Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YES I HAVE SEARCHED AND RESEARCHED THIS TOPIC

hi there.. i have recently purchased a stock JDm motor.. it has about 30 000 k on it as they say. anyways the HG went and i am just going to be putting in a stock toyota HG with arp torqued to 85 ft/lbs now i am doing this in a weekend..

1. Do i have to resurface the head?

2. What should i look for when removing the head? anything i should know while doing this type of job..

3. do i need any glue or lub on the studs or the gasket for it to seal properly..

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Check the head and block to make sure they are still flat. As long as they are flat, you don't need to resurface them with an OEM head gasket.

Removing the head is pretty basic, nothing special there that I can recall - post up here if you have any questions.

You'll need the ARP moly lube that comes with the ARPs, and some oil resistant silicone sealant for where the inner timing belt cover is bolted to the head. Toyota sells a silicone sealant that works very well for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
taking off the head is pretty straight foward then.. just get that copper spray and some oil resistant sealant...

do the cams or cam shafts have to come out in order for me to put in those studs?

·
Madd Tyte JDM yo ®
7,014 Posts
get FIPG, the black stuff. its for Oil pans and valve covers... dont get the Orange, thats for trannies and should never come in contact with motor oil.

also, you NEED to resurface the block and the head for any head gasket changery... i tried to do a budget HG swap and only have the head done... 6 months later it came back to bite me in the ass. my car was down for over a year as i decided to go all out, then build a stroker, then come to the grips that this isnt even the chassis i want to build... and im just NOW putting it back to stock... with ARP studs @ 105 lb/ft and HKS 2.0 stopper HG...

i had to learn the hardway... if youre going to do it cheap, save money on the HG and spend it on the prep. dont try to save money in both places

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok i didnt want to take out the cams cause im not familiar with the timming and how the valves are supposed to open with each cylinder.. im sure i can get someone to help me on that one..

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you dont have to resurface because im puttin in a stock head gasket thats what hear anyway..(uless its warped)

·
Big HP = Big Downtime
2,995 Posts
if it got hot at all GET IT RESURFACED. its not worth the risk.

cnewingham said:
oh crap I didnt know about doing this. Will it cause you to have a major oil leak?
Yeah if you got the toyota gasket kit that ones included. I was left with that one after and didn't know where it went. Not a huge deal

·
Savage Member
1,033 Posts
It completely depends on your opinion I think...

But when I did my HG, i used a stock one and took out all the valves myself including the cams and had it dipped and checked for warpage... I didn't do anything to the block except use a wire brush to clean off the old gasket stuck to it. I also used some break cleaner on it.. Thats about it.

Make sure you put a good amount of the lube on each bolt, because if you don't they like to back out....

·
No One Ever Listens To Me
5,467 Posts
wow so much misinformation in here let me help

1) DO NOT USE COPPER SPRAY PERIOD...it will almost always clog up the water jackets and cause another BHG....the people who have used this and not had another BHG are VERY lucky.

2) doing any hg job you should ALWAYS resurface the head. regarldess of warpage etc...its an extra 45 bucks and you KNOW it will be nice and flat and smooth.

3) you dont HAVE to resurface the block for a regular or cometic gasket install...just use a razor edge and some break cleaner to clean it up so its nice and smooth...this is of course assuming that its not warped...which should be checked with a machinists straightedge.

4) you DONT want to put a lot of lube on the bolts...that arp moly lube should be using spareingly because if you put too much and when you put the studs in it will seep out onto the block and gasket surfaces and then cause an improper seal when the head is torqued down.

there have fun ;)

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
IdealSupra is correct on everything.

Do not use copper spray.
What's the point?
The stock gasket is a lot more foregiving then most gaskets, so you will be fine.
Most suggest only use copper spray when your reusing a gasket.

no need to resurface the block.
My brother never did, ran a stock headgasket, and put well over 350rwhp, and never once did the car overheat, and show signs of a bhg.
Unless the block is terribly uneven, then resurface it, but i doubt that will happen.

Just resurface the head.
Moly lube the studs.
Turn the camshafts, so you can tighten the arp studs.

you should know the rest from here

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
lmao

hey hey, let me put something in my sig

1 - 20 of 32 Posts