Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys,

I haven't really been posting on here much lately since my car hasn't been running... Some might remember me having this car (and these are not Jeep lights on top of the car, it's called parking meters behind the car, LOL):

Well, last September I traded it + $$$ for a clean 91T - that you can see in my signature... Only problem is that the HG went out pretty much as soon as I bought it :( So I replaced it with a stock HG with ARPs in December, well that gave out like a month later :( I got myself an old Accord for a beater and saved up some cash and now here I am...

I got a pretty sweet deal from a friend for a full 7MGTE engine and R154 tranny so we went up to Connecticut to pick it up last week... The block and tranny are BRAND NEW... That's right, I said it, brand new... well, remanufactured by Toyota :D They both have a grand total of 800 miles on them... The head is so clean, looks like it was rebuilt right before those 800 miles also :)

I definitely have some cleaning up to do on this because it was sitting for over a year(with oil in it), but everything seems to be in great condition (and should be) on the inside...

Here's my list of parts/things to do for this project

-Brand new 7MGTE Block
-Brand new R154 Transmission
-Rebuilt 7MGTE Head
-Cometic Head GAsket
-ARP Hardware
-5 Speed Conversion
-Spec stage 3 Clutch
-Apexi Power Intake
-Tial BOV
-Custom IC Hardpipes
-Fluydine or PWR Radiator
-Custom Oil Cooler Setup
-Oil Filter Relocation
-Battery Relocation
-Oil Catch Can
-Greddy Full Auto Turbo Timer
-Autometer gauges

I might've missed something... lol

I also have these plans for a few months later once everything is running fine and broken in:

-Lexus LS400 AFM
-550cc Fuel Injectors
-APEXi Super-AFC II
-boost controller
-SP61GT turbo
-Paint Job
-Brembos
-Suspension

I'll post up some progress pics :D

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's the engine in Connecticut... It was stored indoors covered for over a year, but for some reason

the guy put it outside uncovered for the last month :die:

Wasn't too impressed with that, but should be good anyways from what I see :)

Here's the engine in my garage...

"Used to be polished" valve covers

"Used to be polished" intake plenum

Very clean cams :D

Here are pics of the R154 tranny, a few rust spots...

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, here's the progress from Day 1...

Cleaned up the tranny for about 30 minutes with PB blaster and brush... Looking much better. Will spend more time on this later on too... :)

Engine as it stands now... Removed harness, valve covers, engine mounts, intake plenum, a few other things...

A few pics of the camshafts, very clean, I like :bigthumb:

S

·
0 Posts
Sounds like a good find, but the guy is an idiot for putting the thing outside without cover.
Make sure to put oil on those cams before putting the came cover on.

The engine is fine, but the tranny would concern me if water got in the shifter hole. Just make sure to drain all the fluids and refill it.
Don't forget the black cover that goes here...

I'd also change all the seals (including the cam seals behind the cam gears).
Good luck with it.

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh yeah, everything will be done properly...

I'm taking the engine completely apart except the bottom end assembly... Gonna replace all gaskets and seals... I'll get the head surface checked and put a Cometic HG with ARP studs. I think the head surface and resurfacing flywheel will be the only machining I'll need. I also have brand new oil pump, water pump and PS pump sitting here.

As far as the tranny, I have the same concerns... I'm gonna keep trying to clean it... I'm gonna drain it and refill with fluid... I'll repeat that a few times early on... Maybe like after 100 miles, 500 miles and 1,000 miles. Hoping for the best on that. But yeah, he should've at least covered the holes with a plastic bag and elastic, at the very least...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Is it just me or did the guy run royal purple motor oil? For some reason it looks like there's some purple shinning on them cam shaft bolts... if so, is it true once you use that motor oil you cant go to anything els?

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, as far as I know and can explain (hopefully) - what happens is that if you have an older motor that has always used regular oil, you probably have some deposits "stuck" in the engine... Now if you go ahead and change it to synthetic oil, those "deposits" get unstuck and go through your engine and depending on how much you had and how big they are, it might clog up oil passages and then you don't get any oil circulating in your engine - and that's NOT GOOD!!!

