Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Matthew 6:33
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone put 6.5 speakers in the rear panels (area that has cloth/leather next to back seats)? I went to a shop and they advised they would fit nicely. This is where they have the rear speakers on 6th gen Celicas from the factory and they sounded nice in my previous car. Has anyone installed them in this location? The pros... the cons? The factory two piece rear speakers on my 89 sound terrible as far as mid bass is concerned. Pics would be nice if anyone has done this.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Fit nicely? I don't know about all that. Suppose it depends on how good a job they do and how much money they wanted to charge you to make it happen.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Spiv said:

that help? Being 6x9, I wouldn't exactly say they're an easy fit, but perhaps 6.5's would be easier.
I was just thinking about your setup, looks nice all finished. How do they sound? I'd love to meet up some time to hear them for myself, where in orlando are you?

·
hooligan
475 Posts
up around where goldenrod/university intersect, I'd be happy to give you a sample, though right now the sub is disconnected while I'm screwing with it. I sealed it in, and it seems to have stripped the screws out of the enclosure, so I may be going another direction with it. In other words, those 6x9's are the only speakers running in my car at the moment.

Even so, the 6x9's have a great sound, even reasonable bass (just not mad bumpin' yo). Anytime though really, besides, I would really like to get a look at your car. It looks great, and your mods list gives me a woody.

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was talking about putting the 6.5s wear the cloth is in your picture. I never would have thought that 6x9s would fit there. Aren't you worried about them getting damaged where they are if someone sits in the back seat?

·
slowly giving up...
1,069 Posts
thats a badass setup. i'd be more worried about damaging people's ears rather than damaging the speakers.

i've got those same 6x9's in boxes in my trunk. they sound real good in boxes, and have more bass than you'd expect...

-shaeff

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have kids that get in an out of the back. Nothing like jr high kids with bookbags to tear a pair of speakers up. I agree, it probably sounds great. MyMUSICveins, would the grills fit on with them mounted there?

·
hooligan
475 Posts
grills will fit on them, and grills are going onto them soon as the supra fund infaltes. But yeah, on the occasion that there are people in the back seats, they have noted that it's particularly loud, so I always turn the music down whenever I have more than one passenger. As far as passengers damaging them, most people riding in the supra are aware of how babied the car is, and are careful not to damage anything. Kind of a perk to having a bunch of friends who are into cars too.

Somewhere I have a pic from someone who did put some 5's or 6's in the cloth part, I'm sure I got it off this forum while researching for my own project, so someone here has a setup like that.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Spiv said:
up around where goldenrod/university intersect, I'd be happy to give you a sample, though right now the sub is disconnected while I'm screwing with it. I sealed it in, and it seems to have stripped the screws out of the enclosure, so I may be going another direction with it. In other words, those 6x9's are the only speakers running in my car at the moment.

Even so, the 6x9's have a great sound, even reasonable bass (just not mad bumpin' yo). Anytime though really, besides, I would really like to get a look at your car. It looks great, and your mods list gives me a woody.
Cool, we should meet up sometime for sure then, I work @ the Toyota dealership on the corner of University and 436, so thats very near. Im really curious how the 6x9's sound, so really, it's better they are the only ones working currently. Let me know what day/time is good for you, and we can pick a place.

Anders

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
Spiv said:
hell, I go to the post office right next to that. Do you drive your car to work? maybe if I see it out there I'll just swing in.
Yea, she's my daily, swing by the service dept. any time, I'm usually there Wed,Thurs, & Sat's. Sometimes I work additional days as well. Let me know what day you plan on swinging by, and I'll let you know for sure that week what days I'm working.

Anders

·
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
MyMUSICveins did you do those 6x9s yourself? If so, how much would you charge me to do my 89? Since the grills will go on, I will probably go with them. LMK, I am about 45 min from Orlando.

·
desufnoC
1,842 Posts
csnow said:
MyMUSICveins did you do those 6x9s yourself? If so, how much would you charge me to do my 89? Since the grills will go on, I will probably go with them. LMK, I am about 45 min from Orlando.
I think your confusing me with Spiv. Spiv is the one with the 6x9's

;)

·
Registered
5,966 Posts
MKIII87Turbo said:
They might fit if you use spacers. Seems to me I was going to do the same thing and there wasn't enough room in the back.
In my last Supra , i had it in the side panels in the back with 1 '' spacers.

They worked well, and I had used MB Quartz low profile speakers.
They were just two way and sounded real nice.

·
hooligan
475 Posts
csnow said:
I did do them myself, though to do them for you I'd prefer to do it through my shop on account of a couple things. 1) the shop is in cocoa, just off 95' at the 520 exit, so won't be much of a trip for you, and 2) I'll get john (owner) to outsource the recovering of the panel with vinyl. Why? Because while I think I did a par job on them, it's not a professional job at all. Frankly they're the 1st thing and only thing I've recovered so far, and I think the pros are going to be a much better choice on that. 3) legal mumbo jumbo.

Either way, call the shop (Motorsports Unlimited, 321-633-0305) and let them know I said I'd be willing to replicate my panels (my name is Ryan, btw), and see about a price. I'll talk to them tonight and let them know what kind of hours are involved in it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts