Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, I have an 85 p type..... 250k miles. as I am driving on the highway around 3k rpm in 5th. the car sometimes decides to shove a quart or two of oil<literally, i have checked after it happens>, out of the exhaust in a massive cloud. then if I keep on driving it stops just as fast as it started. after another 20 mins. or so of highway, it does it again. I thought maybe.....PCV valve. but come to find out it doesnt have one......
CAN ANYONE HELP ME HERE????!!!!!!!
I dont have a clue what it could be.... I have replaced the hose that runs from the valve cover to the block..... but it still happens.
Please someone have an answer for me.

·
2JZ Mk2
1,183 Posts
That hose your describing is just a drain for the oil when you pour it in. Which conviently disentragates every time. You should probably try cleaning the TB. There's no PVC valve but the crankcase is vented to the intake by means of orfices in the throttle body. You could also try and disconnect that hose, and see if it helps temporarly. After 250k miles it could use a cleaning anyhow. The problem your describing could also be the rings, valve stems seals, etc.

Aaron

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most likely major engine probs. Rings would be my guess. :(

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesnt smoke all of the time.... so it is definatley building pressure somewhere. It hasn't happened since I replaced the hose from the oil fill to the block..... maybe it has something to do with crankcase ventilation. I have really put the thing thru its paces in all 5 gears on the highway followed by a long run at continous rpm's and nothing has happened......... so hopefully that was the problem. It really doesnt smoke except at start-up. So the rings cant be completely shot. Who knows.....
Anyways, im not putting any money into the 5mge since it will either be getting a 7mgte or 2jzgte that has been bored .040 over(a friends old motor, in pieces, but hasnt been together since the machine shop), in june or early july. Hopefully the tired old 5m stays together for a few more months.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
SupraSnd said:
Yeah: but wouldn't rings smoke continuously? It sounds like he is buiding pressure in the crankcase and then it is releasing all at once!
Yep, you're right. If it doesn't smoke all the time, it ain't rings. Cool that you got it fixed. Sounds like your valve seals are shot though, if it smokes when you start it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cure all, you can stick a gasoline soaked rag in your gas cap and light it. You might want to run far away too.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You might want to block the PCV orifice, and connect the cam covers to a Catch Can. This will vent in either direction, and eliminate pressure/vacuum buildup. If you have 250K miles, you could have a partially clogged oil return tube in the engine, which sometimes is open, and sometimes blocked. Also make certain you have the correct oil filter; a sticking bypass valve could be the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts