Supra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took the head off my supra, only to find I now need to pull the block as well.
Do I have to reinstall the head to get the engine/tranny out now? or is there some way around that.
if I need reinstall the head, can I skimp out on the number of bolts I use or should I put in all of them.

·
Premium Member
6,130 Posts
Yawgmoth said:
I took the head off my supra, only to find I now need to pull the block as well.
Do I have to reinstall the head to get the engine/tranny out now? or is there some way around that.
if I need reinstall the head, can I skimp out on the number of bolts I use or should I put in all of them.
Just put the head bolt through the chain link and screw the headbolt back into the block and your good to pull, aight peace

meaning you just need the headbolts and no head, understand what I am saying?

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah good idea. Thats what I mean, sorta. I figured I had to put the head back on to use the...um...engine hoist mount things on the head.
but using a bolt would probably work, hopefully

·
Registered
948 Posts
yeah, as a matter of fact my load leveler has holes for that, if you cant do that wrap a few chains with links connecting them aound the block (be safe and smart with this)

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Worked for me...

When I pulled the engine 6 months ago... I just used a few of the OEM headbolts in opposite corners of the block. The auto was later pulled (dropped) when I decided to go for a 5 spd. conversion.

I just picked up some chain from Home Depot... the ring for the cherry picker was a 2,000 lb capacity and the chain was 850+ lb of dead weight. On this chain,I verified the size I needed not only my the weight of the block... but also the size of the bolts (the links had to be small enough so the head bolt wouldn't pull through).

HTH,
Patrick

During install... the engine AND tranny will be done together.

·
Dr Wheelspin Rh.D.
4,393 Posts
I prefer pulling the head off first and then the block and tranny out as one. Just make sure you get quite a few threads of the head bolt into the block, use old headbolts that aren't going back in the car, and put the bolts on opposite corners.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts