Supra Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is a question that kept floating in my mind for a while and its time to find an answer :p : Which is better in terms of radiator cooling, push fans or pull fans?? I have 2 pull type slim fans and I am thinking of converting them to push fans i.e. between the radiator and FMIC. This is because of the very tight area between the fans and engine ( I have 2jz engine in my 350z).
What if I added one push fan to current setup? Will it help? Any ideas? Advice?

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,659 Posts
I would think it would be better to go push instead of pull so you are pulling only though one core and pushing through another instead of the restriction of trying to suck all the air through two cores? Proper ducting is always going to make the biggest difference though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don’t really know, I read one thread that it depends on the speed of your fan :S low rpm fans are good for pull type and high rpm fans are better in pushing air?!! The place I come from is REALLLY HOT!! Specially those days. you can imagine driving your modified car at 11 pm and the temperature is exceeding 45c!!

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,659 Posts
Idk I can see the argument but however if they are wired correctly they should shut off and spin freely after a certain speed and not restrict air at all. (how to wire them correctly is a whole another can if worms that is debated and very hard to explain and understand the schematics)

·
Registered
292 Posts
apparently the stock fan is the best
my car overheats when i have the a/c on for about 15min on the highway
however i have been working on getting my spal fan controller all hooked up and im going to try some other little things as well to try to keep it cool

·
Follow the white rabbit
1,659 Posts
the only thing I could think of actually doing is the fan shroud and dual zirgo option that mvpmotorsports.com offers. Just also get the (I think its the spal controlled?) and wire it up as it says so it can control your fans as the factory fan is.

·
Boost Junkie
12,799 Posts
The problem with some aftermarket style electric fans is the shroud that they come with. The stock shroud is very free flowing at higher speeds and lets plenty of air through. That isn't always the case with the aftermarket electric fan shrouds. You are better off with a pull style fan is it will pull air from in front of the radiator, through the radiator. The push style do pull fresh air, but there is no guarantee that they will push it through the radiator. THe air can go around. The stock auto Supra has the single mechanical fan, a small electrical pull fan on the driver's side and a larger push style as well on the driver's side. When you get a front mount you have to replace the large push style with a slimmer push style.

Steve

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
@ kuzi, I agree with what 1A1 said. From my understanding the stock fan should be disengaged during high speed driving. Overheating on the highway in a SC300 (possibly more airflow than a Supra) means you clearly have an airflow issue. If you put a gap between the electric fans the radiator it may help. I'd get good fans like the IS300 ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am a bit worried about the gap bettwen the fan and the engine. In the 350z its too smal ( less than an inch!!) This might cause the problem I am facing which is the car overheats at high speeds.

·
Boost Addicted.
1,217 Posts
Bro FYI there are some slim fans can be used as pull or push fan. Also it is good to know the fan CFM output and amps drow once you selecting any fan.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
If you are overheating at high speeds, I don't think the fans will help much because the incoming air is most likely doing a bigger part of keeping your car's engine cool.

Methinks you need to start looking into:
1.) A vented hood (as in huge, huge vents)
2.) Good ducting to feed / direct air through the FMIC, a/c condenser and radiator
3.) Properly sealing the space on the sides between the radiator, a/c condenser (if you have a/c) and the FMIC, thereby creating a very effective corridor of cooling air to pass through instead of the airflow breaking up and going through all-over the front-end of the engine bay / compartment
3.) An aftermarket front bumper with an even bigger opening for the FMIC
4.) An undertray that will guide air through the FMIC, a/c condenser and radiator; undertray should extend from the very front of the car and at least a few inches past the radiator
5.) Installing industrial grade foam between the chassis' nose rail / section and the radiator to make a good seal

I did most of these things to my car, and although I'm barely 400whp, during multiple WOT pulls from 1st to 5th gear (which is about 230km/h-240km/h or so), my coolant temps drop to 80-82 degrees Celsius but my oil temps shoot up to just over 100 degrees Celsius.

·
Proud MKIII Owner
2,407 Posts
Here is a question that kept floating in my mind for a while and its time to find an answer :p : Which is better in terms of radiator cooling, push fans or pull fans?? I have 2 pull type slim fans and I am thinking of converting them to push fans i.e. between the radiator and FMIC. This is because of the very tight area between the fans and engine ( I have 2jz engine in my 350z).
What if I added one push fan to current setup? Will it help? Any ideas? Advice?

Why are you thinking of changing your fan set-up? Are you having problems keeping the motor cool while sitting still? While moving?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.