Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well i have been saving for a while now. And well i want a new motor i have a 1986.5 N/a supra and well i have been doing body and suspension and breaks are about to get totaly redone. the car looks nice but is missing something the N/a motor is not something i like. So i have #roughtly $2500-3000 to spend on a engine and everything i need total final cost nothing else. I guess i would also need the tranny and maybe a rear end with LSD. so should i and is it possable to get a 7MGTE with R154 and rear end for that price. Or is it possable to get a 1JZ front clip and everything thing for that i have looked around and the 1JZ is kinda spendy on jarco for about $3000 with out rear end. What do you guys think discuss

PS sorry for the long post i know you guys dont like to read :(

-Jeremie

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Personally, I think the 7m-gte would be the easiest/cheapest to swap, unless you need to rebuild the 7m, and the related parts would be cheaper/easier to get then with either of the jz motors. I left my NA rear in, works great, but spins the motor a little high if you do a lot of highway driving; still getting 22mpg though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah thats true. I do a lot of highway driving but it wouldnt be my daily driver. But still i dont have to much money so maybe just a 7MGTE and tranny swap hmmm the next thing were the hell to find a nice one in MN lol thanx for the help

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
np. your best bet, for the swap parts, would probably be to find someone parting a car, or buy a wrecked car, etc. I used a JDM engine, came with everything I needed for the engine, but I had to find the other parts (ecu, wiring harness, afm, oil cooler, ic/pipes, ignitor, exhaust, & a few misc. parts). I also just used the NA trans, no real need to swap it unless yours is shot, or you're going to run high hp (or if you just want to). HTH

edit: if you do swap the tranny, you'll also need to swap the driveshaft, they are different lengths

·
Stock Boost SUX
1,660 Posts
Nope. Get the R-154.

Theres an entire thread about 7M vs 1JZ if you wanna read up on em both.

·
Boost Addict
622 Posts
Dr. Jonez ran that for a while, if it's in good shape, it should last. His eventually failed, but it was very high milage (and he runs his car pretty hard). You should check out his site, if you haven't already:

Dr. Jonez website

conversion info

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm well i guess i dont need a tranny right away. But i should ill have to see what i find.

·
Invert.
257 Posts
MnDriver said:
Hmmmm well i guess i dont need a tranny right away. But i should ill have to see what i find.
Do you mean a tranny at all or a new one? best...........joke.........ever :blah:
I'm so asamed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts