Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched for over an hour yesterday. I know it works, I know the power gains. What I could not find, is exact specs on what needs to be done. I need to tell the machinist what to machine down, who has the specs? Thanks.

· Banned
564 Posts
As far as I remember, its not worth the time nor the cost, for the mediocre gain. I personally think you can get same results with tuned adjustable cam gears (1JZ and 2JZ gears are identical). Just get HKS upgraded cams for 1J and call it a day....they pop up on ClubLexus and on eBay from time to time.

· Akai Suisei - 赤い彗星
17,317 Posts
^That's news to me... 20hp gains have been reported from the stock 2J cams. they're cheap and an easy upgrade. Why isn't it worth it?

· Carma Performance
1,058 Posts
Do you have a set of 2J cams? I have done this before but do not have the exact measurements that I machined off of the 2j cams. I think on the exhaust cam the first journals thrust has to be cut down around .020" . This can easily be measured off of a 1j cam with a dial caliper. Then on the first journal of both cams the diameter has to be cut down to fit the cams seals. Again this cam easily be measured off your old 1j cams.

I have also measured both 1j and 2j cams. The 2j cams are bigger in both duration and lift. My notes are at the shop, I can post the exact measurements tommorow

Erin

· Registered
860 Posts
Whoever gets their cams in 1st, can they please post up the exact specs with a picture to explain. I have seen one pic from rgguy but it isn’t 100% clear.

My cams have been sent from US yesterday. Postage cost more than the cams!

I will be running at the strip with stock cams then 2j to see the difference. Also, AFAIK I will be the first to install them on a single turbo 1jz. And also the first to install them in Australia. :)

· Registered
6,381 Posts
chris davey said:
Whoever gets their cams in 1st, can they please post up the exact specs with a picture to explain. I have seen one pic from rgguy but it isn’t 100% clear.

My cams have been sent from US yesterday. Postage cost more than the cams!

I will be running at the strip with stock cams then 2j to see the difference. Also, AFAIK I will be the first to install them on a single turbo 1jz. And also the first to install them in Australia. :)
Shoot, if only I knew, My family left for Aussie yeasterday, they could have brought it over....oh well.

But as far as those cams getting no gains is news to me as well..I think there is a guy in Norcal who does the maching for like 80 bucks or so..rgguy was sending a bunch of them to him for some members...

· Registered
939 Posts
I was actually driving them over to him. :rofl: I did this over 2 years ago on mine. its up to 90.00 shipped back to you in the states anyway. Its a good swap for the money a cheap 20hp for less than 200.00 and better top end till redline sounds like a good deal to me.
Cary
Yes those early pictures did suck didnt they.

· Registered
873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Erin Carpenter said:
Just measure it. If your machinist cant measure it up off of the 1J cams he shouldnt be doing it for you.

Erin

Yeah, more of a pain then I wanted. My car is about an hour and a half from me, and I have the 2jz cams with me. Would rather have found specs, instead of driving out there to remove the old ones.

· Not so boring anymore
7,936 Posts
VJ RC51 said:
USDM stock 2JZGTE cams are cheap!! I got my set for $60. I can find em all the time for under $100.
lol where did that come from?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.