Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has been a victim of some brainwashed goon trying to pull them into a multi-level marketing ring?

I recently met up with this girl who I used to hang out with occasionally in Japan, but we kind of lost touch after I came home, so I was really happy to have a casual lunch with her.

She starts talking about this great business idea and how it's all internet related, and then talking about websites, etc. The explanation was vague, but I asked her "This isn't one of those pyramid schemes is it"? She assured me it wasn't, and told me she'd bring some of the materials next time and that we should have dinner.

Fast forward 1 week later. I am sitting with this girl for dinner and she pulls out the materials for "Market America" or something, and right at that point I realize I'm fucked. She tells me she also has her brother in law coming to talk to me more about it...

2 hours later, feeling totally betrayed and pissed off, and ready to punch the tool who is trying to lecture me, I am rescued by my REAL friends...

The guy pushing the whole idea sounded like he hadn't even made it to high-school.

I fucking hate when people have ulterior motives yet they pose as friends...

Anyone else had their time wasted by these people?

Oh, and by the way, the bitch didn't even pay enough to cover her side of the bill. WTF?!

·
Champagne Papi
5,690 Posts
Ameriprise
World Financial Group
24 hour legal service (forgot the name)
goes on and on....

Friends from high school didn't go on to college, didn't start actual jobs in order to do this shit. Now their 21-22 and hating their lives.

The sad thing is.. when friends get involved in these bullshit schemes.. they don't go asking strangers for business. It's usually them tricking friends/family into doing it.

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ameriprise
World Financial Group
24 hour legal service (forgot the name)
goes on and on....

Friends from high school didn't go on to college, didn't start actual jobs in order to do this shit. Now their 21-22 and hating their lives.
The one thing you will notice is that 99% of the people who actually believe in these things are people like those you have described.

Bunch of fucking tools thinking they have discovered the ultimate get rich quick scheme... :faint:

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What happened to telling people they were full of it and leaving?
I talked to her after and told her off... But it's tough because these people don't really realize they're being douchebags. This girl honestly thought she was trying to help me. She's not very bright, and is also going through a really rough time in her life which has made her susceptible to predators.

People who use friends as stepping stones to achieve their own sucess make me sick.

·
Champagne Papi
5,690 Posts
I just remembered the time "my friend" who was doing the World Financial Group Organization.. asked me to come in for a meeting. I told him sure, just to see what kind of bullshit he was going to say. He then began explaining to me that he's a financial advisor.. I asked him if he had a series 6, 66, or even a 7 license. He said no.. I said legally you cannot be a financial advisor. He then asked me to leave saying he has a meeting.. obviously full of shit.

things to look out for.

During these presentations they start off talking about some ideal perfect world business idea/product that will sell like crack. The rest of the time they are trying to recruit you into it.

·
Wingless FTW
594 Posts
+1 on Ameriprise. I interviewed w/ them my senior year of college, knowing nothing about them, and I realized 5 minutes into the interview that it was a pyramid scheme. It's unbelievable that people get sucked into that shit.

·
Registered
572 Posts
My friend tried to get me to do that, called a spade for a spade and said no.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I use pyramids schemes. I use Primerica to obtain life insurance, mortgage, and securities licenses for cheap, instead of $1000 of dollars. Get them and get out. (although I know a few people whom do make a nice living out of it). I will say, although it works on the commission pyramid platform, it is probably the only legitimate one I've seen. It also puts Citi Group on my resume.

·
BOOBIES
3,214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I use pyramids schemes. I use Primerica to obtain life insurance, mortgage, and securities licenses for cheap, instead of $1000 of dollars. Get them and get out. (although I know a few people whom do make a nice living out of it). I will say, although it works on the commission pyramid platform, it is probably the only legitimate one I've seen. It also puts Citi Group on my resume.
I'm not saying these companies are complete scams and that it's impossible to make money. I just feel that the entire system is total bs and prays on desperate people and their friends and family.

Sounds like you've worked out a nice scam of your own though :)

Actually, does anyone know if these companies are getting more business now that people are desperate to make money?

·
out to lunch
2,602 Posts
Who here has been a victim of some brainwashed goon trying to pull them into a multi-level marketing ring?

I recently met up with this girl who I used to hang out with occasionally in Japan, but we kind of lost touch after I came home, so I was really happy to have a casual lunch with her.

She starts talking about this great business idea and how it's all internet related, and then talking about websites, etc. The explanation was vague, but I asked her "This isn't one of those pyramid schemes is it"? She assured me it wasn't, and told me she'd bring some of the materials next time and that we should have dinner.

Fast forward 1 week later. I am sitting with this girl for dinner and she pulls out the materials for "Market America" or something, and right at that point I realize I'm fucked. She tells me she also has her brother in law coming to talk to me more about it...

2 hours later, feeling totally betrayed and pissed off, and ready to punch the tool who is trying to lecture me, I am rescued by my REAL friends...

The guy pushing the whole idea sounded like he hadn't even made it to high-school.

I fucking hate when people have ulterior motives yet they pose as friends...

Anyone else had their time wasted by these people?

Oh, and by the way, the bitch didn't even pay enough to cover her side of the bill. WTF?!
I had a similar experience.

I met a girl at my old job and we talked for a bit, I got her number and we setup a time to go out. She called me the day of, we chatted a little and she mentioned what she did for spare money and asked if I would like to find out more about it. I said OK, not thinking anything of it.

I meet her out and she had brought along her sister who was in from out of town. So my mind went where most SFOT minds would go. :idhitit: We have a few drinks and then BAM, out of nowhere come these binders and papers and they are hard closing me on this Marker America bullshit!

I played along for a little bit, then got fed up, excused myself from the table came back and said "thanks, but no thanks." I never spoke to or saw her again.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I'm not saying these companies are complete scams and that it's impossible to make money. I just feel that the entire system is total bs and prays on desperate people and their friends and family.

Sounds like you've worked out a nice scam of your own though :)

Actually, does anyone know if these companies are getting more business now that people are desperate to make money?
I could get money by doing the recruiting thing. But I really don't care. You wont even make money right away of them. Your recruits have to pass exams first. So they can't be complete gullible morons. I brought in one person, who actually wants to quit because you have to wait for certain dates to take the test and, duh, actually pass them. His loss. Its easy licenses. I could take them and open my advisory office If I chose. Primerica is pretty honest in that they only sell good things. Only simple rate mortgages,, (MUST have good credit), only Term insurance, etc...But I don't give a damn. You can become salary if you are good and get decent recruits, they all make between 50-100k. From there up some make a lot, but who cares.

·
...smell like cabbage
1,097 Posts
lol is it normal for you guys to just be having lunch with friends and they pull out binders and shit? If that happened to me I would just leave right then. What is this a fucking tutoring session? GTFO.

·
Taxation is complicated
972 Posts
I had a similar experience.

I met a girl at my old job and we talked for a bit, I got her number and we setup a time to go out. She called me the day of, we chatted a little and she mentioned what she did for spare money and asked if I would like to find out more about it. I said OK, not thinking anything of it.

I meet her out and she had brought along her sister who was in from out of town. So my mind went where most SFOT minds would go. :idhitit: We have a few drinks and then BAM, out of nowhere come these binders and papers and they are hard closing me on this Marker America bullshit!

I played along for a little bit, then got fed up, excused myself from the table came back and said "thanks, but no thanks." I never spoke to or saw her again.
LMFAO!!!!!!! I went to one of the those meetings and as soon as they threw out the cliche.."how would you like to be the top 5% of the population that makes 100k a year without doing 8+ hours of work a day?", I started fucking around with them; I'd snore, I'd cough excessively, I'd interrupt with dumb-fuck questions like where is the kitchen.

·
V-tec JUST KICKED IN!!!
715 Posts
I've met a few in the past. While I was in Highschool I remembered there was a company called 2x2 which alot of teens were all getting into. It was one of the earlier pyramid schemes. They had no product to sell. their soul purpose was to get people under them.

I was pretty rude to the ones who tried to persuade me but I realized fending people like that off is almost impossible.

If you give them the light of day they will haunt you for hours.

If you just be rude to them then they will just see you as the "challenge" they've been hearing at those stupid conventions they've been going to and won't stop until they've over come it.

And, you can't tell them its a pyramid scheme since they will talk even longer to justify why they are NOT stupid and how they have NOT made a mistake by joining this company which sells no real product.

Just tell them you are late for something and bounce.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
lol is it normal for you guys to just be having lunch with friends and they pull out binders and shit? If that happened to me I would just leave right then. What is this a fucking tutoring session? GTFO.
x2 and I'd throw some fucking food on em too, just for trying me.

·
Extra medium
877 Posts
i was approached by some of my classmates before, around the time i was getting out of high school, the two that approached me did nothing with it, and failed at there pyramid scam.

However there is one guy from my high school who actually was quite successful with this scam, i guess he got high enough up in the company to make some money. senior year he was able to buy a house and a Prowler, while i know this is a shitty car, they still are quite expensive and pretty amazing for an 18 year old to be able to buy one.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts