Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installation was simple took about an hour (I take my time). Clutch and A/C fan's fit perfect, everything bolts to the RAD like the stock RAD. Bolts in on top and bottom for A/C fan's, as well as the fan shroud. I also threw some Toyota Red after installation was complete.

Impression's:

I let the car idle for 40mins while I was fixing another Supra member's car. The stock temp gauge was at "C" for the entire 40mins.

I test drove it that night. I was beating the heck out of it at 20psi (around 480rwhp) in the tunnels and highways. The stock temp gauge max reading was 1/4. As soon as I started cruising again, the temp gauge was droppin back down to "C". I also removed the thermostat's middle part for more flow.

I guess I don't have to worry about overheating again. I also have to purchase a Water Temp gauge to know what exactly it's reading at. Enough talking, here's some pic's of it and an updated engine bay. Take care

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
Very nice. The threads about these rads recently really makes me want to spend the money (but supraforums always makes me want to spend money).

I thought I remember something about you redesigning your IC pipes... maybe it was just my imagination.

·
Registered
472 Posts
yeah man i got the pwr rad also. still havent used it yet. im currently finishing up my project.. nice car...

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
holy shit nice car man! How often does it see the road? Its VERY clean...

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
looks awesome man!
and let me tell you guys the pics dont do the pwr justice. it is very nice looking. the 2nd big surprise to me was how light they are. you'd think something that big and bulky would way a ton.
the only fitment issue i had was the bottom lip on the front bulkhead. it had to be bent down and out of the way for the rad to fit up close enough. that was mainly b/c of how the electric fans mount up to my rad. i had thought that if i still used the stock fan setup it would just bolt on there.
btw- when you took the center section out did you keep the jiggle valve in there or did it get tossed too? i still have the center section in mine but the jiggle valve is gone. you may need to put a full function t'stat in there for winter time- altho im sure you dont drive it much during the winter.

dave

·
25psi Bliss
1,448 Posts
Boosted Supra said:
....I also removed the thermostat's middle part for more flow.
Errrrrr....

Put a new T-stat back in.
The closer the coolant temp's are to normal operation temps, then the better your fuel economy and the higher your whp will be. Plus, it'll be almost impossible to overheat with the PWR rad, 'less, you've got serious cooling issues.

You can use the vacant stock turbo coolant feed line as the location for a water temp gauge sensor - it's 1/4NPT thread.

Car looks great man..

·
AEM SP63
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
DB, the entire section was removed, it's totally empty (can't see in the pics though). You are right, pics don't do the PWR RAD justice, it's sweet looking and pretty damn light.

Blackdevil, I believe loss of whp is there if it's in "limp mode" or 130 degree's. I can only prove that with a temp gauge. Although, the car does feel really strong in it's current state.

Thanks for the compliments guy's.

FYI, the car see's the street only when it's a nice sunny day.

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
Very nice!! Can't wait to finally meet you some day man. I've heard alot about your car from Wellington and Howard. Anyhow, nice set-up, good luck.

Khris

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Re: Re: PWR and Engine Bay PIC's

BlackDevilSupra said:
Errrrrr....

The closer the coolant temp's are to normal operation temps, then the better your fuel economy and the higher your whp will be. Plus, it'll be almost impossible to overheat with the PWR rad, 'less, you've got serious cooling issues.

You can use the vacant stock turbo coolant feed line as the location for a water temp gauge sensor - it's 1/4NPT thread.

Car looks great man..
ya, id be careful, its not good for the engine to run too cool, and its much more economic for it to run at a normal temperature rather than too high or too low...... overall looks awesome, i like the setup

·
Go All Electric
1,183 Posts
I was going to install the PWR radiator ... but I am having secnd thoughts. If the car is going to run that cold and the engine will never reach norm op tempterature ... then I gues that could be a bad thing. A tundra fan clutch should lower temps a comnsiderable amount .. and the FC is only about 80$ last time I checked. I may start another thread for further analysis.

Please see:

My new, relative, thread.

Thanks. Best regards. Looks great Manny .. and sound like it works like a champ. Maybe works too well though? See my thread please.

·
when this baby hits 88mph
2,198 Posts
AWIDESUPIE said:
I was going to install the PWR radiator ... but I am having secnd thoughts. If the car is going to run that cold and the engine will never reach norm op tempterature ... then I gues that could be a bad thing. A tundra fan clutch should lower temps a comnsiderable amount .. and the FC is only about 80$ last time I checked. I may start another thread for further analysis.

/B]

2 things-

1. a lot of why it runs so cold is b/c of the gutted t'stat.

2. if you are going by the stock temp gauge then its just a best guess anyway. im sure it is cooler but how much who knows. also see above. im interested to see what temps mine will run this summer in hot ky. pwr, red coolant, 2 12" fans, no condensor on an aftermarket gauge.

dave

·
aka FredMk3
586 Posts
Be-U-TI-FULL Manny!

Your engine bay is just...awesome!

Glad another mk3 guy is satisfied with the PWR radiato with stock clutch fan and shroud, it's on my list of mods!:) I will probably put a new Tundra FC this spring .

I would put back in a stock t-stat to have a normal operating temperature, you won't have any problem radiating the extra heat with that radiator.;)

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Re: Re: PWR and Engine Bay PIC's

BlackDevilSupra said:
Errrrrr....

Car looks great man..
Absolutely correct on this one.

With a modified t-stat, your thermal effeciency is down. Energy used to heat up the head can instead be used to push the piston down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts