Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Slow in NoVa
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my SP58 budget went in on friday night. From start to finish it took 9 hours (stock removal and budget install went about 50/50 timewise no egcv bolt problems!). The only problems we had on the install were the wrong size bolts included to match up the downpipe to the turbo (too short) but luckily we had some laying around and we had to do some slight cutting to get my greddy 3row pipe to match up to the sp pipe. We also had to cut the AIC bypass pipe, but its always better to have something too long than too short :) it may even be long intentionally. Everything else with the kit fit very well and looks really good.

Now my problem after install is I have an overboost. running with my boost controller off, my boost is going as high as 21psi. I have stock fuel throughout, and no means to adjust my afr yet so this is not the best of situations. After the first couple of times it happened I have stayed away from WOT to keep the pressure from getting too high and risking running lean. I think larry told me I could safely push 18 psi and I had planned on sticking to that as a high setting and 16 as a low setting at least until I got some afr control. We ahve tried wastegate adjustment and set it as low as it could go to no avail. I know I could possible have a boost leak, but I did not have any problems before the install and I was wondering if there was anything I missed on the install that would cause this. Larry had said the wg setting was 15, so I was expecting non-controlled boost to max out at 15.

I also have some high rpm misfire, but that probably just means I have to gap my plugs down more. right now I have the NGK 6097s with the .32 gap.

Any help would be appreciated and if anybody has any questions about how the install went or any other specific type questions, I would be happy to answer them.

Larry, it's a great kit, and I am now the envy of the others in my club, thanks!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Boost controller doesn't matter if the WG won't even hold boost with the BC turned off. Mine WG holds boost between 15-17 PSI depending on temp. I'm not sure what your problem is. Also like stated above, just gap those plugs down to .28-.26 and your misfire will go away.

·
Ex Mkiv TT Owner
137 Posts
check to make sure you installed the vac lines properly.

B

·
0 Posts
This is off your topic but I want to ask it anyway.

Does your car have any stalling problems since you switched to the single? Especially if you rev the engine in neutral...will it drop back to idle or stall?

Trying to figure out if all stock MAF + Single equiped cars have this stalling problem...

Thanks and you have a nice looking setup!

·
Slow in NoVa
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shield of ugly is the polished manifold cover that goes over the stock manifold.
This kit is pretty good. I have a little more lag than the stockers, but not too much. It spools up real fast and I can only imagine how much larger turbos would pull. Being that I only do the track every couple of months I was more apt to get this turbo for daily driver use. The kit goes in with few problems. In the end it really comes down to the tools you have. My buddy who helped me has every tool under the sun. From crazy extensions and swivels down to torching bolts it made it real easy.

·
Na Zdrowie
958 Posts
Celica91st said:
Can you still put a strut bar on there w/ the budget kit?

I have my cusco strut bar on my car with the 67 Budget kit. Fits no problem.

DakaDan

·
Slow in NoVa
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The budget kit has an internal.
I connected the turbo straight to the WG and no change :(
The last step will be to try and pressure test the wastegate actuator.

·
Slow in NoVa
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, I have the SP58GT which is only slightly smaller than the SP61GT. From what I have noticed you should have full boost under 4000rpms. Even though these are considered "small" singles you should be happy with it. The sound is much more aggressive than the twins, you could liken it more to a turbine enigine, would probably be the best way of putting it. I know these turbos can handle 30psi but I am running far more tame than that in the 15-18psi range. This is large in part due to the fact that I do not have a fuel system. I do have a W/B O2 sensor and my AFRs have been good to date, under 11.0, so there is room to grow with the boost. Installation was pretty easy, well taking the stock twins off is usually not that easy of a propostion, but getting the new kit on was fairly simple. Also, Larry and the rest of the team at SP was very helpful throughout the whole process and was able to help me with a couple of the finer points in the install/tuning process. I have heard good things about other shops, but I can state for a fact that SP has great service.

If you have any other specific questions, feel free to send them my way.

B

·
0 Posts
Its your car a 6-speed or auto..? can you post some pictures of the kit before you put it in the car and after ..

Was the kit complete.. did you have to get anything else to do the install..? and how much was the kit with the SP58GT

Do you plan to dyno the car some time soon... when you get your boost issue fix...?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts