Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just about to finish off the turbo setup, my question is as the turbo is oil and water fed, do I need to put a inline filter for both the oil and water to the turbo or is it just the oil feed that gets filtered?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Your engine oil filter is the filter. And those turbos don't use water. At least the ball-bearing versions don't.

They do make in-line filters that you can put in the oil line. But if that thing gets clogged at all, you can starve the oil supply to the turbo.

Al

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your engine oil filter is the filter. And those turbos don't use water. At least the ball-bearing versions don't.

They do make in-line filters that you can put in the oil line. But if that thing gets clogged at all, you can starve the oil supply to the turbo.

Al
Mine is a pt6766 dbb with billet wheel, was told it is water and oil fed mate.

So do you recommend no feed filters to the turbo then?

·
Old School
4,115 Posts
Mine is a pt6766 dbb with billet wheel, was told it is water and oil fed mate.

So do you recommend no feed filters to the turbo then?
You can look at the turbo and figure this out. Oil feed and return are top & bottom of the CHRA, the water feeds would be on the right and left sides. No need to speculate.

Reactions: The Motomachi Supra

·
From the land down under
4,568 Posts
If you do decide to use an inline pre turbo oil filter, you need to be sure that it doesnt cause too much pressure drop across the filter to starve your turbo of oil.

Do PTE list minimum oil pressure required for their DBB CHRA's?

·
Super Moderator
10,736 Posts
If your turbo is a PTE 6766h DBB CEA turbo like mine, it is oil cooled only. Now, mine was purchased in April 2011, so things could have changed since then, but your turbo is probably oil cooled like mine.

Ken.

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If your turbo is a PTE 6766h DBB CEA turbo like mine, it is oil cooled only. Now, mine was purchased in April 2011, so things could have changed since then, but your turbo is probably oil cooled like mine.

Ken.
Hi Ken sent you a pm, any pics of your turbo? See if it’s like mine! My one is also a older version 6766h as far as I know

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here’s pictures of the inlets and outlets. Was sold to me as a PT6766 bb.

I had it rebuilt with all new parts and a billet wheel for spool times.

When the company rebuilt it they said water and oil cooled.

So I’m trying my best to find a oil/water kit to suit it, maybe with restrictor in-line and or filter etc.

If anyone can help there that would be awesome

·
Old School
4,115 Posts
That's water & oil cooled. The brass nipple on the compressor housing is for your boost controller.

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
That's water & oil cooled. The brass nipple on the compressor housing is for your boost controller.
Sweet thanks for that mate. Don’t know where I can get a feed/return kit for it?

I’m running Syvecs ecu, I though the nipple was for the wastegates but do I plum into the boost with that then?

Also just been told the core is not pte wether that’s true I don’t know. He said it looks like a gtx4088r core/housing

·
Old School
4,115 Posts
I agree with the person who said that's not a PTE core. You could buy the oil feed and return from any of the forum vendors, MVP, PHR etc. I think you'll need to have the water lines fabricated.

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I agree with the person who said that's not a PTE core. You could buy the oil feed and return from any of the forum vendors, MVP, PHR etc. I think you'll need to have the water lines fabricated.
Yeah that’s very strange not sure why or how that happened. Assume that doesn’t affect power output though!? Hope not anyway

Luckily I think the core is a gtx4088r so I’m going to order lines for that and see how I go.

What a nightmare.

Hopefully worth it in the end.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah I purchased a pte6766 DBB billet wheel and it’s only oil cooled. No restrictor needed as instructions specified it comes built in.

I didn’t run a filer either. Totally forgot but also more chance for failing point. I think at least.

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
You can run that turbo without using the water cooling. Back in my DSM days, Forced Performance recommended to not use the water. They found no difference in wear when rebuilding a turbo that was just oil cooled VS one that was both oil and water cooled.

But if you did use the water, no inline filter is needed since the water doesn't touch the bearings, only the oil does.

Al

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
OP, it sounds like this might be your first time doing this sort of thing. If not, forgive my assumption here. Make sure you orient the oil feed / drain correctly. You don't want to be too far off from vertical in this regard.

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OP, it sounds like this might be your first time doing this sort of thing. If not, forgive my assumption here. Make sure you orient the oil feed / drain correctly. You don't want to be too far off from vertical in this regard.
Indeed this is my first built single engine build mate.

Have you got a pic of orientation correctly done?

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You can run that turbo without using the water cooling. Back in my DSM days, Forced Performance recommended to not use the water. They found no difference in wear when rebuilding a turbo that was just oil cooled VS one that was both oil and water cooled.

But if you did use the water, no inline filter is needed since the water doesn't touch the bearings, only the oil does.

Al
Yeah I think I’m just going to run water and oil lines to be safe anyway. No harm will be done using both I guess. Only filter will be in the oil feed and using a 1mm restrictor

·
Registered
Fully Built 1995 TT6
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah I purchased a pte6766 DBB billet wheel and it’s only oil cooled. No restrictor needed as instructions specified it comes built in.

I didn’t run a filer either. Totally forgot but also more chance for failing point. I think at least.
Yeah this is a really old one mate. I had it fully rebuilt with billet wheel etc for spoiling time.
Probably will be using a filter in the feed which will be changed every service anyway.
Regarding the restrictor. I’m not sure mine has one built in to be fair. How can I tell dude?

·
Registered
4,693 Posts
Yeah I think I’m just going to run water and oil lines to be safe anyway. No harm will be done using both I guess. Only filter will be in the oil feed and using a 1mm restrictor
I would check with who sold you the turbo. On my Precision, it came with a restrictor already installed on the turbo, and I believe it was 3 or 4mm. Post up a pic of where the oil feed connects, if there is a fitting that funnels down to a small hole, that is the restrictor.

I would NOT run a filter - if that thing clogs, you will starve the turbo of oil. Forced Performance is the only place I know of that sells the filters, if you must.

I also would not run the water. It is tough enough to fit everything on the turbo, plus two water lines. You would have to make custom lines. Ideally, you would want banjo bolts. Threaded connections will leak unless a heavy layer of teflon tape is added.

Al

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
In the picture below, you will see my engine bay shortly after it was put together initially. If you'll notice, the turbo's center section is clocked in such a way that the oil feed / drain ports are about 40° from vertical By vertical, I mean your oil feed would be the highest point on the turbo's center section. If you have it this far off vertical, the oil pools at the bottom of the turbo, because it is gravity drained.

This causes a LOT of smoke, enough that it might make you think your car is on fire. Not very fun when you've invested a stupid amount of money into a car, for it to look like it's on fire whenever you roll to a stop...

Now, depending on your manifold design, you might be in for a good time, trying to get the oil feed close to vertical. Personally, I wouldn't go more than 20° from vertical, if at all possible. Get creative, but also realize that you need to deal with extreme heat in that region. Careful hose routing (try to keep the drain hose as vertical as possible too, because, again, gravity is all you get to drain the oil out of the turbo) will keep MOT folks happy, hopefully. More hopefully, you won't run the risk of burning through an oil drain hose and err... having a source of hot oil exposed to a super hot manifold, which... I shouldn't need to elaborate, but that's a bad situation. ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts