code u less I want to bring the entire lock cylinder in. Now to figure out how to pop the door panel off without breaking anything and locating the code.
^ First call Toyota Corporate in Torrance CA at 1-800-331-4331 with your VIN # ready. You never know they might still have it in their computer. If they do they won't give it to you for security reasons but they will tell you if they still have it and if so go to any Toyota dealer with proof of ownership ( insurance card with name and VIN will work) and they will call and get the key code and clip you new keys. That's what I did but that was in 2004.
The key code is stamped on the passenger door lock cylinder on LH drive models.
If you know anyone with a good borescope you can roll down pass window and send probe down door and over to lock cylinder. Key code is stamped on side. My code started with " XO" and than has 3 numbers for a total of 5 characters.
Also check owners manual if you have one. Sometimes people write it in there.
Lastly if you know the original selling dealer they might still have it in their own records, a long shot but you never know.

EDIT: found this older post from 2004:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
^ First call Toyota in Torrance CA at 1-800-331-4331 with your VIN # ready. You never know they might still have it in their computer. If they do they won't give it to you for security reasons but they will tell you if they still have it and if so go to any Toyota dealer with proof of ownership ( insurance card with name and VIN will work) and they will call and get the key code and clip you new keys. That's what I did but that was in 2004.
The key code is stamped on the passenger door lock cylinder on LH drive models.
If you know anyone with a good borescope you can roll down pass window and send probe down door and over to lock cylinder. Key code is stamped on side. My code started with " XO" and than has 3 numbers for a total of 5 characters.
Also check owners manual if you have one. Sometimes people write it in there.
Lastly if you know the original selling dealer they might still have it in their own records, a long shot but you never know.
Thank you for the tips. I tried calling my local with the vin and they needed the code, didn’t have it in their system. I may try to call around to others, but wasn’t too confident the result would be any different.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts