Supra Forums banner

Programmable ECU for Supra's!

84K views 727 replies 77 participants last post by  Jason S. 
G
#1 ·
If anyone is going to SEMA, I would highly recommend stopping by the AEM booth. Yes, I know AEM hasn't made much for the Supra's. There is a new Engine Management System that will controll all of the stock Turbo actuators, Automatic transmission controlls and still have plenty of left over outputs to controll anything you desire. The system plugs directly into the stock wiring harness with no wiring adapters (the ECU has the supra plug built in to it). All of the functions are user definable. It has 6 times the functions of a Motec M48 Pro, built in datalogging up to 1 meg (or about 45 minutes of logging all channels). The Software is all Windows based, and very easy to use. The system will sell for under $2k complete. Absolutely nothing needs wired, cut or spliced. The stock ECU can be re-installed at any time for dealer warranties, or smog (did I say that, of course not). Believe me, this thing is bad-ass. Oh, it also comes with a complete dyno tuned base map, so start up is as easy as plugging in the stock ecu.

Jason. S.

G
#3 ·
Yes, it will correct for a user defined 3d air/fuel ratio, it is not a piggy back but a complete replacement ECU with knock control (over both knock sensors which is also user defined), and all of the stock stuff still works including A/C, guages, etc.. Traction control may be out, but who cares.

Jason S.

#4 ·
Interesting!

Well this certainly is some welcome news... I'm glad AEM has graduated from the "riceboy" market (CAI... :rolleyes: ) and developed an ECU for the Supra... I wonder how Apex is going to respond to this one... wasn't their unit being anticipated for the US-spec MAF Supras?

By "controlling the turbo actuators" does that mean it has built-in functionality to control boost and sequential/parallel turbo operation? I'm completely clueless as far as stand-alone engine management, so I presume you can still use an S-AFC and VPC on top of this unit? And you'd have to ditch the BCC once this thing is in charge?

Can it do anything cool with the stock auto transmission? Perhaps a user-programmable lockup window or output for a temperature/pressure gauge? (Does the stock auto have sensors for this?)

Also, the TRAC system is controlled by a second control unit - there's a good possibility that it is retained with the AEM engine management setup.

I guess we won't be paying $1300 for a raised rev limiter any more...

Isn't it ironic that a bunch of riceboys that bought cold air intakes and cat-backs are the ones who funded research & development for a state-of-the-art engine management system for the top Japanese import in the US? :D

Also, this basically means that AEM has a project car - was there any mention of an AEM-powered Supra?

Cool shit! :) Can't wait to get mine... one of these days...

G
#5 ·
Picture this, pretend that you have the stock computer in the car controlling everything as is. But now you want the twins to come on at 3500 instead of 4500, enter it in the software, and you have it. Say you want the auto trans to shift at 8000 and at full line pressure, enter it in the software, and you have it. Say you want the converter to fully lock up in 3rd gear, enter it, and you have it. Say you want straight twins instead of sequential, enter it and you have it. The fuel, timing, boost, shifts, everything the stock ecu controlls, this one does. You can ditch the 3 letter words (BCC, VPC, GCC), you don't need them. You can run mass air, or ditch the Maf and run speed density. Anything you want, control nitrous, individual cylinder fuel and timing, make your hazards come on when you hit 150mph, anything.

Jason S.

G
#6 ·
Does AEM sponsor Supras? hell they sponsor the fastest Supras in this country (maybe not a MK4) but they sponsor my buddies Russ M. & Joel Tanzman both in the 9's ( btw Joel just ran 10.50's in the idrc event in Az on BFg drag radials beating the other MK4 Supras competing)
AEM's Jonh C. has been working on Supras longer that most Supras tuners in this forum, and was selling Electromotive units back in like 1989 and tunning webber carbs forever.
Hopefully John see's this and sponsors us for next year.

#8 · (Edited)
FRISBEE said:
..but they sponsor my buddies Russ M. & Joel Tanzman both in the 9's ( btw Joel just ran 10.50's in the idrc event in Az on BFg drag radials beating the other MK4 Supras competing)
Less you forget that Joel's car has a Powerglide, and is a "street" car only by the true definition of the rules. If Joel would like to take that Monet of a car on a canyon run, road racing, or to the grocery store as the "other competing MK4 Supras" do, I extend the offer...

And before everyone gets excited about this project, keep in mind that AEM currently offers *NO* electronic equipment of any kind.

