Supra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
Pull the tranny by itself, it will take you about 3 hours if your handy with tools. Get it real high up in the air on jack stands and get busy.

Khris

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
Go to Sears and buy yourself 2 very long extensions and a swivel head adapter. Feed the extentions and the swivel head along the side of the tranny coming from the back end an carefully attach and remove the bolts. It is a little tricky/frustrating but with the help of someone else it is more than possible. Good luck!!

Khris

·
"DANNY TANNER!!!"
1,847 Posts
can you not get them from inside the engine bay???

Anyways just a word of advice. Get your flywheel machined!!! DO NO grease up the spline shaft too much!! also get the car as high as you can get it. My friend and i learned the hard way. 3 times!!!

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
Remove your charcoal canister and you can get to the exhaust side top bolt from up top very easily. The other one is a PITA. If you've removed EGR you can probably just barely get to it from up top, otherwise you'll need about 3' of extensions and a couple of wobblers.

E

·
0 Posts
how are you guys getting the tranny away from the motor once all the bolts are off and the clutch fork is undone? I can get it almost all the way off but then it hits the underside of the car...

E

·
0 Posts
cool thanks. I will try that tomorrow. Do you leave the motor mounts bolted up?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
man i'm so glad i have a lift. had my tranny dropped in 1hr, now puttting in back up in there was another story..

also once oyu drop the tranny mount the tranny will tilt down a bit and it's very easy to get the top bolts.. oyu just need a long-ass extension.

here's a tip... remember to remove the shifter before you drop the tranny, how do i know this:scratch:

mark your driveshaft with whiteout, so it will be balanced when you put it back togther.

also remember to remove the clutch fork or the tranny won't come off the block.

·
Your Neighborhood Pikey
3,341 Posts
Good tips on the tranny removal... On the driveshaft, the splines on the input shaft have one larger spline that serves as a key-way. The driveshaft will only go into the tranny one way so it's balanced... Check it out sometime.

- Hams.

·
Republican
8,421 Posts
WHEW!!!!!!1 i was all worried, cause i just took off my driveshaft, from the trans, i was worried it wouldent be ballenced!

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
Hahahahaha... For those of you who were around way back, you may remember the thread on how CT boys get down... When i crashed my first supra i was making a deal with a friend. The deal called for my tranny, so we started the project early in the morning one morning with the car on jackstands... We could not loosten the transmission because the bolts were way too tight. So we thought and thought and decided to improvise... Obviously we didnt have a lift in my driveway, BUT, we had the next best things...

- Dean's pimp van
- Rope
- Wooden 2x4's
- A bunch of tires
- Some big wooden round things that looks like something gets wrapped around it

We took the rope and attached one end to the crashed supra, and the other end to the pimpvan. We put the tires on the other side of the car so that it would be on the tires for safety. While the pimpvan pulled, there were a good 4 of 5 of us pushing the car up with our arms, and then 2 other people were pushing with the 2x4's. When the car got high enough, we pushed the wooden round things under so the car rested on them. I have pics on another computer that should be dug up, or even better yet, i wonder if that thread is still around...

Edit - Yeah it is!!

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=45767&highlight=chick

M

·
0 Posts
Pulling it out is one thing, but how do you get it back in on jack stands? I know you can loosen the engine mounts to make the engine flex so it drops.. when the tranny is out, how do you re-allign it to make it fit to the crank?

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
87_7MGTE said:
thx osofast7m, but one more question, how do u get to those top bolts on the bellhousing? is there a special trick and do u get em from above or below?
osofast7m said:
Go to Sears and buy yourself 2 very long extensions and a swivel head adapter. Feed the extentions and the swivel head along the side of the tranny coming from the back end an carefully attach and remove the bolts. It is a little tricky/frustrating but with the help of someone else it is more than possible. Good luck!!

Khris
Bishop92T said:
Remove your charcoal canister and you can get to the exhaust side top bolt from up top very easily. The other one is a PITA. If you've removed EGR you can probably just barely get to it from up top, otherwise you'll need about 3' of extensions and a couple of wobblers.
:lol::lol: all you really need to get those two bolts.....are NINJA HANDS :D .....same thing you need to do a knock sensor rewire without removing anything whasoever in the engine bay! :D

NINJA HANDS are your best tool in the fight against the cramped supra ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts