Supra Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 95 TT 6 spd.
When I did my plugs, I did a .043 gap as it said in my manual.
My car is all stock and I am hearing a lot of .028
did i gap it correctly?
If need be, I'll pull them all out and redo them
thanks
 

· feeding your habit
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
First off it depends on the plugs you used..... Platinum plugs don't typically stand up well to the gapping process so they come pregapped because you can damage the platinum electrode when you gap it.

For a stock car .043" should be no problem... most people run around .032" for BPU and APU run as low as .026"

PS if you used one of those DISC (keychain, round thing) gappers, pull the plugs and do them with feeler gauges. If your car is stock, you don't have to worry, it's pretty tolerant of just about anything.

Also, you can save some money and run NGK 3330 or the new plug of the month is the 6667 (check on the 666x I'm not certain on that one), they run about 1.75 each locally, are usually stocked, and are copper so they can be gapped without worry.

Keep in mind, you really cannot go wrong if you follow the FSM....

-M
 

· feeding your habit
Joined
·
3,842 Posts
It always amazes me that people think you have to spend big money on the car because it's a Supra. I'm a Supra owner (few of 'em actually) and I've put some time into them.... and you know what, it's still just metal. So if a quality part for $1 can do the job of a $5 part exactly the same, what's the damage?
 

· Fat Guy in a Little Coat
Joined
·
298 Posts
I run a small single now and even when I was BPU I was running NGK 6097 at .028 and everything works fine. The 6097's come gapped at .033 IIRC which should also be fine for a stock supra. I can get a set of 6097's for about 14 bucks.
 

· Track Junkie
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
flight23 said:
Holy crap man, a dollar each for sparkplugs on your $30,000 car? Go get some NGKs for $7 each - you won't even need to gap them.

Why spend $7 when $1 spark plug works?
Unless you run iridium plugs, otherwise I think it's a waste to spend $7 for a plug.
NGK 3300 usually runs about ~$1-$2 each, come pre-gapped at .32 (Napa carries them). When I was in BPU, i ran 6097s (about the same price as 3300) which I believe also come at .32. No problem with them what so ever.
 

· 488ci V10 Power
Joined
·
2,422 Posts
.32 is good for BPU cars, i was running .18 with my single and it was perfect :)
 

· Banned
Joined
·
666 Posts
MugenNeuspeed said:
I have a 95 TT 6 spd.
When I did my plugs, I did a .043 gap as it said in my manual.
My car is all stock and I am hearing a lot of .028
did i gap it correctly?
If need be, I'll pull them all out and redo them
thanks
Generally the gap depends upon how much boost you run. I run around .20 on my single and it works great, no miss at higher RPMs and idle is ok :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,518 Posts
98mkiv said:
It always amazes me that people think you have to spend big money on the car because it's a Supra. I'm a Supra owner (few of 'em actually) and I've put some time into them.... and you know what, it's still just metal. So if a quality part for $1 can do the job of a $5 part exactly the same, what's the damage?

Agreed. Actually the metal in the 6097 $1 plug (copper) is superior for performance purposes (electrical and thermal conductivity) to that of a $7 platinum plug. Now if you want longevity, go for the platinum....and turn down your boost to 11psi and don't drive above 55mph:)
 

· Banned
Joined
·
666 Posts
98mkiv said:
It always amazes me that people think you have to spend big money on the car because it's a Supra. I'm a Supra owner (few of 'em actually) and I've put some time into them.... and you know what, it's still just metal. So if a quality part for $1 can do the job of a $5 part exactly the same, what's the damage?
I have run Iridiums and I really didn't notice much of a difference and I'm going back to regular plugs. If anything, I can afford to replace my plugs 7x more often than using the Denso plugs, and a new plug = better than used.
 

· Stock Twin 6 spd King
Joined
·
1,872 Posts
crossways said:
Agreed. Actually the metal in the 6097 $1 plug (copper) is superior for performance purposes (electrical and thermal conductivity) to that of a $7 platinum plug. Now if you want longevity, go for the platinum....and turn down your boost to 11psi and don't drive above 55mph:)
All good information. From what I read some time ago the platinum plugs also hold more heat (not dissipate) which is good for gas mileage, emissions, etc. While at the same time it is not good for high performance applications. I think when Toyota installed platinum plugs at the factory they were more worried about longevity between ignition related tune-ups, gas mileage, etc.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top