At least, that's how I understand it... Anyone else can add to this :)

This engine ran for 800 miles TOTAL... so I don't think it really matters what oil was put in it, I should be able to use anything good. That said I'm also taking it all apart except the bottom end, so I'll clean anything that needs cleaning. I think I might run Royal Purple anyways on this :D

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
NegativeGeForce said:
cool :) Are you gonna need some help with that load? :)

Yeah, I can use some help... I'll let you know when I work on it - probably Saturday afternoon to take the rest apart :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
first its about damn time, second great find. cant wait to see this thing run

any idea on how long it will take you till its running? we gotta get you out on our next meet up.

josh

·
yeah thats me!
2,570 Posts
hella nice, :bigthumb:
-Ian

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jpeek29208 said:
first its about damn time, second great find. cant wait to see this thing run

any idea on how long it will take you till its running? we gotta get you out on our next meet up.

josh

Yes, it is about damn time, lol

How long ? good question.... I have about another $1500 worth of parts I still want to order (retail value, might find better deals) But I now have quite a few parts to sell, so that might get me up and running sooner. My prediction is sometime in June...

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Day 2 and 3

First the good stuff... I'm down to just an assembled block...

All cylinders except one are perfect, look brand new... Can still see the perfect cross hatching...

Everything underneath looks brand new as well...

Now the Bad Stuff... Definitely a setback, but will get $$$ back from previous owner...

Anyway, of cleaning this up without re-honing the cylinder?? Like is there anything I can put in there that would eat up the rust - I've heard Coke is good for that.... maybe not in this case, any feedback appreciated. I'm assuming it needs to get rehoned, but I just want to see any opinions out there and if there would be any chance of saving it... Remember this is a brand new block assembled by Toyota so I would've like to not mess around with the pistons, rods, crank, etc.

Valves a bit rusty, there was water that flooded #3 cylinder all the way to the intake manifold, so valves were in water...

I cleaned up the valves with a brush... Does it look like I really need a valve job or not ? More can definitely come off, this is with like 2 minutes of cleaning...

·
2,275 Posts
OUCH! Man that sucks I hope you at least get more then 25% money back from the guy who left the motor out side, you have a lot of work ahead of you best of luck.

·
1/2 Na-T Project
987 Posts
gaiter83 said:
Day 2 and 3

Anyway, of cleaning this up without re-honing the cylinder?? Like is there anything I can put in there that would eat up the rust - I've heard Coke is good for that.... maybe not in this case, any feedback appreciated. I'm assuming it needs to get rehoned, but I just want to see any opinions out there and if there would be any chance of saving it... Remember this is a brand new block assembled by Toyota so I would've like to not mess around with the pistons, rods, crank, etc.

You should definately rehone the cylinders, don't think there is any way around it. You need a nice crosshatch for the rings to seal properly.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
clean it up and see how it looks. sometimes it can look worse that it really is.. get a roll of paper towels to clean all that rust out and use hella wd-40.

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
I agree, if this is low budget, clean it out first, I have seen motors with stuck rings run fine with burning oil. Just be prepared for the worst if you decide not to pull it apart

·
I don't want an MK4!
1,727 Posts
I hope you got a damn good deal on that. What the hell was the guy thinking, letting it sit out side?

·
Registered
176 Posts
well it was lookin good till i saw the rust in the cyl... that sucks... hope for the best on removing it

·
Tampa Bay Supras
707 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
silverinferno84 said:
OUCH! Man that sucks I hope you at least get more then 25% money back from the guy who left the motor out side, you have a lot of work ahead of you best of luck.

90Legend said:
I hope you got a damn good deal on that. What the hell was the guy thinking, letting it sit out side?

I did get a good deal..... $1500 for:

-brand new 7MGTE block assembled by Toyota
-brand new R154 Tranny
-Rebuilt head
-good turbo
-wire harness
-etc.

Basically everything from coilpacks to oil pan and throttle body to turbo....

So far, I think I'll be getting back whatever it costs me at the machine shop to get it all fixed...

To explain a bit more on the situation... I bought it from a friend, but he's not the one that let the engine sit outside. He had another friend in CT look after the engine until he found a buyer so he wouldn't have to get it shipped to FL and then back to the buyer afterwards. I'm hoping to get back like $500 - well I still owe $500, so calling it even at this point and being on good terms would be good. I'm sure everything will work out in the end, but yeah it does suck...

When I think about it, he could've bought a $5 tarp and everything would be fine... :dunno:

1 - 20 of 149 Posts