Supra Forums banner

41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #42 (Edited)
Thanks again guys!

Just dropped her off today to my detailer for a mid summer freshen up detail job.

Attaching Pic below after I dropped her off earlier....man, this car gets so much attention it’s crazy. I’m glad I didn’t buy a red one haha. She’s getting a good wash, light wax and shine, and interior care until the fall when she’ll get claybar and the whole nine .....

Attachments

·
Boost Creep
3,489 Posts
Love it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Very clean car! Good to see a forum member pick this car up back up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Nice find! Congrats! And ya you will get bored of how slow a stock Supra is and want to single it and then it’s all down hill from there!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Appreciate it.

1) light tint all around, Semi deep dish wheels and fat tires, shave the rear wiper. Enjoy it stock a while.

2) BPU basics... intake, exhaust, boost controller... maybe BPU+ after a year or two.

3) ??? I would really like to do a build and single conversion, but that will be several years down the road (I think hahaha).

Not looking to break records or numbers, just a fast weekend/summer cruiser that I can open up and get scared every time haha.
Congrats on the car it looks like a great find. I was in the same boat as you, I always wanted a Supra back in the 90s but could only afford a mustang 5.0. I just picked up my stock MKIV back in April. I told myself that I was going to leave it all stock, but stock speed wasn't very impressive. So far all I have done is a patch harness with Turbosmart BCC (clamp setting 5.5), megan DP, K&N panel filter, old greddy MBC, and wastegate spring mod and the car now zips around at 17 psi (spikes above 20 psi in 5th gear only). For $600 in mods the car is a whole different beast now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
^^^^ yes, I’m too familiar with previous cars saying I’ll keep them stock and never do hahaha.

First up is tint and picking what wheels/tire setup I want to do. I like the work meister and OZ futura style deep dish wheels a lot.

Then probably wait out the winter months before I play with some bpu mods to make more enjoyable with my drives 🙂

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Car is going for BPU mods this month...

-Large Custom IC with aluminum piping
-Custom intake setup
-Custom turbo back downpipe all the way back to HKS carbon Ti
-Built in Manual boost controller, gauge, and Wideband, we have 93/94 here so thinking to run ~18 pounds, maybe 20 if fuel system is healthy enough, which it sounds like it is.
-Wastegate spring mod

Car goes under the knife week of Oct 22nd.... and can’t wait to see the transformation.

Next up, WorkMeister deep dish wheels with some 295s/305s

·
Registered
42 Posts

-Custom intake setup
-Built in Manual boost controller, gauge, and Wideband, we have 93/94 here so thinking to run ~18 pounds, maybe 20 if fuel system is healthy enough, which it sounds like it is.
-Wastegate spring mod
First off, congrats on the buy! A stock, low mileage Supra is a rare gem to find.

I got my 97 TT 6 speed completely stock about 2ish years ago. Did the Wastegate spring mod from auto parts (like $6 I think). Got a Megan downpipe to bolt right in to the original exhaust to keep everything OEM in case it was to ever be put back on. Kept the original muffler on. No boost controller or BCC yet as it's holding itself around 12-15 PSI on its own.
Now 2ish years later, (today) I'm having a buddy of mine custom make a pipe with flanges that will bolt right on to where the stock muffler comes off from the OEM midpipe that splits in 2. Basically I'll be running a straight pipe, from turbos to Megan downpipe to stock split mid pipe to custom "Y" tail pipe. The sound is going to be one of a kind!

As for you running 18 PSI on stock twins, I'd suggest against it as they wont last long. Especially at 20 PSI.. Stock twins can usually daily 16 maybe 17 at most. But 18+ is danger zone. Not saying it's impossible, as I've heard of a few people running 20 PSI on them. But those same people said they blew super quick.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #52

-Custom intake setup
-Wastegate spring mod

As for you running 18 PSI on stock twins, I'd suggest against it as they wont last long. Especially at 20 PSI.. Stock twins can usually daily 16 maybe 17 at most. But 18+ is danger zone. Not saying it's impossible, as I've heard of a few people running 20 PSI on them. But those same people said they blew super quick.
Interesting that you say this because I too was hesitant about running too much boost on this car. But having talk to a few tuners, it sounds like 18psi if the fuel system is healthy and a higher octane fuel is used (93+ here), it shouldn’t be an issue.

The shop doing the work for my car specializes in these motors/cars for years and is considered one of the best and most reputable in the country. They thought that 17-18 with spikes to 20 will be fine on stock us spec turbos. Also, I don’t daily my car and cruise much more around town (with occasion sprints WOT).

Maybe I’ll being this topic up again to them. I was thinking to do 15-16 before I went to the shop and discussed the work I wanted done and they said 18 should be fine.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Looks great, Congrats!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
Update: car is now custom BPU; custom intake, manual boost controller, BCC, custom made front mount with all custom aluminum piping, custom downpipe and midpipe back to a HKS carbon TI. Running ~17lbs Of boost.. Very, very happy with power and driveability. Car runs like a champ and pulls like freight train.

Up next: ordered the 18” WORK Meister S1 3piece wheels, going staggered tires with 265 up front and 315 rears. Scheduled to arrive in March.

Attachments

·
Master Shit Fixer
3,110 Posts
Up next: ordered the 18” WORK Meister S1 3piece wheels, going staggered tires with 265 up front and 315 rears. Scheduled to arrive in March.
Thick 5-spoke wheels like that look great on a Baltic Supra. I have the SSR SP1s which are very similar.

·
Boost Junkie
12,359 Posts
Awesome. Those will look great. Glad you are building the car to your liking and taking care of it. Post up some new pics!

Steve

41 - 60 of 86 Posts
About this Discussion
85 Replies
43 Participants
Evolutionist
Supra Forums
Supra Forums is the largest online Toyota Supra MKI, MKII, MKIII, MKIV and MKV owner's club community. Discuss DIY, modifications, and upgrades.
Full Forum Listing