NONE

I'll stick with Motec :)

#12 ·
If this is the same Jason who used to own ASP before he sold it, he designed one of the best "stand alones" for the RX-7. I don't know how much marketing he did with that piece, but if he's got AEM's finacial backing then we could be looking at a revolution in Supra tuning guys. I may get in contact with a couple of Jason's buddies in Omaha and confirm this. But I was talking to one of them on sat. night and he had said something about this then. I was told to keep it quiet, but I guess I don't need to now.

Jason,

If you are the Jason that owned ASP, this is Jesse with the Black Supra from Lincoln, I could be very interested....

contact me @
Sixthgearperformance@hotmail.com

#13 ·
asf

I hope this is true cause I am looking for a good standalone that will basically be plug and play for the supra meaning that I dont have to install all new sensors and shit...Keep us posted or email me some more details..I am definately interested..

G
#14 ·
This is the same Jason, yes it is true, better believe it, and it will kick the ?##! out of the Motec. Unless of course you like to hack up and re-wire your car, and spend 6times the amount doing it, and get way less features for your money. Try running an auto trans with the motec, or the stock sequentials and your Direct fire ignition without buying an ignition expander or a bunch of other stuff. I am not in any way putting down Motec, it is very good equipment. Ours will do way more and cost way less. By the way, all of the R&D for this I did on my 94TT Automatic MKIV, and it works flawlessly, I can't release the horsepower figures yet, but think of what you gain with a VPC, GCC, BCC, and EBC, then add some more ponies. Remember you have complete control over fuel and timing as well as all of the other auxillary functions.

Jason S.

#17 ·
Frisbee - how come you didn't come up to the October IDRC event in Denver?

FRISBEE said:
Does AEM sponsor Supras? hell they sponsor the fastest Supras in this country (maybe not a MK4) but they sponsor my buddies Russ M. & Joel Tanzman both in the 9's ( btw Joel just ran 10.50's in the idrc event in Az on BFg drag radials beating the other MK4 Supras competing)
AEM's Jonh C. has been working on Supras longer that most Supras tuners in this forum, and was selling Electromotive units back in like 1989 and tunning webber carbs forever.
Hopefully John see's this and sponsors us for next year.

#19 ·
This is quite intresting. If it is true, then i'll have to pass on the Tec-II i was planning on. The only way to program it will be through a laptop? No key commander type device? Will we be able to choose different maps on the fly without a laptop? You talked about the Map sensor, would this be included with the ecu? If not, how much? Will it be one of the map sensors off of a mustang or what not?

G
#20 ·
Frisbee - how come you didn't come up to the October IDRC event in Denver?

I live in California now (I work at AEM). I haven't had time to work on my RX-7 (It still has a broken transmission). I will see about posting some demo software for people to look at.

Jason S.

G
#21 ·
This is quite intresting. If it is true, then i'll have to pass on the Tec-II i was planning on. The only way to program it will be through a laptop? No key commander type device? Will we be able to choose different maps on the fly without a laptop? You talked about the Map sensor, would this be included with the ecu? If not, how much? Will it be one of the map sensors off of a mustang or what not?

Yes, you will need a laptop to tune the car (it does come with a dyno tuned base map). You will definately want at least a 3 bar map sensor this will come with the unit. So you will need to purchase nothing. We are also looking at making a Mass air eliminator pipe that is tuned for the car. This may or may not come in the kit, but will be available seperately.

Jason S.

#24 ·
Sounds sweet. Ive always wondered why there wasnt something like this out for people.

I will definatly order one.

Casey

#25 ·
Jason,

we neeeeeeed a date, we have to plan for our Christmas present. Yeap, that sound like a good idea. Open up the box under the Christmas tree and OUAOU an Adjustable ECU for my dawg. Dream on, I think my savings is going to be couple of grant short again. Please give us a date!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(

Best
Dimitri:)

#26 ·
Sounds Like a Winner

If it is at all valid. I know A'PEXi has a Power FC that includes some of the same features but I don't know what ever came about with the MKIV model.

Anyway Jason, stop teasin' man and give us some hard core info.
Is this a for sure thing (definetly, 100% going to make out to the market)?

If so, will it be possible to put a deposit down on one?

Who's the contact person/people (names/numbers)?

What's the ETA?

You're looking at a majority of the MKIV market right here on this board. When you announce something like this and all its potential, you could possibly have a lot of takers. Let us know something.
Thanks
Peace:coolk:
--B--

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.