Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how much difference spool, rwhp, and torque will be?

What is the difference between the two trims?

From what I can gather the GTQ trim makes about 50 more hp and torque.

I am just wondering how close the spool characteristics are. I have seen very few good comparisons on dyno graphs. I was hoping someone could shed some light on the situation.

This is my last deciding factor before I order my single kit. I am leaning towards the P-trim because of quicker spool, and the max power exceeds my hp goal. 600rwhp is my goal with methanol. If I got more that would be fine, but I am not sure I will need the GTQ.

I also heard that I would need Cams to take full use of the GTQ, can anyone confirm that?

Thanks in advance.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AZMongoose: Do you have any idea what the spool difference between a Ptrim and Qtrim both with .68ar's??

Like 3400rpm or 3900rpm... I am just trying to get the perfect setup.

Thanks,

Kevin
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I know this sounds completely trivial, but does the P trim sound different then the GTQ?? I heard the GTQ makes a high pitched whistle sound. Is that really true? If so, I would rather have that, since I am having my wastegate plumbed back into the exhaust, I will be able to hear it all.

Thanks and sorry for the lame question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
I have a GTQ with a .68 hot side that I'm running with a 4000 stall. Untuned, without the methanol helping spool, the boost comes on quick enough. Unless you would rather go with a lower stall I would say go with the GTQ.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
VeilsideTT said:
I have a GTQ with a .68 hot side that I'm running with a 4000 stall. Untuned, without the methanol helping spool, the boost comes on quick enough. Unless you would rather go with a lower stall I would say go with the GTQ.
I just had my 3500 stall restalled and now it is a 4k stall. When you say quick enough give me an idea. Are we talking that is comes up quick and the tires just go up in smoke? Or are we talking lag like stock stall creates.

Thanks for the advice... I am very back and forth on this topic.
 

·
Supra OG
Joined
·
1,002 Posts
IME, the 67p spools about 250RPMs faster than the 67gtq. I've had both (with the .68AR exhaust housing on both). I have the 67gtq now.

The GTQ will occasionally make a cool whirring sound from the exhaust yes.. but the whistling sound you're describing, that's probably from the optional anti-surge ported shroud compressor housing rather than the turbine wheel selection. I don't have that as it wasn't available when I got this turbo, but the 67's compressor wheel is so flexible I'm surprised anybody thought there was a need for an anti-surge cover -- mine's never surged even at part throttle.

The 67p is the better turbo for your application given the rwhp goals you stated.

Andi
 

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
Joined
·
3,333 Posts
Andi said:
the 67's compressor wheel is so flexible I'm surprised anybody thought there was a need for an anti-surge cover -- mine's never surged even at part throttle.
B]


Its supposed to increase low end and mid range power......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,432 Posts
racing fan said:
Its supposed to increase low end and mid range power......
Yes, BUT at the expense of lower top end power. Could you not achieve a similar goal by simply using a P trim instead of a GTQ trim + anti surge shroud? That's roughly a $700+ price difference. I would like to see a P trim and a GTQ Trim + anti surge on the SAME car, SAME dyno, and SAME day to compare maps and justify the cost difference.

Is the 67mm the smallest compressor wheel that offers the "anti-surge ring"?

I can't help but think of that "Bubba Rub" guy who installed a similar looking piece of metal in his exhaust for the whistle. Possibly more low and midrange power with the increased backpressure too! Maybe he works for Garrett's engineering team.

John H
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Andi said:
IME, the 67p spools about 250RPMs faster than the 67gtq. I've had both (with the .68AR exhaust housing on both). I have the 67gtq now.

The GTQ will occasionally make a cool whirring sound from the exhaust yes.. but the whistling sound you're describing, that's probably from the optional anti-surge ported shroud compressor housing rather than the turbine wheel selection. I don't have that as it wasn't available when I got this turbo, but the 67's compressor wheel is so flexible I'm surprised anybody thought there was a need for an anti-surge cover -- mine's never surged even at part throttle.

The 67p is the better turbo for your application given the rwhp goals you stated.

Andi
Andi,

At what exact rpms, lets say, in 2nd gear does the p-trim spool versus the GTQ? That would be good to know as well, for comparison I mean :)

What's the difference between the BL67/SP67 turbo and your Boostaholic turbo btw?

Thanks!
 

·
Senior Spooler
Joined
·
1,206 Posts
The difference is 250 bucks. At least from one company.
Could maybe one set-up cause surge and one might not, even though the same turbo is used?
Could this be why they decided to add the anti-surge housing as a precaution.....
yes/no...
 

·
Never enough
Joined
·
1,418 Posts
vntperformance said:
Hell, i wanna know too, maybe i would then upgrade to a Q. Just "MAYBE"!

vnt ;)
Heck, if you're gonna do that, might as well go up a little bit in size as well ;)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,062 Posts
Slowpoke said:
Is your 402 time in your sig with a 67 p-trim?! Damn!
i'm not understanding what you mean by "402"?
but my whole setup is based on the 67P, rwhp wise and 1320 time wise.

i've proved alot of people wrong with this puney turbo.
vnt ;)
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
vntperformance said:
i'm not understanding what you mean by "402"?
but my whole setup is based on the 67P, rwhp wise and 1320 time wise.

i've proved alot of people wrong with this puney turbo.
vnt ;)
402 meters is the 1/4 mile in plain metric system as we use here in Sweden, sorry for not pointing that out in my earlier post :)

I'm impressed by your numbers and times, good work!

How does the 67 p-trim spool and when do you reach full boost in 1st and 2nd gear with that thing?

Thanks!
 

·
Lets go Nets
Joined
·
2,956 Posts
John H said:

I can't help but think of that "Bubba Rub" guy who installed a similar looking piece of metal in his exhaust for the whistle. Possibly more low and midrange power with the increased backpressure too! Maybe he works for Garrett's engineering team.

John H
Bubb Rubb, lol!! hes too funny.

GTQ seems like better technology, i would go GTQ if you can't get a GTP wheel heh.

Brett
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
neonafk said:
Bubb Rubb, lol!! hes too funny.

GTQ seems like better technology, i would go GTQ if you can't get a GTP wheel heh.

Brett
Can someone explain the differences in technology being used here?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,421 Posts
Baltic, I'm talking it feels like less lag than my 3500 stall stock sequential turbo setup. Very similar though.

Andi does make a good point though. Why get the Q if you don't want that much power? Of course you don't want that much power RIGHT NOW, you don't know how you will feel later. :D
 
G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I definitely want the best spool possible, but if I plan on adding cams later, the GTQ would be ideal, especially if I get the bug for more power, just like Veilside said.

I guess I will just buy one model...and then buy the other turbo so I can do some testing on the dyno and do my own conclusion and write up for the board.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Top