Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This project won't be finished for a few years. It is most likely going to take 5-8 years for me to complete, because I’m far from being a millionaire, but I figured I would start my build thread for it anyway. My goal is to build an 1100-1200HP 2JZ and install it into a 2005-2008 Mustang. I don’t have the chassis yet nor do I have all my parts, but I’m working on it.

I did a computer rendering of my basic idea for the mustang chassis itself. The idea for the chassis is still a rough draft and I’m likely to make some changes. For instance, since I made the rendering I’ve been stuck between whether to have the car painted gloss black, flat black, or a dark gunmetal. I have changed my mind on the hood and no longer want the Eleanor hood; instead I wish to have a vented hood to extract the heat, sort of like this one:

I plan on making the hood, as well as many other aesthetic pieces myself out of carbon fiber. I’ll make my own front fenders out of carbon fiber, etc. I have never tried laying CF cloth before, but after viewing a few YouTube videos it doesn’t seem too complex.

Here is the computer rendering I made of the chassis.

Right now I’m in the planning and engine building phase. I will make a list of parts I have as well as planned parts for future use.

I have in my possession:

HKS Adjustable Cam Gears
HKS Kevlar Timing Belt
Purple Titanium Timing Cover Bolts (from dressupbolts.com) <<< Very nice
Carrillo HD H-Beam Connecting Rods with the upgraded bolts

I am about to purchase these in a 3 weeks:

JDM 2JZGTE Aristo Swap Package (with auto trans)
Ferrea 1mm oversized In. and Ex. Valves
Ferrea valve seats
Ferrea valve guides
Ferrea valve oil seals
Ferrea valve locks
Ferrea dual valve springs
Ferrea titanium retainers
HKS 280deg Cams
Billet mains
L19 main studs
L19 head studs

I plan to purchase in future:

NEW Getrag 6-speed Transmission
Tilton Triple Carbon Clutch
GT47-88R Turbo
Titan Ultimate Pistons (10:1 Compression Ratio – For E85)
Modified Oil Pump
Shim-less buckets
Custom intake manifold (fabbed by Mike Vig)
Custom exhaust manifold (also by Mike)
Custom PCV system (12an to catch can and then to venturi check valve in exhaust pipe)
Weldon Fuel Pump
Not sure about injector size… Maybe 2400cc?
Weldon Fuel Regulator
Motec Engine Management with Wideband
Direct port nitrous wet system, 2 stages, likely to be NX. Will probably use 150-200 shot.
Experimental Intercooler Setup
Will be tuned by Darin Dichiara

You may notice the high CR for the pistons. That is because this vehicle will be strictly run on E85 and/or E98 fuel. An issue I’ve been having with the build is whether it is worth getting the billet stroker crank. I figure the stock crank would have less of a chance of bending if I’m using the billet mains with L19 main studs. I also figure I could use bigger bore pistons in tandem with the stock crank to bump up the displacement some.

I already realize that I’m going to need custom motor mounts and transmission mount as well as a custom driveshaft to fit the motor. I might even have to make a few modifications to the transmission well to make that beast of a Getrag to fit! The rear end will not be from a TT supra. Instead I’ve decided to use a ford 9” rear end from Currie enterprises. I will be using a 3.25:1 gear ratio as the TT 6spd supra uses 3:13.

My choice of chassis is extremely beneficial to me. There is a huge amount of aftermarket support for this car and will have no problems making it hook. I plan on having a full race cage while keeping everything in the interior; including the rear seats! I will be getting a linked suspension, sub-frame connectors, the works!

I’m sure I’m forgetting a bunch of crap, but I’ll add that later on in this thread if need be. I hope you all like my planned project and I hope to get mature responses. People on mustang forums weren’t so forgiving. I suppose they are offended by a Toyota motor in a mustang stomping their v8?

I am open to any suggestions, recommendations, or constructive input.

