Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Big Things Happening Soon
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any comparson between the two turbos. Graphs, Dyno Pulls ect... Personal experience from one and the other. If you do so please post b/c I between sending my 76 out to get fixed or replace it with the new billet wheel set up.

Thanx SF

·
Premier Tuner
404 Posts
Not worth it IMHO. You will prob not see any gains worth noting.
How much actual real world testing did you do to make that statement???

I have compared several cast vs. billet not the 76 specifically, but the 62, 67, 71, 88's.

The billet turbo's spool up approximately 400-800 RPM's faster, and make more power. The difference between the PT67Dbb and the Billet 67 journal bearing is simply ridiculous, especially when the boost is cranked up on race gas (the billet journal bearing spooled faster than the cast Dbb, same A/R ratios on the same motor only turbo swapped).

·
Brake boosting
512 Posts
Billet turbos are insane. the machining on the wheels is far superior to the cast process, and it puts more surface area on the each blade.. just look at Forced performances HTA series turbos. noticable gains on every turbo compared to the cast counterpart

·
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys does anyone have a 76gts billet on here? how are the numbers. I was told by a friend of mine thats a precision dealer that the billet turbo makes over a 1000rwhp on a 2jz motor. I can beleive it b/c we were close on my cast one. Thanks for the imput and help.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Ive heard conflicting stories on the billets. Its a big thing on the Eclipse/DSM boards. Some guys say that its not even worth it and notice no gains and no spoolup difference and they just wasted their $$.

I think its also too early to tell on the supra. I dont think anyone has any real data showing the billet 67 vs a cast 67 yet either. I want to see the dyno difference before i choose mine and consider the billet route. I mean I can understand the weight savings, but if it was on the exhaust side i could see it making a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Does anyone have any comparson between the two turbos. Graphs, Dyno Pulls ect... Personal experience from one and the other. If you do so please post b/c I between sending my 76 out to get fixed or replace it with the new billet wheel set up.

Thanx SF

I have tested them back to back. Spool is pretty much identical. Maybe 50-100 RPM better with the billet. The HP was identical until we got over 25 psi and then the billet started pulling away. You will see 75 more HP if you run it at max boost. If your turbo needs to be rebuilt, then do it. If your turbo is fine and dont typically run it higher than 25 psi.... then it's your call.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Great read, the cast wheel flows more at higher boost in the overlay if i am not mistaken.
I guess when doing testing and posting results, if the optimal point on the compressor map is used when the billet outperforms the cast then of course you will see gains. Maybe thats what is why people are being told to use the billet up to a certain psi.
Great read again.

·
1100+rwhp member
1,728 Posts
Man but the evo guys are boosting the hell out of the billet 6262's

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
I think its also too early to tell on the supra. I dont think anyone has any real data showing the billet 67 vs a cast 67 yet either. I want to see the dyno difference before i choose mine and consider the billet route. I mean I can understand the weight savings, but if it was on the exhaust side i could see it making a noticeable difference.
I have back to back testing data... at 27 psi the billet 67 made 60rwhp more with similar spool resulting in 730rwhp. We will be dynoing again at higher boost and I will post a thread with the data. Not only are the new billet wheels much lighter but also they utilize different designs which are optimized for our usage.

I have a couple of billet 76s for customers so looking forward to the data soon. Based on prior experiences I definitely see more power.

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Here is a good read, but i am sure they don't know what they are talking about :lol:

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/news/race_updates/Garrett_Fully_Machined.html
Tony,
That article states "To test this, our engineers ran identically-designed compressor wheels on our gas stands. " The new PTE billet wheels feature different designs which seem to optimize performance in our empirical data. It should be noted that the new PTE lineup have little association with Garrett components and I think the results speak for themselves. I am looking forward to doing more testing and letting the community know what we find. As always, innovation is on the horizon and as components become more efficient we will all have better and better performing cars.

Still waiting to see your new ETs with the goodies:) hope all is well

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
I have tested them back to back. Spool is pretty much identical. Maybe 50-100 RPM better with the billet. The HP was identical until we got over 25 psi and then the billet started pulling away. You will see 75 more HP if you run it at max boost. If your turbo needs to be rebuilt, then do it. If your turbo is fine and dont typically run it higher than 25 psi.... then it's your call.
I know how Alfred runs his car... call me Al and we'll get a billet wheel on the black beast!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
so comparing apples to apples there was no difference.
Comparing apples to oranges there are differences.
Are those 67 billet dynos on here? Im sooo close to deciding.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Are there any billet 72mm wheels?

·
Premier Tuner
404 Posts
Tony,
That article states "To test this, our engineers ran identically-designed compressor wheels on our gas stands. " The new PTE billet wheels feature different designs which seem to optimize performance in our empirical data. It should be noted that the new PTE lineup have little association with Garrett components and I think the results speak for themselves. I am looking forward to doing more testing and letting the community know what we find. As always, innovation is on the horizon and as components become more efficient we will all have better and better performing cars.

Well said Zohair!

·
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know how Alfred runs his car... call me Al and we'll get a billet wheel on the black beast!
Zo I called you but no answer I guess is that you guys are at the event. Good luck and kick ass. Call me back when you can. I left my phone number on your office Vmail.

·
Super Moderator
4,429 Posts
Tony,

Well if PT is changing the wheels etc. Then that obviously changes everything and look forward to hear some results when you have them. It just seems that same exact wheel in cast vs billet, the gains are minimal and it was more for a point to be cost effective.

New Et's should hopefully come sooner then later with all the new goodies hahaha. Just been dealing with some personal stuff last 6-9 months so havent put much time in the car or worried about it. Just sitting there ready to go. I will keep ya posted.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts