Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a question about where to get the most powerful custom grind camshafts made for the 7M-GE?

Also what components including a custom ecu & usb tuning on the dyno to actually put down 240whp or more?

Thanks

1989-1992 Toyota Supra 7M-GE manual transmission w-58

PS - How much will all this cost in USD?

·
Registered
195 Posts
It costs a good bit to make power with a 7M GE. You may have better luck swapping in a 7M-GTE. From a cost stand point you would make more power from the GTE than you would from GE for the same price... that's just my guess.

·
Registered
964 Posts
your guess is a reality Cowboy

I've swapped my 7mge/w58 to turbo, over the years, in stages

used oem turbo manifold is like $75, a core turbo to rebuild ~$100

early 7mge yellow plug wire harness can be reworked to allow 7mgte ecu (hell, gte ecu can actually run ge igniter and distributor, did that myself for a while). man a few years back the turbo ecu was like $40.

but really you want to go standalone to do "usb tuning"?

I assume you mean the stand alone can hook up to a pc. (usb, serial, bluetooth, lots of interfaces / choices) and then that pc can have wifi and internet so a tuner can log into your pc (logmein/teamviewer etc) and get it tuned / running by configuring the stand alone remote. yeah thats a mouthful haha

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
PS - How much will all this cost in USD?
Just figure $20k to get it all said and done.

You're really going to have to want a high power NA motor to actually succeed at it.

Just go turbo, honestly.

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
long stroke small bore of the 7m REQUIRES a massive amount of money on internals to spin to stupid RPM. Cams won't do anything without the proper RPM windows. Also with the higher RPM

Custom 1 off Cam's? 3k to 4k EASILY on a single set built from the ground up (not regrinds).

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the reply everyone. I'd like to keep it N/A. So I understand the engine doesn't want to turn more than 6,500rpm without spinning a rod bearing huh? My Supra didn't have top end power like my Prelude H22 4G did. I got smoked by a Honda in my N/A Supra lol Okay so I guess maybe one day I'll do this.

My other question was what about ECU tuning the 7M-GE, which one is easiest to tune on most dyno shops?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
My other question was what about ECU tuning the 7M-GE, which one is easiest to tune on most dyno shops?
stock TCCS (both NA and turbo) are not tunable.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What about a standalone ECU, or a replacement ECU for the 7M-GE that I can plug everything in from the stock harness & tune via USB or any other means?

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
What about a standalone ECU, or a replacement ECU for the 7M-GE that I can plug everything in from the stock harness & tune via USB or any other means?
standalone will be your only option but it won't serve you much on the NA. the stock tccs already pushes ignition very aggressively and without forced induction, will net you nothing new.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would you happen to know of an N/A setup that should net 240whp? I'm just hoping it's possible. Money is of no concern, well within reason. $20,000 is too much lol

·
Registered
6,546 Posts
Would you happen to know of an N/A setup that should net 240whp? I'm just hoping it's possible. Money is of no concern, well within reason. $20,000 is too much lol
On stock?

Not happening. 20k (including machining, parts etc) is a START.
Going to be honest, i seen exactly one person attempt to do it and to say it was disappointing with the amount of money spent is an understatement. even with ITB (that has been a nightmare and know of only one person to get it going), just not enough RPM to do anything with it. MAYBE destroking the crank to get it to spin higher but now your adding even more cost. No matter how you cut it, it will cost a shit ton of cash.

The issue is that you will have to spin the living hell out of the NA since that is the only way to gain HP short off Nitrous, If you go the nitrous route, then you need the fueling, a controller etc. It will be cheaper initially but more expensive in the long term after recharging the nitrous that it would have been better to go turbo right out of the gates.

Also, that statement of "Money is no concern" is a contradiction.

I have seen more people say that more times than i care to remember and in the end, the project dies because of money. You will be surprised how EASY it is to burn through 20k on these cars and not achieve what you want.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts