Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
for those who have done the HG job...how did you put the head back on without dropping it or tearing the gasket. I do not have an engine lift and i'm not going to buy one just for this. Thanks!

·
Kancho Battle Garage
850 Posts
one guy on the front, one on the drivers side. keep the wiring harness out of the way and make sure you got a clear shot.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Okay, get a third person. It's a little awkward for even two people, so either take the hood off or use some rope to hang it from a 2x4 so the people on the sides have better control and you can be free to guide it into place.

·
Shop Tech All Around Auto
510 Posts
I usually have my partner help me with a head this big. We put a head bolt through each of the holes in the head where the alignment dowels are in the block. We can watch the ends of the bolts as we set the head down, guide them directly into the alignment dowel holes, and use the bolts to guide the head down. When I'm doing this by myself, I hold the head so that each of the two bolts is resting on a finger tip, then feel for the dowels. When I find them, I let the bolts slide in, move my hands, and set the head down. Works every time.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well I did get a third person and got it on only to find the DUMBASS that rebuilt my head put the heater union hose straight into the firewall. I can't wait to storm in there on monday with my head :)

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
if you dont have them on your b lock or head, get the head stud alignment pins, theres 2 of them in the block, buy 2 pizzas and a 20 pack, invite 2 friends over, and get that head on, doesnt take a lot of muscle, the head only weighs 70 lbs about, so two to lift it, a third to check alignment.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
if you dont have them on your b lock or head, get the head stud alignment pins, theres 2 of them in the block, buy 2 pizzas and a 20 pack, invite 2 friends over, and get that head on, doesnt take a lot of muscle, the head only weighs 70 lbs about, so two to lift it, a third to check alignment.
sounds like the best plan to me

·
It might run right......?
1,492 Posts
i bolted the hooks u use to pull the engine onto the head use them to hold it and put it into place i have everything zipped tied back or laid out my way just put it on the dowels then hand started all the bolts

it did kill my back doing it alone i have had help every time now since

·
Registered
6 Posts
when i have to do it by myself, i roll up two small towels and lay one along each side of the block long ways. Lay the head down on them so it doesnt just slam down. When you get it ligned up, slowly pull the towels out one side at a time and it slips right down into place. Ive done that a few times and it seems to work ok.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i have to do it by myself, i roll up two small towels and lay one along each side of the block long ways. Lay the head down on them so it doesnt just slam down. When you get it ligned up, slowly pull the towels out one side at a time and it slips right down into place. Ive done that a few times and it seems to work ok.
yea I was using cardboard and used the method you're talking about. It seems to work well enough.

·
Registered
503 Posts
or just use head studs. :agreed:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts