Supra Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I was wondering if I could just install an electric fan and have it run all the time. I don't have an AC, and I'd like to run with a normal thermostat. Would this pose any problems?

Thanks,
Cory

· Señor Member
5,246 Posts
Nope, theres no problem with running them all the time. Thats how I've got mine hooked up. Even though the fans are hooked up to a relay with a thermostat that probes into the radiator, I just turn the thermostat all the way down so the basically run all the time, unless it like 20 F degrees! :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. Soon, here in Destin, Florida, it'll be around 90-100 degrees everyday. The fan will probably need to be on all the time.

-Cory

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Interex_87 said:
Nope, theres no problem with running them all the time. Thats how I've got mine hooked up. Even though the fans are hooked up to a relay with a thermostat that probes into the radiator, I just turn the thermostat all the way down so the basically run all the time, unless it like 20 F degrees! :D

Hey bro do you have to turn the knob of the thermostat off every time you shut off the engine?I need ignition hook up so it will shut down whenever my car is off,can you help?

· Señor Member
5,246 Posts
Mk threeing said:

Hey bro do you have to turn the knob of the thermostat off every time you shut off the engine?I need ignition hook up so it will shut down whenever my car is off,can you help?
Hey man, well you have to hook up the relay to an IGNITION positive. Your currently hooking up your + to a constant positive and thats why you have to turn your knob everytime.

I found that the closest ignition positive signal is on the fuel pump resistor box. It's on the drivers side above the fuse box and next to the strut tower. It's silver in color. Use a tester to find the positive wire ONLY when the car is switched in the ON position. I'll take some pictures tomarrow of my install.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interex_87 said:

Hey man, well you have to hook up the relay to an IGNITION positive. Your currently hooking up your + to a constant positive and thats why you have to turn your knob everytime.

I found that the closest ignition positive signal is on the fuel pump resistor box. It's on the drivers side above the fuse box and next to the strut tower. It's silver in color. Use a tester to find the positive wire ONLY when the car is switched in the ON position. I'll take some pictures tomarrow of my install.

Interex_87,
yeah i think pics would be the best bro,thanx
:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a writeup on Surpas.com. In brief, you can use the yellow wire on the solenoid resister as a switched positive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey guys i found the wire,thanx,but i'm not going to hook up the 14 gauge(awg) wire to a little skinny one,it might cause fire,or not enough electricity.In the fan manual it says use only 14 awg wire,to prevent fires.Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You want to hook the skinny switched one up to an electric relay which you can buy at any auto parts store. The relay should hook a fused 14 gauge wire from the battery to the fans. This way the switched wire will only need to draw minimum current; it will just be enough to turn the relay on, which will allow you to draw current straight from the battery. Make certain you put an in-line 20 amp fuse close to the battery. Do not hook the fans up without the fuse.:eek:

· I work on cars for free!!
507 Posts
just did mine 2 days ago

I just did the electric fan mod 2 days ago,took me about 3 hours total. Everyting went smoth. I used a thermo switch (rad probe) it turns the fan on when it hits 180 and off at 164. It also lets you hook a switch up so you can turn them on whenever you want. Im happy with the install. As for the switched power i went right of my alram inside. Its 14 gauge so i tapped into it.

· Registered
766 Posts
Warning the Electric fans can be loud. Also for cooling the stock radiator the stock fan and shroud are equal to the electrics. For HP purposes not much is gained.

A properly working stock cooling system is fine for the MK3's, all this permacool, fluidyne stuff is hype in my opinion. Do you think toyota made an inferior cooling system?

I do not doubt HP will be gained with the electrics, just very little.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yonaga said:
You want to hook the skinny switched one up to an electric relay which you can buy at any auto parts store. The relay should hook a fused 14 gauge wire from the battery to the fans. This way the switched wire will only need to draw minimum current; it will just be enough to turn the relay on, which will allow you to draw current straight from the battery. Make certain you put an in-line 20 amp fuse close to the battery. Do not hook the fans up without the fuse.:eek:

ARRRRRRGHHHH ive been to every autozone,and car part store,but they dont know what i'm talking about,they look at me like i'm a red headed step child!!!Yonaga what does that part called?i tried to explain but those people are not skilled enough ,they just run to the computer and ask"what kind of car is it?"ahhhhh

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ohh ok,ive seen it,but didnt know that i can use it.Hoe do you wire that thing anyway?

i'm going to get it right now:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Its a little long to explain but maybe this will help you understand relays better http://www.the12volt.com/relays/relays.asp
There are several ways to hook up the relay. The most simple is

If your switch doesn't have a light in it use this diagram and hook one side of the switch to ground and the other to the relay.
86 & 87 12 volts
85 ground from switch
30 to fan activation wire
87a not used

If your using a lighted switch with 12 volts output than you hook the relay up like this
86 ground
87 12 volts
85 switch
30 to fan activation
87a not used

Remember to fuse the relay power wire and if your switch is a 12 volt switch fuse it as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SoCalSupra said:
Do you think toyota made an inferior cooling system?
They sure dicked up the head gasket stuff. You can never have too much cooling capacity, anyway. Especially in hot-ass Texas.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well guys the reason i went to electric fans was because stock cluch fan slows down the whole scenary,plus when you switch the gears the rpm's dont suddenly drop,but kinda keeps up there right when you let go of cluch.So instead of switching gears @ 2000 rpms,you get to switch @3000(roughly estimating)its proly good for you turbo guys since the turbo keeps spooled @high rpms.

And i think toyota went cluch because it was cheaper and they thought it would give them less to do,i dont know,just thinking:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.