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I knew i forgot something! I want to put underbody panels under the chassis to reduce lift when driving at high speeds like on this car:

I'm going to get a roll cage that is very similar to this design:

Like I mentioned previously, I hope to make the nastiest cage possible while retaining a full interior and the functionality of both front and rear seats. i will probably make a mold of the dash and door panels, so i can make copies in carbon fiber and help reduce weight.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
It is most likely going to take 5-8 years for me to complete, because I’m far from being a millionaire, but I figured I would start my build thread for it anyway.
Wat

·
97 HARD TOP
1,044 Posts
lol well perfection takes time and youve already got the mind set right for it as well as the planning, hope it all works out for you and im sure ill see this thread bump up from time to time with progress, looks like a great build once its all said and done

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I agree with Cooper! Best of luck and stay motivated! My build is still going!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
8 years.... hmm... get a job and you might be done in 2... ?

·
Registered
255 Posts
By the time your build is complete half the parts in your car would be rendered priceless to yourself and worthless to others, I just took a look at your list and saw almost every "expensive" part on the market being used, its almost as though you went through a few sites grabbed the most expensive part and put it on your list. 5-8 years is a very long time and I haven't seen many people who have stuck to their project after a 2/3 year period, so ill give you my "goodluck" but I dont think you will stick to plan with the project posted in post #1.

If you have planned it then you would have every fine detail in place - buying "colorful" purple bolts before a chassy is something I see as stupid...

This seems like your "dream" build, and I doubt it will go any further then that.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
I kind of agree with what has been said before. When i was a couple of years younger i started on a project as well... I'm sad to say that i own the car for 10 years and have yet to finish it.

As for making parts out of CF if you've never produced a part before i'd say give up on that idea. The problem with CF and other resin/fiber based plastics is that if you do a simple wet layup it will get you nothing but an extremely heavy product. Unless you have access to a vacuumpump (and i don't mean the ones you use to clean the shop floor ;) ) you will always have a way too high resin to fiber ratio. I have been there too, after spending a LOT of time on making molds and products i eventually came to the conclusion that buying the original part is both more cost effective and a better way to spend your time.

Even though i have a feeling that the project will never get much further than an engine or maybe a chassis... i would absolutely love it if you could prove me wrong :)

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I was planning on using vacuum bags dude. It really isn't very difficult to work with cf. All you need is the right equipment. I wouldn't even consider a wet layup for my parts. If you don't use the vauum bagging process, then you compromise the structural integrity of the cf and it's heavier than it needs to be. The bonus of doing it myself is that I can use modelling clay to modify basic parts, such as the timing cover, to have whatever kind of vents my imagination can create. Any modifications would become represented in the molds that are produced. Not only that, but if a company really likes my custom molded part, then I can sell the mold to them. I could even mass produce the parts for people who like the custom part on supraforums. Alternatively, I could produce a few backup peices of the same part, then destroy the mold, so I am the only one who has that unique part. The opportunities are limitless guys.

I don't really care if people think I won't stick with my project. People are entitled to their own opinions. I will, however, keep this thread updated as I slowly go along. I never said I was sticking to the plan absolutely, so the project may get a few small changes here and there, but that is why I said I was open to constructive suggestions in my first post. :bigthumb:

I don't understand why people are always so skeptical on forums. I posted a thread about my home gym project and what it was going to be like on a bodybuilding forum and I got a massive amount of grief. It wasn't until I finished my gym that people finally shut up, but even then they said the gym wasn't mine... lol If anyone came to my house they would clearly see my gym in my garage. Here is a vid of my finished gym project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eyr-yY9xv0I

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Not trying to trash your ideas at all but there have been numerous guys on here that plan on tackling a HUGE project and fail in the end, which is why a lot of us are skeptical. If you plan everything good enough, do enough reading up on stuff and make sure you have plenty of backup-budget once things get going i'm sure the possibilities are endless.

As for composites, i recommend you head on over to http://www.compositescentral.net/index.php if you weren't familiar with it yet, lots of good info there.

I'd like to see you pull it off but like i said before, we've seen others fail before and this isn't a small project you're starting.

ps. nice gym ;)

·
Banned
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.