Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I actually dont plan on getting a car any time soon, but in the interests of a fun post...

Civic Si Sedan
around 22k (20.5k by the time i'm looking at prices drop a little)
pretty much the same as the Si thats out now + 86 lbs or so
Fun, a bit raw, and plenty of power for my tastes (Autocross!).

Volkwagen GTI
24kish (22k if I bargain down)
As much fun as you can get with a fat girl ;)
Classier than the others

Mini Cooper S
Raw fun. Period. Should be revised for 2007, by the time I plan on looking at cars.
Probably around 24k and I'd like it

Mazdaspeed 3
Again 24k (see a pattern?)
250ish hp/280ish ft-lbs tq
making an already fun car (mazda3) even more fun just sounds like a good idea

RX-8
25k (with lots of negotiation)
Closest to a sports car out of the bunch
Rotary problems? (I'm in the upper midwest, I hear they dont like cold)

----
Basically I'm looking at sporty cars with the ability to hold 3 passengers at least for a short time (barely lets the mini in ;))

Daily driver with autocross on the weekends.

25k price celing

Have at it guys.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MadMaxx said:
Scion tC.
Not really in the same performance envelope as the other cars I think, even supercharged.

That'd definitely be up there in an under 20k shootout though

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
Id say supercharged it should beat all the cars other than the RX8 and Mazdaspeed3. Half the cars listed are in the 7.2-7.8 second range IIRC including a tC. ;) GTI is a bit faster than that right?

I think tC would be my choice just because i dont care for any of the ones you have listed. :D RX8 becomes prob more expensive than a BPU Supra as gas mileage is crap on those and yes I have heard problems still with their cold starting.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alx2785 said:
Id say supercharged it should beat all the cars other than the RX8 and Mazdaspeed3. Half the cars listed are in the 7.2-7.8 second range IIRC including a tC. ;) GTI is a bit faster than that right?

I think tC would be my choice just because i dont care for any of the ones you have listed. :D RX8 becomes prob more expensive than a BPU Supra as gas mileage is crap on those and yes I have heard problems still with their cold starting.
Just one thing, seems like the Si is matching supercharged tCs. Something to keep in mind. And the Si is mid pack as far as how fast these cars are.

Si and GTI are around 6.7-7 seconds, mazdaspeed is projected to be around 6 flat, the cooper and rx-8 are yes ;).

Lot of tC fans here eh? :)

In reponse to the other poster, all cars are 6-spd manual for the sake of this comparo.

·
Dreamer
1,628 Posts
I would never touch another rotary in my lifetime... haha. They are fun when running, but when things start to go wrong, you will want to burn that thing down to the ground. I hear RX-8's are having some problems as well.

Anyway, out of the list, I would choose MS3.

·
Banned
381 Posts
Mazda Speed 3 or Civic SI....

I wouldnt purchase the RX-8 or the GTI just because of the reliability issues and I wouldnt be caught dead in a mini cooper.

The TC is slow as dog shit from the factory and just isnt in the same class as the other vehicles..

·
iSketch Master!
9,045 Posts
:barf: Now the interior on those cars are awesome, but I cant just get past how ugly they are. And heavy as hell! I do agree the tC's are pretty slow, but they aren't too much slower than their competition. The corolla S beats them :lol:

Alex

·
Who's the Master?!
4,073 Posts
GTI or Mini Cooper. The Mini handles like it's on rails, great for autocrossing and canyon carving.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dresden, just keep in mind that snow tires make pretty much any car fine in the snow.

Rookie84: Rotaries that bad huh?

GPTourer: Kind of more of a GT car in comparison to the rest, cept the GTI dont you think? Its a great tourer from what I hear, but I also hear its quite a pig of a vehicle in handling.

·
Wobbiest: Three Laws Safe
6,137 Posts
mini - FTeasyW

·
Sudafed can't kill me.
980 Posts
sophmeat said:
Dresden, just keep in mind that snow tires make pretty much any car fine in the snow.
:rolleyes: Yep.

WRX, MS3, SRT4. Those other cars are either dogs, or plain ugly.

·
Classic Cars = Secks
490 Posts
sophmeat said:
No. Sane driving does. I live in the mutha' fuckin' mountains, and when it snows, all the goddamn tourists think they're invincible with snow tires on their cars. :eek4dance:

Just stay off the gas, don't use your breaks often as usual (especially when you turn), flat out don't drive like a jackass and you'll be fine in any car.

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
sophmeat said:
GPTourer: Kind of more of a GT car in comparison to the rest, cept the GTI dont you think? Its a great tourer from what I hear, but I also hear its quite a pig of a vehicle in handling.
I just thought I'd give you another option. Bump what you heard. Go drive it and find out for yourself. Or don't.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
GPTourer said:
I just thought I'd give you another option. Bump what you heard. Go drive it and find out for yourself. Or don't.
Hey, I didnt meant to be all down on ya about it. Do you really think handling-wise it can keep up with at least the GTI? I'll give it a shot if you really think so ^_^

Looking at pricing for the car, you're right about it being quite competitive in that price range.

Huh...

·
GM Interior Designer
658 Posts
My first guess would be no, that it does not carve corners or would be as good an autocrosser as the other cars you listed. However, I do think it has the most power of all of those cars (except the Mazda3 which isn't out yet) and that it is a decent handling car. Plus it has great looks inside and out. Whether are not that trade off is acceptable to you, I don't know. Road Race Engineering has done a good job extracting more power out of it, and making it into a capable handler.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Not sure which Eclipse GT you are talking about, but I owned a 2000 GT & hit was a pretty damned nice car and you can get them for about nothing nowadays. I auto-x'd it a few times, and it understeered like a mo-fo.

Eclipse GT
Great Engine, Decent Mods, average handling - I would guess if you updated the suspension and did basic bolt ons it would be a fun daily drive and autox vehicle. I also had ZERO problems withe the car (I had it for 50k miles)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts