Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THe question is how much more rpm's will my car be more laggy. Sorry, there is no search button for me to use.

If I only change the turbo, that is it. I'm looking if it's worth changing the housing.

I have a fully built 3.0 with Crower, Je, Gapless piston rings, Cleavite bearings. A Ferea fully equiped head, 272's with 1mm oversized valves.

My turbo setup is a a PTE76GTS, VW T4 manifold, 4"DP/MP, Greddy 3ROW, Tial 44 WG, and Tial BOV.

It seems I can't boost past 32psi reliably on the current setup. I have a 1 bar srping on the WG controlled by a HKS EZ II boost controller.

I was thinking about bumping the WG spring but I was also thinking that there might be too much backpressure and that's why I am considering going with a 1.01 AR housing on the turbo.

If I just change the housing only and keep everything else identically the same and the tune, how much more lag (in rpms) might I expect?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
How much power are you putting down at 30-32psi? Is the head ported?

THe question is how much more rpm's will my car be more laggy. Sorry, there is no search button for me to use.

If I only change the turbo, that is it. I'm looking if it's worth changing the housing.

I have a fully built 3.0 with Crower, Je, Gapless piston rings, Cleavite bearings. A Ferea fully equiped head, 272's with 1mm oversized valves.

My turbo setup is a a PTE76GTS, VW T4 manifold, 4"DP/MP, Greddy 3ROW, Tial 44 WG, and Tial BOV.

It seems I can't boost past 32psi reliably on the current setup. I have a 1 bar srping on the WG controlled by a HKS EZ II boost controller.

I was thinking about bumping the WG spring but I was also thinking that there might be too much backpressure and that's why I am considering going with a 1.01 AR housing on the turbo.

If I just change the housing only and keep everything else identically the same and the tune, how much more lag (in rpms) might I expect?

·
Super Moderator
4,432 Posts
Not enough lag to even notice. So give it a shot. But your not being able to boost over 32 psi is your wg spring. You need a 18lb spring in the or close to it to get over 32 psi and hold it. But i have heard a few people say the VWR manifold builds alot of backpressure for whatever reason....so not sure there. I would try the other 2 first.

·
Motec - Race Smart
1,086 Posts
My 76GTS with the .81 a/r housing will hold 32 psi solid up to about 8800 rpm. The wastegate is a tial 44 with a 1.1bar(16psi) spring combo in it. Try putting a stiffer wastegate spring in and also check for boost leaks. You should be able to hold over 30psi no problem with that turbo.

-Darin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts