Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Toyota Powertrain Guru
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the track the other night just to try out the ProEFI traction control. I put on my Toyo DRs intending to hit the tire pretty hard and get some wheel spin to see what kind of difference it makes. I gotta say I was pretty happy with how well it worked. Here were my runs in order. These are 1/8th mile times and each pass I hit the tire with 12 or more psi at 4200+ RPM. Normally I would have spun well into 2nd gear and run higher than 8sec if I launched like that on a bad track with these tires.

7.64 1.84 60ft (left lane)
7.67 1.85 60ft (left lane)
7.52 1.75 60ft (right lane)
7.54 1.76 60ft (right lane)

I lined up against a blown 05 S06 vette and had to give him the business so I pulled back on launch RPM and boost and ran a 7.30 1.57 60ft. Obviously traction control doesn't give you traction, it only helps you control slippage. Driving the car for the conditions will always be optimal but as you can see when you do get slippage, traction control can really help you from completely wasting a run. I can't believe how consistant the car was considering I just let it fly on the launch. Another thing I didn't expect was when I didn't have to focus so much on driving the car off the line, my reaction times were better. Anywhere from .520s to .600s and I really wasn't trying to be on my light (except for running the vette). Normally I have to balance launch RPM and boost with when I leave. I just left when I wanted and let the TC worry about the tire slippage.

I attached a pic of the front tire speed, rear tire speed, and the slippage for one point in time. The dip is when the speed differential goes to a point where timing isn't getting it done, the soft rev limiter steps in and give the tires a chance to catch up. You can tailor the amount of slip and how the ECM reacts to optimize acceleration. This was my first ball park estimation and isn't remotely tuned to the best it can be. It was just a stab in the dark and actually worked out pretty well! I allow significant slip at low speeds then tone it down as front wheel speed increases.

Another huge advantage I realized was that I could force the tires to plant before it gets into 2nd gear which is CRITICAL with keeping the stock ATM in once piece. Even 6spd cars on DRs can benefit by stopping wheel hop before the diff gets hammered apart. The whole time the TC was activating the car was still pulling forward without the typical fall on its face reaction of most OEM traction controls. That of course is tuning dependant.

I use the factory trac switch to turn it on and off and the OEM trac light to tell me when its on/off or working. I can set it so the trac is automatically off or on when you start the car. Its actually much better to drive this way and I leave it default to on with the only time I shut it off is for the burn out. I can have it so that if I have my foot on the brake, it will disable so I can do a burnout and race without ever touching the button.

All I can say is on a crap night, I still ran pretty respectable times and consistant most of all! Overall I am very excited to have it set up. On the street its pretty sweet as I can lay on it and let the car take care of itself.

· Vendor
4,627 Posts
Glad to see you posting more Dave. Very very cool info, ecu seems to have a ton of nice features.

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Glad to hear its working good. keep us posted when you get back to the track when conditions are more favorable. Now I really want to get mine hooked up!

· Registered
7,567 Posts
Carry one please now that there are far more users. I guess I'm trying to find out if I can roll around on street tires and do very well from a dig against anything considerably better then what we are all used to with our cars.

· HighCompression+Boost=Win
2,717 Posts
I haven't had much experience from a dig with my car but 1st-4 trac works great. I get boost creep so keeping power below 700 is hard but proefi still does a great job keeping my car from spinning too bad. I have R888's so I am sure that helps as well. When I had my 67mm on the car it did a great job. I haven't sorted all my issues out on the newest set up yet, hopefully soon.

I will tell you that it's a thousand times better than spinning and lifting or trying to spin through it. My old red Supra would loose traction at the top of 3rd and 4th and kick out hard to the right. The new car just goes straight with proefi.

What tires are you using?

-Andy

· Im A Fuking Ninja!!!
6,330 Posts
Do i need a full Proefi EMS or is there a seperate traction control system?

· Premium Member
6,188 Posts
Do i need a full Proefi EMS or is there a seperate traction control system?
If you want just a standalone trac control system check out the Racelogic. It does a fantastic job, and should be on every single turbo car that doesn't have a standalone ECU with traction control IMO.

· Registered
94 Supra TT
2,263 Posts
Works great on the street, just floor and go. When it kicks in, just feather off the throttle the same as you would when using ABS for feedback. That way you don't lift and lose boost. I never go sideways anymore :) I smoked a lambo with foot to the floor and it was going off quite a bit. You'd feel the slightest sideways kick start to happen and instantly correct. I would just hear the car going bah, bah, bah, bahh, bahhhhhhh like the slightest stutter but never really losing pace, although of course it would have gone faster without the traction loss if I was running DR's. It's a compromise, as with anything. Street tires and TC if you drive your car a lot and might see rain, or just get DR's if you're a sunny-weather-only driver. The stock system nearly got me rear ended while merging, so it's infinitely better to run the ProEFI.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.