Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the local shop and had the oil changed to what I thought was 5w-30 Mobile 1 synthetic. I rode the car to redline a couple of times today and the T-78 didn't quite come online as quick. I looked on the receipt for the oil change and they put in 10w-30. My question is if 10w-30 slows the spool up so much that it's noticable, would 0w-30 make it spool up faster than usual by a couple of hundred RPMs?

Eric

·
Registered
126 Posts
Outlaw

This might sound crazy and I may get ridiculed for it, but I have noticed that when I had Mobile 1 TS 5w30 it seem to spool faster.
I changed the oil and put 10w30 in it and it seem to not spool as fast. I thought it was just me. I changed it again, back to 5w30 and it felt "normal". A month later, I changed it again an put 10w30 back in it......it seemed to spool just a little bit slower.
It may just be psychological.:) who knows?

Z

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I think it has to do with the friction ifferent oil weight produces...not an expert on it, but 5W30 seem to be thinner than 10W30 (recommanded by Toyota).

another issue to consider:
me and my friend both has 90,000miles+ BPU, I use 10W30 and get white smokes at morning start up and when downshift.
however, my friend use 20W50 (I think thats correct...)
the car dont smoke and still drives fine then when he changed to 10W30 he start to smoke just like me, weird.

Jonas

·
Shawn Davis
1,662 Posts
^ That's not weird. High mileage cars that generate a little smoke are often cleared up by going to a higher weight oil.

·
Boostin...
1,265 Posts
I have always used Mobil One 10W30. This last oil change I put 0W30 in and I can tell it spools up quicker. The car uses about 1/2 quart of 10W30 every 3000 miles. I can tell it will use a little more now that I changed to the 0W30. A little oil consumption is normal. The thiner the oil weight the more will get past valve seals and/or oil rings. Thiner weight oils will not give you less protection. It will give you less resistance at startup and help your turbo to spool a little quicker and your motor to rev a little quicker too, from what I understand.

Bob

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well at least I dont feel like a dumbass anymore:D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll have the oil changed to 0w-30 today and find out if it changes. The T-78 spools fine but anything to help it spool sooner I suppose.

BTW, My Supra is white also. Yours looks damn good in that photo. I think I'll get the skirts painted white also and maybe a front lip to hide the bottom of the intercooler.

Eric

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well 10w-30 is the best oil recommended by toyota I 've using Castrol Syntec and mobil1 for some time. Always stick with whats recommended.

Now For guys with a little smoke.

1) If you always get smoke when you idle it for 4 mins and give a little gas and you see smoke ..... valve seals are gone. Worry about it

2) Keep in mind the car is a turbo... and turbo works off of the exhaust that means temperature varies about 200 degrees. The turbos have oil O rings (seals/gaskits) now these ring contract and expand with the change in temperature which may cause a little smoke..... nothing to worry about.
I also see smoke if the car is sitting for a while .... the oil seeps through the seals of the turbos into the exhaust then it burns.... nothing to worry about.

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I went and got the 0w-30 put in and it feels as though the resistance is definitely down. The boost really hits at around 4600 rpm as oppsosed to 5000 rpm with the 10w-30. It feels lighter on it's feet.

Eric

1 - 11 of 11 Posts