Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, you read the talk on how far you would go to protecting your supra...Tow-trucks are always brought up, so basically, I created a defence for that.. I have the stock alarm, and the new one installed also, a club on it, and the kill switchs.....now apparently tow-trucks are the one thing im definitly scared about. Especially because I do live in canada, and it is a very rare car in my city. Not only that, but i do not have the luck of parking it in a garage...Therefore, me and my friend with welding skills have decided to create a bracket to lock my car to the ground....at first i was going with a pole that would slide through the rim, but changed my preference to a thick 6*6 chain, because it has more play, and i can tighted it by links.

The whole concept is pretty simple. Using steel plating approx, 5" wide, and fairly thick, welding corners on it and welding the thick 6*6 chain onto one side....the corners cannot be too high as I do not want to hurt my rubber if i get to close to them.....once i park the car ontop of the steel plating which is either going to be bolted to my driveway, or steel poles in cement buried into the ground....I will be able to run the chain through the rim, and lock it as tightly as possible with a huge padlock under the car. My car is lowered so this also eliminates the possiblity of even trying to cut the lock, or break it, etc. This will be done to both the back rims at the end of my nightly cruises, and seeing as how the front of the car will be beside the house with 3 cars parked behind it. Hopefully i will eliminate any chance of people even thinking of trying during the day and night.

Maybe I seem way to cautious, or over protective of my car, but after spending the money I did on an 11 year old car, its the least I can do. I will provide pictures of the creating, and installation of the brackets within the next week or 2, weather providing.

Lame drawings below. Didnt really care to spend toooooo much time on them lol. Any opinions, better ideas, or tweaks i could do would be greatly appreciated and respected. Thanks.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
greensoup said:
You could torch that off or remove the wheel.

as opposed to them simply driving off....ill stick to them attemping to cut it off while i walk outside with a bat.

and how exactly will you remove the wheel, it has lock nuts, and since its tightly secured you have no play or give, you cannot raise the car either. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
To4r-Supra said:
as opposed to them simply driving off....ill stick to them attemping to cut it off while i walk outside with a bat.

and how exactly will you remove the wheel, it has lock nuts, and since its tightly secured you have no play or give, you cannot raise the car either. Good luck.

Well actually if you just bang a socket onto it you can just get the locks off pretty easily.

Sounds like a cool idea but I'd be afraid of scratching my wheels

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Josh M said:
Well actually if you just bang a socket onto it you can just get the locks off pretty easily.

true, but you just have to be careful, im just gonna throw a crappy cloth or something between the chain and the rim. Obviously if someone really wants it, they'll find a way. Thats not the point. The point is making them not even want to bother, and me sleeping better at night. If they pull it off after all this, I still have my insurance and at least I gave it my all.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm currently working on a force field, like the ones used in Star Trek, I'll keep you all posted!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
nolessthan150 said:
If i were you i'd just wrap the chain around the axle and call it a day

thats another thing i was considering actually lol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
IntheSearch said:
I'm currently working on a force field, like the ones used in Star Trek, I'll keep you all posted!
really? does it prevent morons like you from driving supra's too? awesome. hook a brotha up. :bigthumb:

G

·
Josh M said:
What about those clear plastic sleeves that you see around chains for bicycle locks? I'm sure if you put one of those around the chain, you wouldn't have to worry about scratching your wheels.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MarksSupra33 said:
What about those clear plastic sleeves that you see around chains for bicycle locks? I'm sure if you put one of those around the chain, you wouldn't have to worry about scratching your wheels.

thats actually a really good idea...lol thanks man.

·
Very Senior Member
10,067 Posts
I wouldn't scratch up even my stock rims with that.
Anchor a chain into the ground and padlock it to your tow hook.
That will slow someone down - but if they want it, there is nothing you can do.

And don't get too paranoid. Keep your insurance up and enjoy life. You can get another car - really!! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
594 Posts
To4r-Supra said:
really? does it prevent morons like you from driving supra's too? awesome. hook a brotha up. :bigthumb:
How would my force field stop me from driving my own car? Geez, and you call me the moron..

Anyhow, didn't know it was so easy to hurt your feelings, suck it up kid ;-)

G

·
I'm pretty sure bolt cutters exist that can slice through that chain in two seconds. Also, if you drink heaviliy and decide to go out to make that next "kill" video and forget about the chain, then what?

·
Registered
922 Posts
To4r-Supra said:

Look you brought it up as a defense against a criminal with a tow truck. You don't have to be nasty with the response.

If they brought a tow truck they can very very easily remove a wheel lock and roll the car out on the rotor. They will not worry about dropping the car on the ground. Or they can cut the chain or torch the chain. If they came with a tow truck they scouted your car ahead of time and came prepared.

Lets get a basic idea of the EASY way. Remove the wheel lock. They can still jack the car because the suspension will extend as you jack the car up. Roll the car back on the jack. Put on a new wheel. Drive away. Maybe a couple minutes start to finish.

But like the other guy said just get a GPS anti-theft tracking on the car.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,118 Posts
Here's a great Idea.... (what I used to use)

I had bags on my supra... and to protect my car from tow trucks/thieves/anyone, I would just lower the car to the pavement, drain the air, then turn off my hidden kill switch to my air compressor.

Try getting under that ;)

(Oh yeah... my bags/compressor/and everything are also for sale in the for sale section if anyone is interested)

Here's a picture of it slammed:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts