Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an pyrometer gauge for my 91 turbo supra. Would it be better to drill and tap into the exhaust manifold or downpipe? I have the stock turbo with the stock elbow sitting on the stock manifold. I also got a 3inch hks downpipe if that helps. Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
manifold

·
2JZ swapped!
879 Posts
#6 manifold runner supposedly to see the hottest possible EGT.

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys. So do I have to take off the manifold to prevent metal shavings getting in the manifold? Or is it possible to do it without takin the manifold off?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Thanks for the responses guys. So do I have to take off the manifold to prevent metal shavings getting in the manifold? Or is it possible to do it without takin the manifold off?
i did it with the manifold on the car - makes tapping the hole somewhat difficult unless you are good with a power drill. No issues with the metal shavings though, they'll be blown out on startup.

·
Will my Supra ever run?!!
276 Posts
^^^ I'd be careful. I've seen almost a dozen turbos killed because people didn't think those little metal shavings would hang around. Yeah, they're small, yeah, MOST of them blow out on startup and don't cause a problem. YEAH, they WILL KILL YOUR TURBO!!!!

I've drilled and tapped a bunch of EGT probes without removing the manifold. You have to go slow and make sure you don't punch through. Keep blowing air or something to clear the metal chips often. When you're almost through, go grab a BIG blob of thick greese on the tip of the drill bit. Then go very slow until it punches through.

If you've done your job properly, there shouldn't be any shavings to fall in, and you should pick the last couple up with the blob of greese on the end of the drill bit. For saftey sake, just take a magnet and stick it through the hole, move it around and make sure you've got as many particles as possible out.

If you're careful, you won't have a problem, and you won't blow your turbo.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I forgot to mention, the magnet is the key ingredient to removing most of the shavings.

on a side note, for some reason, my exhaust wheel refuses to give up - between the metal shavings and spark plug insulators (thanks champion!) that have found their way through the exhaust, there isn't a single mark on the turbine blades

·
2JZ swapped!
879 Posts
Is it possible that if when you start it there is enough suction to suck some shavings into the cylinders?

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Most acurate place to tap:

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^^^^ anybody agree? I have got two choices if this is correct. I can tap the 6th runnner on the manifold or the underside of the turbo im guessing?

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
^^^ I'd be careful. I've seen almost a dozen turbos killed because people didn't think those little metal shavings would hang around. Yeah, they're small, yeah, MOST of them blow out on startup and don't cause a problem. YEAH, they WILL KILL YOUR TURBO!!!!

I've drilled and tapped a bunch of EGT probes without removing the manifold. You have to go slow and make sure you don't punch through. Keep blowing air or something to clear the metal chips often. When you're almost through, go grab a BIG blob of thick greese on the tip of the drill bit. Then go very slow until it punches through.

If you've done your job properly, there shouldn't be any shavings to fall in, and you should pick the last couple up with the blob of greese on the end of the drill bit. For saftey sake, just take a magnet and stick it through the hole, move it around and make sure you've got as many particles as possible out.

If you're careful, you won't have a problem, and you won't blow your turbo.
I heard vaseline would be able to catch all the shavings. Would that be ok to use?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Why would the number 6 cylinder be the hottest? since egr is used on that cylinder, it should actually be the coolest. since the purpose of egr is to lower combustion chamber temperatures.

anyways, I put mine in the turbine housing, exactly like that picture.

·
Registered
3,877 Posts
either there or in the manifold right before the turbo...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts