Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, my mods are in my sig. I'm an NA-T. First of let me start by saying, all NA-T's have external wastegates correct? Cause somehow if I set my bc to "external wastegate" I can't control the boost for shit. When I select it as "actuator" (aka internal I guess) I can control the boost fine.

But the thing is, when I have it as "actuator" I can't seem to control the fuel curve. The fuel curve is crazy when I have it as "actuator".

Here are 2 dyno's below showing the a/f of "external" and "actuator".

Basically, I need help setting my bc; should I set it to external or internal? Like which one is the proper one?

See how the fuel curve is smooth on external and yet jumping like shit when it's on actuator?

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
External wastegate for a turbo kit like PHR and BoostLogic, and Actuator for stock twins and such is how I believe you set it. Is it possible you have the boost controller vacuum lines plumbed incorrectly?

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
braddman said:
External wastegate for a turbo kit like PHR and BoostLogic, and Actuator for stock twins and such is how I believe you set it. Is it possible you have the boost controller vacuum lines plumbed incorrectly?
I have an NA-T, so no "stock twins".

------------

Just talked to Dave Henry. He says it depends on how the vacuum lines are being ran. Even if it's an external wg, it still depends on the vacuum lines. So I'll try to draw a diagram of how mine is setup.

Yea, sloppy picture I know. What I forgot to add (not sure if it matters) there's some electrical wires that runs from the brainbox to the bc unit.

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
michaelvanle said:
I have an NA-T, so no "stock twins".

------------

Just talked to Dave Henry. He says it depends on how the vacuum lines are being ran. Even if it's an external wg, it still depends on the vacuum lines. So I'll try to draw a diagram of how mine is setup.

Yea, sloppy picture I know. What I forgot to add (not sure if it matters) there's some electrical wires that runs from the brainbox to the bc unit.
Doesn't look right...

Use this.

http://greddy.com/tech/PROFEC_A_B_HELP.pdf

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
This is a cut and paste of my email to Dave:
-----------------------------

Here's some pictures of how my boost controller is installed. Here's what the colors mean;

green= "out" on the solenoid; it goes to the wg
red= "in" on the solenoid; it goes to the line on the turbo

I'm not sure how this bc was installed, as I didn't install it. But when I set it to "actuator" I was able to control the boost. On external "wastegate" I can't control it (like the knobs won't do anything).

From the unit itself the vacuum sourse is tapped at the intake manifold.

Here's an overall view of the work space:

Here you can see the "out" line going into the side of the wg:

Here you can see the "in" line going to the some source on the turbo itself:

Here's a picture of the wastegate's "head". Somehow it has a hole with nothing:

-please advice me on what to do.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,052 Posts
You have an external wastegate, so set it to "external"

The "actuator" setting is for if you have an internal wastegate.

Does the solenoid box have 3 ports? I'm not 100% on the order of the ports on your greddy as compared to an hks solenoid box, but they're almost always setup like this.

Hope that helped you somewhat

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mark 2JZ said:
You have an external wastegate, so set it to "external"

The "actuator" setting is for if you have an internal wastegate.
Yea, I know... but somehow I can't seem to control the boost for shit when I have it setup as "external wastegate". Like the knobs don't seem to work. Like you know how clockwise is boost up and c-clockwise is boost down. Well if I have it setup on external, I have to try every which position and the most I can get is like 14psi.

But when I have it setup on actuator, I can control the boost up to like 18psi. And clockwise will turn the boost up, and c-clockwise will turn the boost down. So frustrating.

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,052 Posts
What boost level is your WG spring supposed to open at? The top of your WG should, I believe, have a barb or some sort of way to hook up your boost controller, if you don't want to run off of the WG spring alone.

(added a little diagram to my previous post)

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Mark 2JZ said:
The top of your WG should, I believe, have a barb or some sort of way to hook up your boost controller
Yes, that's what someone told me. They told me my setup is wrong. Right now I have the "out" of the solenoid to the side of the wg, and the "in" of the solenoid to the turbo compressor.

Someone said that it should be setup like the following:
"out" of the solenoid to the top of the wg. Side of the wg to the turbo compressor. Then T off the turbo compressor and run a line back to the "in" of the solenoid.

This one makes sense, but however the top of my HKS wg doesn't have a nipple or anything. So what do I do?

·
I'm back!
6,710 Posts
michaelvanle said:
Yes, that's what someone told me. They told me my setup is wrong. Right now I have the "out" of the solenoid to the side of the wg, and the "in" of the solenoid to the turbo compressor.

Someone said that it should be setup like the following:
"out" of the solenoid to the top of the wg. Side of the wg to the turbo compressor. Then T off the turbo compressor and run a line back to the "in" of the solenoid.

This one makes sense, but however the top of my HKS wg doesn't have a nipple or anything. So what do I do?
I gave you the manual up there straight from greddy. Follow the external wastegate instructions and you're golden.

·
11,219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
braddman said:
I gave you the manual up there straight from greddy. Follow the external wastegate instructions and you're golden.
Yep, thanks. I have the basic knowledge of how it should go now. I guess the old owner set it up all wrong and I never noticed. According to the pdf you gave me, the side port of the wg should go back into the intake manifold. But other people tell me it should go to the turbo compressor, then T it off so I can run another line to the "in" of the bc. I guess it's the same shit.

Then I should run a line from the "out" of the bc to the top of the wg. However the top of my wg is missing a nipple or whatever. You see it? What should I do? What is it missing?

·
i recorded mark7m001.mp3
2,052 Posts
are there threads in it? you should be able to get a threaded barb fitting to be able to put a hose on it. either that or an equivalent banjo fitting with a hose barb end if space is tight.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts